Redfish outfit

brownbass

Reaction score
What makes the perfect Redfish outfit? A rod that can lift? or a rod that is accurate? Can that same rod work as a flats rod for Bones and Permit? 8 or 9 weight? I am leaning towards 8 but I can be flexible.

Bill

flyminded

Reaction score
Perfection is in the eye of the beholder.

7 or 8wt can work for Reds and Bones.

8 or 9wt can work for Reds, Bones and Permit.

karstopo

Reaction score
An 8 or a 9 can work just about any day, windy or not. But I hear even ten weights are popular in Louisiana with those big bull reds that are frequently taken over there.

I like to have 2 or 3 set ups with me when I venture out. One as a short/mid range accuracy set up and one as a wind rod. My accuracy rod for the moment is a 7/8 CGR. My wind rod is an 8/9 G.Loomis Short Stix. I know either one can turn a good redfish with an appropriate tippet and hook.

Redfish are definitely a powerful fish. I’ve lost good fish when I’ve responded too late and the fish has run into the reef to be cut off in the razor sharp shell. But if there’s no hazards like reefs around, they will only run so far and constant pressure from a 7 or 8 weight will tire them out.

I have fought 30 plus pound redfish on conventional tackle but not fly rods. A ten weight would be better for those fish than a seven.

brownbass

Reaction score
I may never get back to the salt and fish for Reds with a fly rod but I keep thinking of my trips to the Everglades fishing for Reds and Snook with shrimp and want to get back south to try for them with a fly rod.

Bill

karstopo

Reaction score
I may never get back to the salt and fish for Reds with a fly rod but I keep thinking of my trips to the Everglades fishing for Reds and Snook with shrimp and want to get back south to try for them with a fly rod.

Bill
Yes, I don't know what everglade fishing is like for redfish. A short, heavy lifting type of set up might be ideal for laying shrimp or crab imitations into mangrove cover. I've wanted to try out the Echo BAG quickshot. Short Glass is really good for touchy cover work and pulling fish out of it.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

deceiverbob

Reaction score
The short answer is "it depends". for slot reds on flats I like an eight, but I have used sixes when the wind isn't up. My favorite rod is a Sage TCX in 8 wt but this winter I used a 7 wt Sage One and caught plenty of reds to 10 lbs. We have a fishery here for bulls in deeper water from 20-50" deep. The reds spend most of their time near the bottom but often come to the surface to feed on "red minnows", a type of anchovy. This is territory for a 10 wt with lifting power and an 11 or 12 isn't out of place as large jacks and occasionally tarpon will feed with the reds

BTW, I have too many rods now and no plans to get anymore soon, but if I were in the market I would seriously consider the Echo that Karstopo mentioned above.

Last edited:

brownbass

Reaction score
Yes, I don't know what everglade fishing is like for redfish. A short, heavy lifting type of set up might be ideal for laying shrimp or crab imitations into mangrove cover. I've wanted to try out the Echo BAG quickshot. Short Glass is really good for touchy cover work and pulling fish out of it.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
Thanks, Karstopo, I hadn't even considered a glass rod for this type of fishing but it does make sense, I will have to try out some glass rods.

driftless22

Reaction score
Thanks, Karstopo, I hadn't even considered a glass rod for this type of fishing but it does make sense, I will have to try out some glass rods.
I do a fair amount of fishing in the Everglades for Redfish and Snook. My concern about a glass rod for this type of fishing would be the extra weight. If you spend a lot of time blind casting along mangrove shorelines, a heavier glass rod will be tiring.

brownbass

Reaction score
I do a fair amount of fishing in the Everglades for Redfish and Snook. My concern about a glass rod for this type of fishing would be the extra weight. If you spend a lot of time blind casting along mangrove shorelines, a heavier glass rod will be tiring.
I think the rods Karstopo is referring to is a shorter and lighter glass than the BAG rods 8 foot instead of the 9 footer. The BAG's I tried in the past the 9 foot are way heavier. I have just won an Echo ION XL in an 8 wt at a rod and reel Expo at Feather-Craft. I already have a Redington Behemoth and will pair it with a Rio Outbound Short floating line. I will use this for Bass and bigger streamers for trout and if I get the chance take it to Florida for a try at some Reds.

bonefish41

Reaction score
This was a Biscayne Bay red on an 8wt Xi3 against the mangroves and kept him from going in so at least an Xi3 has enough guts in the but for larger redsmutantbiscayne.jpg

missin44

Reaction score
Depends on where you fish, in Florida an 7 or 8. Louisiana 9 or 10. I fished Louisiana this past December, smallest redfish put in the boat was 26 lbs. Never took the 8wt out of the case. We were using 9' 10wt Meridians stripping 5"~6" Clouser/Whister patterns.

brownbass

Reaction score
Depends on where you fish, in Florida an 7 or 8. Louisiana 9 or 10. I fished Louisiana this past December, smallest redfish put in the boat was 26 lbs. Never took the 8wt out of the case. We were using 9' 10wt Meridians stripping 5"~6" Clouser/Whister patterns.
Hmmm! Louisiana is closer. I was considering a nine weight as it may be more versatile in the salt. I probably wouldn't be fishing from a boat much, at least at first until I can get a better idea of where I wind up. I know my way around bass boats and canoes so maybe I can rent something.

Bill

missin44

Reaction score
Without a boat or some sort of watercraft it's going to be next to impossible from what I have seen, at least in Louisiana. For me if redfish is your target Louisiana is the best fishery in the world. Massive fish and lots of them.

peterjay

Reaction score
Bob hit it right on the head. It depends. There are reds and there are reds. For slot-size fish in a foot or two of water, my ten-foot 7wt is perfect, but for the 30-50 pound behemoths that are running right now in Virginia, it'd be nuts to use anything lighter than a 10, and a 12 would be even better. Your best bet would be to use your uncertainty to buy yourself an arsenal of various rods before your wife gets wind of it and puts the screws to you. You'll suffer, and you'll suffer plenty, but at least you'll be prepared for any situation once your bruises heal.

dylar

Reaction score
Condition and location dependent, for sure. Most of what I do is short-range sight fishing on spartina grass flats. This means shallow, clear water with no meaningful hazards. For that context, a rod that is accurate in tight and can make a relatively delicate presentation is perfect. I typically fish a Loomis Shorestalker 7wt when I'm wading the flats. It can and has handled big fish (up to 30-35 lbs), but would be wildly inappropriate for targeting them in the surf or going after bulls in the inlet mouths or nearshore reefs.