Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  25
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Redfish Advice?

Default Re: Redfish Advice?

Jesse Register is great. He alternates between Louisiana, Mosquito Lagoon (how I know him) and South Florida for tarpon depending on the season. I was supposed to drive up and fish with him in LA but the forecast was 20MPH winds and rain, so I can't attest to the LA specific experience (hopefully soon, though!).

He has a relationship with a local fish camp/hotel close to where he fishes and also recommended a couple options for staying in New Orleans. I had planned on staying at the fish camp since I was bringing my dog and was more interested in the true "bayou" experience, not staying in the city on that trip. Not sure where he'll be in March, but if he's there he is worth a call.

Flyin' High Charters | Mosquito Lagoon Fly Fishing Guide Capt. Jesse Register Redfish and Tarpon Guide

Capt. Jesse Register (@captjess) • Instagram photos and videos

2. Likes sweetandsalt liked this post
    Blog Entries

I havenít seen the usual photos of the big Louisiana fish this winter. Wondered what was going on. A lot of rain has muddied and freshened up a number of normally good spots around here, guess the same is happening to the east of us.

Thereís always the lower laguna madre. No rivers to speak of to mess up the clear water. Plenty of clear water shallow grass and sand flats with chances to sight fish for redfish and speckled trout. Snook are showing up in increasing size and numbers. Texas lowered the retention limits on Speckled trout several years ago and thereís some really nice trout to be caught. Bud Rowland sight cast in a foot of water with a fly rod a 15 pound plus state record fish in the LLM not too many years ago and has several 10 plus pound fish to his resume. Speckled trout take mad skills to sight cast to being very wary. Big trout are very crafty and tricky fighters and difficult to get in. Weather should be good that far south in March, although the wind could come into play.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

4. Likes sweetandsalt, brownbass liked this post
    Blog Entries

Chasing Redfish Off the South Texas Gulf Coast - The New York Times

An article in the New York Times about fly fishing the Laguna madre.

The article states the biggest redfish caught in Texas was 15 pounds something. That’s not even remotely true, even for fly fishing. I think the fly record is 30-40 something pounds.

6. Likes brownbass liked this post

Since my trip south is only partly to fish and also to spend time with my wife's aged Mom, logistics have encouraged Mosquito Lagoon where I have never fished. On-line, I communicated with Capt. Scott MacCalla who appears to be highly experienced and has a good skiff. Do any of you know of him? He fishes NRX's so I don't need to bring a pile of rods, my Stickman T8 and a SKY#8 for my wife will make the trip.

Thank you all and, karstopo, your observations about mucked up water in LA is an important piece of data. I still want to fish there, just on a more dedicated occasion.

8. Likes karstopo, fly2field, brownbass liked this post

karstopo, Do you fish this Laguna Madre area? It sounds attractive. How far a drive is it from Houston?

Blog Entries

No, I haven't fished the Lower Laguna Madre, LLM, other than one time pre-fly 30 years ago at Port Mansfield. Port Mansfield was a tiny fishing village then and I think it's not much different today. The drive to area in the NYT article is 6-7 hours from Houston.

I wish I had more experience with that area. I don't even know anyone that's fished there recently. Maybe someone with some experience will chime in or maybe there's an old thread laying around.

The trajectory over the last several years of the overall inshore saltwater fishery of the Lower and middle coasts of Texas has been reported to be good with some favorable environmental conditions and adjustments to some bag limits.

Several nice, and helpful Orvis Podcasts address "fly fishing for Redfish". Past podcasts travelled to South Carolina, and Louisiana. Tom's latest Podcast is to Texas, and is a great listen:

Podcast: Fishing the Texas Coast for Redfish and Trout, with Dave Hayward - Orvis News

Good luck in this new pursuit!

JTH

12. Likes karstopo liked this post
    Blog Entries

Listened to the Dave Hayward portion of the podcast. Good stuff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12