Favourite fish: Old bucket mouth

Backing: 50lb braid on the 9 and 10wt. 90lb on the 12

Regards,

Trevor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Likes brokeoff liked this post

Default Re: Salt water reels

Quote Originally Posted by dynaflow View Post
    That's a nice Bluefish.In Australia they're called Tailor and a prized sport fish..
    Bluefish are sometimes called Tailors here too, but only those of a certain size. About 2-5 pounds
    I have no idea why that is, but if you intend to harvest any for the table, that's the size you want.
    Juveniles are known as Snappers. Mid size are either Tailors or Cocktail Blues ( because they're the right size for the grill). And the largest are 'Gators or Choppers.. That's kinda self-explanatory
    Bluefish aren't the pushovers that some people would have you believe, they're just extremely voracious
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia

Hi camelbrass,I thought "old bucket mouth" in the USA would be a Tarpon not a GT?...in Australia a "bucket mouth" is a Barramundi as they have a similar huge gaping mouth they use to inhale their food.
    P.s.nice Abel collection mate.

5. Default Salt water reels

Dynaflow,

I was just being descriptive rather than using any common terminology. GTs do have a penchant for trying to eat oversized prey evidenced by that bird eating segment on the Blue Planet series.

Im very pleased with all those reels. Ive just come back from a trip to Astove in the Seychelles and theyre all currently drying out. They performed flawlessly, as usual.

Regards,

Trevor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cb, Did the SDS go to Astove and have you heard back from Abel about the other one? Do you ever see anglers fishing Canadian-built Islanders in the Pacific? Fine big game draw-bar reels that have not kept abreast of Tibor and especially Abel in forward thinking developments.

Blog Entries

Snapper blues trending toward the tailor sized come into our surf here. Fly stealers they are if you don’t have on something a little heavier or metallic on for bite tippet. Here, they often run with Spanish mackerel and sometimes speckled trout.

I don’t know any native Texans that eat them. I’ll keep a few, my daughter loves them pan fried in seasoned breadcrumbs. They are good if eaten fresh, but you have to like fish with some more bold flavors. I’ve decided most native Texans really don’t like fish, but rather prefer a thin strip of crispy fried cornmeal. Sort of an exaggeration, but mild flavored fish seem to rule around here with the natives and I’m a native so I can cast aspersions if I like.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

I've never visited Texas but I thought you folks roasted whole steers on a spit?

Bluefish up here in the Northeast are often busting along or beneath schools of bass. They are not fast enough to keep up with the albies though. Big ones will daisy-chain during spawning. The Autumn Blitz is spectacular.

S10 104 Montauk Bass Blitz vs.jpg

9. Likes clsmith131 liked this post
  10. Default Re: Salt water reels

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    cb, Did the SDS go to Astove and have you heard back from Abel about the other one? Do you ever see anglers fishing Canadian-built Islanders in the Pacific? Fine big game draw-bar reels that have not kept abreast of Tibor and especially Abel in forward thinking developments.
    S and S,

The SDS came along on the 9wt and worked fine on some big bones. I've not heard yet from Abel on the one with drag issues.

I've not seen any Islander reels in use. You see quite a few Hatches and Nautilus reels, the odd Mako and the odd Tibor. In the Seychelles there's quite a few Shiltons which probably reflects the South African flavour of that fishery.

I got to play around with some of the new big Hardy reels and they were very impressive. The guys that were fishing with them knew their stuff as well.

Regards,

Trevor

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

11. Likes fly2field liked this post

I have a first gen. Hardy Fortuna X reel in the 8-wt. size and I too regard it as impressive though I have not fished it all that much.

13. Likes fly2field liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    Bluefish aren't the pushovers that some people would have you believe, they're just extremely voracious
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    The Autumn Blitz is spectacular.

S10 104 Montauk Bass Blitz vs.jpg
    I was on a Martha's Vineyard beach once, in the middle of the day in the middle of the summer, when a bluefish blitz suddenly broke out right along the shore. Whole schools of baitfish were jumping right onto the sand to get away from them. The swimmers and sunbathers who had brought along a rod "just in case" jumped into action and were catching fish on all kinds of tackle. My brother, who had come unprepared, fashioned a handline out of my spare backing and a lead sinker, and caught two on just the sinker. Someone else was catching them on a bare hook. But that's not usually how it happens.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast