Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Salt water reels

OK Guys what's your favorite saltwater reels and why?

My favorite reels are Tibor Signature. Also what is your favorite backing?

Whats your favorite Saltwater fish?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Likes trout trekker, akos75 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Salt water reels

Those look great. Those are cork drags? Is that what you used on the Roosterfish and Dorado? I’ve caught a Roosterfish in Costa Rica on conventional tackle. Big, strong jacklike fish. Definitely would love to toss a fly at some. Dorado we have here in the Gulf of Mexico, but I need a ride out to get to them. Not a beachfront type in Texas.

Backing, I’m mostly using old spools of power pro or suffix 30 or 40 pound material. I have plenty of them left over from the years of spooling baitcasting reels. Thinner than Dacron. We have backing worthy fish here. Jack creavelle are one that prowls the beachfront. Bigger redfish in shallow water get into the backing. Lots of stuff just offshore that will do the job. There’s a whole big community of kayakers that paddle or pedal miles offshore to get king mackerel, Cobia, dorado, but I’m just too chicken or responsible to do that. Marlin, wahoo, Amberjack, tuna, etc, all prowl the Gulf of Mexico, but there’s some traveling to get to them.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

Yes sir,

Those reels do have very large sealed cork drags, which work perfect for big mean saltwater fish like rooster's.

I use 50 # Power pro braid for my backing.

I just love those big bad ass runs those fish go on.

Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia

Wink Re: Salt water reels

Nice reels and nice flies cb3fish,but you pose not one but three big subjects there Anyway,to address those three questions...
    Reels:My Tibor Everglades #G939 and current Abels (7/N and 9/10N)
    Backing: Hatch for the big reels and 50lb.Yellow TufLine for the rest.
    Saltwater Fish: Bonefish
    Cheers

Back around 1978 when I first started fly fishing in salt water I used a Conolon fiberglass rod with a Pfueger Medalist reel and I stuck with Medalist reels for 18 years when I finally got tired of the constant maintenance that a saltwater Medalist required.
    From then on, I've used mostly SA System II reels and have had no reason to change.

Back in the late '70s there weren't a lot of striped bass around, but there were plenty of bluefish and they were a blast on the fly rod
    ... and they still are.
    Bluefish are the meanest fish in the sea and will kill just for fun.
    They'll devour everything in front of them, then puke it up and go back for more.
    They've got teeth like razor blades that will destroy your flies and will even bite through your fly line if it gets in their way.
    They battle until the end and when you finally land one their eyes stare at you full of hate and you realize that if you make the mistake of getting too close, they'd gladly take off your arm or at least a finger.
    There's no more worthy fly rod quarry.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

7. Likes joe_strummer, falcon53, brokeoff liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    Back around 1978 when I first started fly fishing in salt water I used a Conolon fiberglass rod with a Pfueger Medalist reel and I stuck with Medalist reels for 18 years when I finally got tired of the constant maintenance that a saltwater Medalist required.
    From then on, I've used mostly SA System II reels and have had no reason to change.

Back in the late '70s there weren't a lot of striped bass around, but there were plenty of bluefish and they were a blast on the fly rod
    ... and they still are.
    Bluefish are the meanest fish in the sea and will kill just for fun.
    They'll devour everything in front of them, then puke it up and go back for more.
    They've got teeth like razor blades that will destroy your flies and will even bite through your fly line if it gets in their way.
    They battle until the end and when you finally land one their eyes stare at you full of hate and you realize that if you make the mistake of getting too close, they'd gladly take off your arm or at least a finger.
    There's no more worthy fly rod quarry.
    This is the one fish I've sought but failed to catch even one of so far. I get some chances to fish coastal Maine and I hear stories about how you can't keep them away when they show up. But they've never showed up when I was there.

My wife with a LI flats bluefish..."Mr.Tooth".

S06 57a Acabonic Bluefish.JPG

Your Tibor Signatures are beautiful but I don't have a "favorite" reel or rod either. When I find a rod I really like I seek a reel of quality that balances and matches it. Like Rip Tide, my first saltwater specific outfit back in the 70's was a Fenwick #10 I built from a blank mounted with a big Medalist (1498?). My first bonefish rig in the 80's was an Orvis W 8'9"/#8 with a cork draw-bar Frank Catino Bonefish with a 444SL that turned to a gummy worm in the Yucatan heat. I've largely gone over to sealed synthetic drag reels now. My Sage SALT has a big Allen Omega, NRX a Nautilus NV-G, my Scott a Hatch. I had a loaner Abel SDS 12-weight reel for a trip last year, an amazing reel. In a couple of weeks, fishing for redfish in FL's Mosquito Lagoon my primary outfit will be Stickman T8, Ross Evo R/S, line to be determined next week.

Abel SDS

SEY17 061 Abel SDS Seychelles s.jpg

So I don't have a favorite reel but feel fortunate to have available a handful of reel makers who are dedicated to building the best performing, most reliable reels possible. Though I have a special passion for bonefish, I love where they live, my favorite species is the one I'm presenting a fly to...bass, albie, bonefish, permit...

Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia

That's a nice Bluefish.In Australia they're called Tailor and a prized sport fish.They're traditionally caught using 12' beach rods and big Alvey side cast reels on open surf beaches....places like Fraser Island in south-east Queensland,which is the largest sand island in the world.Not much good to eat unless bled and cooked immediately as the flesh is soft,although they come up well when smoked.Their bite contains an anti coagulant so you'll bleed like a stuck pig if nipped.I use wire tippet when fly fishing for them as they make short work of anything else..including your Fly.The biggest one I've caught was 10lb.but not on a fly rod.

My current favorite saltwater reels are Galvan "Grip" reels (in the past I've owned Abel/Tibor/Charlton/Hatch/Lamson/Islander/Seamaster/Pate/Ross/Penn).

Favorite backing: Daiwa Boat Braid in 50#.

Favorite saltwater fish: Bonefish. I've caught Permit to GT's, Sailfish to Blue Marlin, none get my pulse up like bonefish in 12" of water.

Blog Entries

Current favourite reel: Mako 9550.

Favourite backing: Jerry Brown Hollow Braid Spectra 60lb (enables knotness addition of backing and formation of end loops, "smooth as" on the fingers when level winding.)

Favourite saltwater fish: This is like asking which of my children is my favourite. My tastes are fairly common though: queenfish, giant herring, all the trevally species, Australian Salmon, Southern Black Bream (a relative of the sheeps head), even mullet are fun!

Cheers,
    Graeme
    IFFF Certified Casting Instructor

Failing to practice is practicing to fail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast