Nippers and plyiers

el jefe

Reaction score
Abel nippers. Great, clean cuts, easy to trim knots close, and easy to manipulate with varying levels of hand strength (such as my father, who has old-age hand tremors).

flytie09

Reaction score
I like these all in one tools from Loon. Best I’ve owned yet. Eye clearer, scissors, stout pliers w/ handy carabeener clip. Light too.

36AD7903-0CA4-4BFA-9FAB-B55194389881.jpg

dennyk

Reaction score
I use the Loon tool as pictured above, only with the standard grips. For nippers I like these from Orvis, much easier for my hands to manipulate.

Denny

cb3fish

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was going to stay out of this, but since I've been invited....;)

View attachment 16400

View attachment 16401
Hey Rip,

I am in your corner with the toe clipper's.

I have owned Abel pliers for years and even the Abel nippers, got tired of sending them back. Now for all my rigging I use a two dollar set of cheap pliers and a dollar pair of the large size toe nail clippers from the dollar store. I buy about 3-4 pairs every other year. I also take them out in the Panga with me and after a few years they get kinda rusted up, I simply throw them over board and get a new pair. The expensive ones sure are pretty however they very simply don't work as good for a long period of time as the $1.00 clippers. I do a lot of rigging with #80 stuff for double hooks. my 2 cents-CB

duker

Reaction score
My nippers are Dr. Slick slant cuts, relatively inexpensive and the best I've found that aren't Abel or cost an arm and a leg. My current pliers are Dr. Slick bullet-headed ones; they're the perfect size for any fish or fly, big or small, and come in a nice sheath.

Problem is, I've never found a pair of pliers or multi-tool that doesn't rust like crazy in the salt water. First time I went to Belize my Leatherman Wave came away covered with rust; last time I went I needed to take a Scotchbrite pad and some WD40 to my Dr. Slicks to get the rust off. That said, at the rate I lose my pliers, I'll get the opportunity to try a new pair before too long.

CB, if you've got some time and are looking for some laughs, do a search for the "Abel nippers" thread--an all-time classic.

Scott

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
For those who have seen the movie Unforgiven; produced, directed and starring Clint Eastwood I'll offer a paraphrase. At one time or another I used everything you can name to clip leaders and now I use Simms Nippers Little Bill for what you did to Ned. :D

True that, I've had them all and I've lost them all, from pocket knife to biting, everything but pounding with a a stone. I won't ever argue the effectiveness of $1.99 nail clippers because I used a pair for many years as a form of protest. Up to that point I had lost every pair of 9.99 to 24.99 nippers I ever owned. The $1.99 nail clippers? I couldn't lose them if I tried because I had taken to wearing them on a neck lanyard. That was the same neck lanyard I used when a forum member gifted me with a pair of Abel nippers and I never lost them either.

Eventually curiosity overcame me and I tried a pair of the Simms line nippers. I actually like them better than the Abel tool. Of course I got the lanyard for them too and they are into year 3 or 4 I'm not sure which. In the overall scheme of life, finances and all I don't see where the cost of a piece of fishing gear weighs too heavily unless you have a personality disorder and become a serious hoarder of high end items you can't possibly use.

Pliers, now that was another matter entirely for me. Frankly I was shocked at the prices commanded for some brands. Let's be serious here, this isn't like being a professional mechanic and buying the best high end tools available, Snap-On etc. We need to remove the fishing hook from the mouth of a salmon or pike sometimes a toothy salt water species, but once the cost exceeded 200 bucks I was left at a loss for words............

I bought a couple pair of Dr. Slick Pieces model with a sort of long nose to them years ago and they fill the need. I believe they were around $24.95 each and I got a discount on 2 of them. I'm not sure the needle nose pliers in my garage tool box had cost that much so I think they are good. If the Abel or Simms etc. were under a hundred they may have been considered but jeez they are crazy.

By the way, Larry and I sponsored a 'Keep em Wet' photo contest last year and gave away 2 pair of Simms with the neck lanyard to the winners among other prizes. Look for that on other forums ;)

Last edited:

Hirdy

Reaction score
For light line fishing, Dr Slick Mitten Clamps. They clip onto anything so are hard to lose, both amongst the various gear I have on myself whilst fishing, and to have them fall off somewhere.

For heavier fishing, Donnmar pliers are my favourites. Strong and reliable, and they also have a couple of little holes in the jaws that will act as a pull point for tightening knots on hooks. They are expensive but have proven themselves to be well worth the money I spent.

Cheers,
Graeme

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Of course they are worth it! Just like 70 dollar bottles of Scotch or genuine Cohiba Esplendidos.

Might as well get things started, I won't drink ripple or smoke Cheroots or whatever they are called :)

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Okay--because CB demanded it (and because I know the rest of you need some laughs) here's a link to the infamous Abel nipper thread:

Abel nippers: Are they worth it?

Scott
I'm hesitant to look a that thread Scott. Scared I might have actually said something serious (three or five times), before this became the forum lesson for taking fishing gear just a little too seriously. :)

OK, I looked, 220 posts! Then one of the fun hater mods must have finally closed it lol :)

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
Does anyone use one of these things:

41P0I+cuDsL.jpg

I bought one recently for a mechanical project (a long story, but basically grabbing a stuck fitting deep in a machine without having to take the whole machine apart) but I haven't used one for fishing. I think it might be good for deeply hooked toothy fish.