Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default Re: HELP! First Guided Bonefishing trip on boat (Castaway Cay - Disney Cruise)

Quote Originally Posted by denver1911 View Post
    This is my point exactly: It can be stressful. Choose not to let it! Recognize up-front that this is a hard game and this is your first time playing. Recognize that things will go wrong. Let them. Itís okay. Nobody there but you and the guide. He/she wonít care if you donít perform like a champ. You shouldnít either. Just have fun! Learn from the experience. Celebrate the achievements you do have. Donít let the failures bother you. Did I say have fun?
    I'm sure I'll get frustrated regardless haha. Oh and I *hope* it's just the guide and myself... there's a chance that someone else may sign up for the excursion and I'll be stuck with someone who is completely unfamiliar with fly fishing I guess the best case scenario (at least for myself) is if I get stuck with someone else and the guy (or gal) is an FFFCI certified casting instructor LOL!!! I might get double-charged for *that* trip hahaha

Default Re: HELP! First Guided Bonefishing trip on boat (Castaway Cay - Disney Cruise)

Best advise I got before my first flats trip, learn to cast better. I know everyone can cast. But, being able to change directs, "pick up put down 10 ft out and to your left" are not normal things for freshwater fisherman. I put a bunch of lawn dart rings throughout the spare lot beside us at varying lengths. I would practice 45, 50, 55 and 60 feet. Two or three rings at each distance but spread out so that I had to pick up and move 20 ft or so to hit the next one. Adding 10 ft to a cast at 45 feet is more difficult than you would think. Once you get that down, go to a local pond and practice with a heavy fly! Remember casting yarn in the yard does not have the weight of a charlie or clouser. Do it for a couple hours a day. Your arm will thank you. I actually tied a fly that I cut the hook off of so it would work on grass as well.
    Finally, practice a bit with your left hand. Best thing I ever did. I could hit rings at 35 and 40 feet. So as the day went on, I would switch hands from time to time for shorter casts. Made a huge difference at about 3pm after 4 hours of casting!!
    flyfishingnwmontana.blogspot.com

3. Default Re: HELP! First Guided Bonefishing trip on boat (Castaway Cay - Disney Cruise)

Quote Originally Posted by mtboiler View Post
    Best advise I got before my first flats trip, learn to cast better. I know everyone can cast. But, being able to change directs, "pick up put down 10 ft out and to your left" are not normal things for freshwater fisherman. I put a bunch of lawn dart rings throughout the spare lot beside us at varying lengths. I would practice 45, 50, 55 and 60 feet. Two or three rings at each distance but spread out so that I had to pick up and move 20 ft or so to hit the next one. Adding 10 ft to a cast at 45 feet is more difficult than you would think. Once you get that down, go to a local pond and practice with a heavy fly! Remember casting yarn in the yard does not have the weight of a charlie or clouser. Do it for a couple hours a day. Your arm will thank you. I actually tied a fly that I cut the hook off of so it would work on grass as well.
    Finally, practice a bit with your left hand. Best thing I ever did. I could hit rings at 35 and 40 feet. So as the day went on, I would switch hands from time to time for shorter casts. Made a huge difference at about 3pm after 4 hours of casting!!
    Thanks for the advice on casting. I have some pie tins so may have to just use those haha. I've been tying a piece of pipe cleaner to the end of my leader for practice. I have some barbell eyes so I could probably tie those on + the pipe cleaner for visibility. What sizes/weights specifically are you talking about when you say "heavy" flies? And generally what range of oz/g am I looking at here?
    I'll have to tie up some flies. I don't have a ton of material. Any suggestions on patterns or tutorials on flies that are pretty easy to tie up and with few materials?

Good idea on practicing with the left - I'll have to try that too.

4. Default Re: HELP! First Guided Bonefishing trip on boat (Castaway Cay - Disney Cruise)

So I just checked the booking trying to see if anyone else booked the other spot and I'm pretty sure they did... so I have to hope that they are experienced and not a noob, otherwise the guide is going to have a lot on his shoulders haha.
    Currently I have the 9:55am-12:55pm trip booked but there is an option to go out at 1pm-4pm (and it looks like neither of those spots are taken). I'm assuming the wind and chop picks up in the afternoon, so that may not be the best idea versus morning right?

Default Re: HELP! First Guided Bonefishing trip on boat (Castaway Cay - Disney Cruise)

crazy charlies, gotcha charlies are the two I have always used. Shrimp patterns are the ticket. They can be dies with dumbbell eyes or chain eyes. Chain eyes for shallower water. I would practice with an actual fly.
    One last thing...practice what I was taught as a sweep cast. You basically bring the rod back horizontal to the water side arm, than once the line is straight behind you you bring the rod forward over your head in a normal casting motion. You are bring the fly line back against the wind, and bringing it forward with the wind. I also learned to sweep forward. Almost side arm coming forward.
    flyfishingnwmontana.blogspot.com

6. Default Re: HELP! First Guided Bonefishing trip on boat (Castaway Cay - Disney Cruise)

I forgot I had picked up several flies in Hawaii last time I was there and attempted to fly fish (skunked). I also have a few of my own that I tied (they're so ugly) but wondering if these would all work:

The four on the upper right-most are the flies purchased in Hawaii, if it wasn't obvious enough LOL

Bonefishing is more tide dependent than time of day. Tan and tan with light olive might be your best colors in #'s 2 - 6. The last time I fished Gorda Cay (out of the settlement at the south end of Abaco) there were a lot of fish and good ones but a three hour window is tight. Practice your casting, count on there being wind, don't worry about blowing opportunities...if you don't you will be the first ever...and above all strive to remain calm, focused and have fun, it is a beautiful part of the World.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12