Which EP fiber to make Merkins?

flycaster1

Reaction score
Looking to make some Merkin crab flies for south Belize permit. Want to use EP fiber, but there are so many types that I don't know which to buy. Some have suggested the 3D fiber, any suggestions here?

Flityer

Reaction score
Hi Flycaster1,

I watched Enrico tye at the last two shows I was at and didn't get to see him tye his crab pattern. But I did however get to see several completed crabs and they looked as though he used the 3D in green they looked awesome . I have to talk to him later this week and I'll find out for sure what he used and post it for you.Can't go wrong with the 3D though the colors are great in this line.

lancer09

Reaction score
I saw some EP rope the otherday that looked really cool. It was a variegated chenille sort of thing that you wrappted then trimmed for crabs and there are two color paterns. Saltwaterflies.com has them listed somewehre on their site.

flycaster1

Reaction score
I saw some EP rope the otherday that looked really cool. It was a variegated chenille sort of thing that you wrappted then trimmed for crabs and there are two color paterns. Saltwaterflies.com has them listed somewehre on their site.
Yeah, that's their new brush fiber. It does work nicely to making crabs, but I want to use one of EP's regular fibers. From other forums it seems that EP's 3D fiber is the one to use.

flycaster1

Reaction score
I just aunt lydia's sparkle yarn. Still have a lot of it...
I have been using Aunt Lydia's yarn, but although I can make a decent fly with it, it appears to me (saw a video of tying with it) that using the EP fiber will be easier and actually look better.