Fly Line for an 'all purpose' saltwater rod also reel question

fishtacos

Reaction score
I just bought an orvis tls power matrix 9' 8wt (tip flex) and I'm looking to buy a reel. I addressed this question to general discussion here: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f...01-fly-shop-reels-looking-saltwater-reel.html

I am also trying to figure out what kind of line I should get. I read on the "tips thread" a few. The mastery series I was hesitant to get cause I will be targeting many different species. I guess the bulk of this fishing will be along the Georgia coast for redfish and similar speicies.

I found some rio line on ebay for a good price. Is this anygood:
NEW! RIO MAINSTREAM SALTWATER WF8F 8WT FLY LINE - eBay (item 290368014621 end time Feb-06-10 06:22:07 PST)

Any specific suggestions or general suggestions on what to look for?

If anyone has any comments on the reel thread, I'm all ears too.

Thanks.

wjc

Reaction score
I just looked at that line, and I would think you'd probably like it. It has a short-medium head length and you should be able to feel the rod loading pretty easily. It also has a lot of weight up front to throw and turn over bass bugs and wind-resistant and heavy flies.

I think you would be happy with it, and you can't beat the price.

Cheers,
JIm

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
The main difference between Mainstream lines and Rio's premium lines is the coating. The premium lines have a slicker finish to them which make them slide through the guides more efficiently.

The Mainstream Saltwater is a good line for the purpose that you will be using it for. It is at a good price, and you would be getting it from the forum sponsor.

You may want to consider the SA Mastery Redfish Taper. It has a short head that is a line and half the stated size. Basically, it is the Mastery GPX Taper for saltwater. I used this as my Snook and Baby Tarpon line. Some of my colleagues used it for Bonefish at Christmas Island without any problems.

The Rio Redfish line has a similar taper and weighting to the SA version. You may want to consider that, too.

MP

wjc

Reaction score
fishtacos,

Sorry, I posted wrong information about the line. The saltwater Mainstream if different from the Mainstream line. It has a 60' head according to the Rio Chart below. That taper may be a bit long if you do not have a fair amount of experience.

If you click on the image twice, it will get big enough to read. The first line on the chart is not correct, so I guess the others are suspect as well.

Sorry about the mis-information.

Cheers,
Jim