Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spoonflies for Redfish

Default Re: Spoonflies for Redfish

thanks guys! the smallest size 1/0 eh eh... went to dig in an old tackle box...
    "Leave it as it is. You cannot improve on it. The ages have at work on it, and man can only mar it." Theodore Roosevelt
    "Live with your eyes open, you might notice something and you will have the opportunity to share it with the world." Argail

mustad made a hook perfect for spoon flies. here it is in 3/0 under a normal 3407 3/0

sandfly/ bob
    (www.bigmeadowsflyshop.com)
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing Gillie..

3. Likes theboz, argail liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
    Yep! Exactly those!
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

Quote Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
    mustad made a hook perfect for spoon flies. here it is in 3/0 under a normal 3407 3/0

wow, this hook perfect
    vintage Mustad) remains only to find where to buy
    thank you sandfly!
    "Leave it as it is. You cannot improve on it. The ages have at work on it, and man can only mar it." Theodore Roosevelt
    "Live with your eyes open, you might notice something and you will have the opportunity to share it with the world." Argail

6. Default Re: Spoonflies for Redfish

Spoon flies work well for me in Mosquito Lagoon during the Winter

Its interesting. On our last trip to Louisiana (see my post on it), we fished with two guides, each in separate locals. Our guide in Dulac/Cocodrie still loves spoon flies, and we always do really well with them. Our guide out of the Hopewell area, closer to New Orleans/Chalmettes, really hated them. He swore by a dark brown crab imitation that he tied. It was a nice fly, basically a lead-eyed wooly bugger with ring-neck pheasant swords as the "claws", and instead of the standard palmered hackle, it had brown marabou palmered around the body. It really undulated well in the water when stripped in short (6-8 inch), strips. It worked well when the water was clear, but when the wind really got kicking, and the water got whipped up muddy, we had a lot of trouble with the Reds seeing the fly. He absolutely refused to go to a spoon fly (which I had with me). He was pretty demeaning about them. I guess there are salt water purists too, and with out feathers and/or hair, it just wasn't a fly to him. He said using a spoon fly was "cheating". We caught fish, but I definitely think we would have caught more on a spoon fly.....
    Homer

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.

That's kind of odd for a guide to have such strong purist attitudes against the spoon fly...or any thing that would help catch more fish for his customers.

The name of the game is getting your customers on fish....not showing them the pretty views from the ocean.
    Less likey, more green dots
    BrookFieldAngler.com

Quote Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
    That's kind of odd for a guide to have such strong purist attitudes against the spoon fly...or any thing that would help catch more fish for his customers.

The name of the game is getting your customers on fish....not showing them the pretty views from the ocean.
    I thought so too, but his opinion was immensely obvious. We did catch some fish, but it was also very obvious that the fly was more for technical presentations on spooky fish. It had a very low "profile" in the water, meaning no flash, and no vibration to speak of. So in the mudded-up water we almost had to land it on their noses.
    Homer

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.

And that's the main thing I find strange. A guide needs to, and should, know how to adapt to changing conditions. If he's a one trick pony, then I can't imagine he will be profitable guide for too long. If he just does it for fun, and not the money, then good for him but if I'm actually paying for a guide, I expect results outside of what I could by myself.
    Less likey, more green dots
    BrookFieldAngler.com

11. Likes bigjim5589 liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123