Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: connection between class tippet and shock tippet

1. Default connection between class tippet and shock tippet

Someone saying the best knot for connecting the 20 lb class tippet to the 80 lb shock tippet for big Tarpon is putting a binimi knot on the class tippet first, then tie it to the shock tippet using a slim beauty knot. Why do I need to put a bimini knot on the class tippet first ?? Can i just fold up the class tippet then tie it to the shock tippet using the slim beauty knot?

Thank you for helping me out

TONY

Blog Entries

Default Re: connection between class tippet and shock tippet

Quote Originally Posted by laut View Post
    Someone saying the best knot for connecting the 20 lb class tippet to the 80 lb shock tippet for big Tarpon is putting a binimi knot on the class tippet first, then tie it to the shock tippet using a slim beauty knot. Why do I need to put a bimini knot on the class tippet first ?? Can i just fold up the class tippet then tie it to the shock tippet using the slim beauty knot?

Thank you for helping me out

TONY
    You can double over the class tippet first as you described, but it won't have the shock absorption that a Bimini will have.

MP

Or, if you aren't going for a world record, just use a 30# class tippet and do it as you and Mosca said.

A lot of the guys I know down here just run straight 60#. The hook will break or bend out before you loose your fly line.

Cheers,
    Jim

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

I use an albright knot. I've never heard of the slim beauty knot. I looked it up and found an animated site http://www.netknots.com/html/slim_beauty_knot.html I'm not sure if it would be better than an albright knot, but it looks pretty good.

Blog Entries

I use an Albright Knot as my connection between class and bite tippets for smaller game. On the back end of the class tippet, I use a Perfection Loop. The heaviest connection that I tie is 20 pound class with 60 pound bite. This is the leader that I use for bull Dorado.

For larger game, I prefer leaders with Biminis. These leaders offer more shock absorption.

MP
    Last edited by MoscaPescador; 02-10-2010 at 01:47 AM. Reason: typo

I albright the double line of a bimini to the bite tippet. Is that what you mean, or are you albright knotting the single line to the bite tippet, and knotting the double line to leader? I also take the double line in the bimini, and cut the loop. Furl the two lines and then put an overhand knot in the end. This keeps it furled till I tie the Albright knot. Gives it more 'shock absorber' thing.

Blog Entries

I Albright a single line of my class tippet to the bite tippet.

8. Default Re: connection between class tippet and shock tippet

Quote Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
    I albright the double line of a bimini to the bite tippet. Is that what you mean, or are you albright knotting the single line to the bite tippet, and knotting the double line to leader? I also take the double line in the bimini, and cut the loop. Furl the two lines and then put an overhand knot in the end. This keeps it furled till I tie the Albright knot. Gives it more 'shock absorber' thing.
    I am saying tie the bimini class tippet (20lb) end to the bite tippet (80lb) together using slim beauty knot.

That is a good way to do it, Tony, with the doubled line coming from the bimini making the connection with bite tippet using a slim beauty. That will give you 100% tippet on that end.

On the other end fo the class tippet a bimini, furled, with a surgeons loop will complete the setup. You will get good shock resistance with this setup.

Bimini's do not take long to tie.

Cheers,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
    I Albright a single line of my class tippet to the bite tippet.
    Is this because of the IGFA rule of the bite tippet can't be more than 12" from the fly to the first single line?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast