Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
  1. Default 8wt saltwater rod

iam looking for a 8wt saltwater rod under $200 between 150-175 best. their are just too many out their for me to make up my mind or find

thanks
    sterling harbor kayak fishing team

Default Re: 8wt saltwater rod

Temple Fork Outfitters Professional Series - $149.99. Best all around rod in the TFO line, fits most people's casting ability. Does fine in the salt, although I prefer the Axiom, TiCr or Teeny series rods in the salt as they are faster. The Pro is fast enough, especially if you're only going to salt once or twice a year, then the Pro is a fine all around 8 wt for whatever you're chasing.

Full disclosure is in order: I'm on TFO Pro Staff, and that's all I fish, so I can't speak to other brands.

Craig
    FlatsLander Guide Service
    www.flatslander.com

Blog Entries

You may want to consider one of those shorter "bass" rods for the kayak. They are saltwater safe. They are plenty stiff in the butt section for lifting fish. Plus, it is much easier to land a fish on the boat with its shorter length than the full length of a traditional rod. Two to consider would be a Ross Flystick and the Redington Predator. Bigcliff owns a Predator. He can probably comment on it for you.

I have some friends who regularly fish the California Delta off of kayaks with this type of rod.

MP

4. Default Re: 8wt saltwater rod

I'd check out Cabela's. Their fly rods are a good bang for the buck.
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
    Two to consider would be a Ross Flystick and the Redington Predator. Bigcliff owns a Predator. He can probably comment on it for you.

I have some friends who regularly fish the California Delta off of kayaks with this type of rod.

MP
    Yup, an 8wt Predator paired with a Rio Outbound Short, or a Sharkskin Magnum would work well from the boat.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

6. Default Re: 8wt saltwater rod

Try an Albright......they are selling out their stock. I have a Albright XP and it seems fine.

GP Fly Rods | AlbrightFlyFish.com

I just picked up a Redington CPX on sale for under $200! This time of year you should be able to pick up deals since many fly shops are looking to move stock out before next years inventory comes in.

If you end up with a CPX, it is a stiff rocket launcher of a rod and you should consider lining up one or two line weights because the amount of line you would need to carry to load that rod with matched line is rediculous! I have an 8 weight and it throws my 10wt tropic line beautifully.

Good luck!

Mr. Brownliner

Adventures in Brown Lining