Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Fly fishing for spot, Kingfish in MD

Riptide makes a very good point--

Try and pick up an 8 or 9 weight outfit ---- even a super cheap one. You'll have a much better chance of tangling with something, and there should be plenty down there to chase including striped bass, sea trout/weakfish, bluefish, puppy drum, fluke (summer flounder), spanish macs etc as well as any kingfish/spot you might run into.

In addition to handling the fish you hook into, it will be much easier to throw SW flies size 2-2/0, deal with the wind, and most 8 weights and up gear (both rods and reels) are built to withstand SW corrosion.

A good spritz and rinse with fresh water after a day fishing in SW should be standard medicine for any fishing gear, including 8 or heavier weight gear, but be super sure you do this with your 4 weight outfit because it may not have corrosion proof guides and reel seat on the rod or anodization on the reel.

A handful of some simple flies like clousers and deceivers and you're good to go.
    Mark

2. Default Re: Fly fishing for spot, Kingfish in MD

Thanks for all the replies.

I was mistaken, my rod is a five weight.

Not saying any of you are wrong, but it would seem that a 2/0, or even a size 2 hook is WAY big for spot, if I want to have a decent ration of hookups to bites.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong about the hook size thing, but when I catch spot for bait I use size 8 at the biggest.

Any recommendations for a cheap saltwater outfit?

.... just to be clear.... I never said anything about hook size. Only the necessity of using a rod heavy enough to land the largest fish that might take your fly
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

4. Default Re: Fly fishing for spot, Kingfish in MD

Yeah, i misread another comment. sorry!

mustad 3407's in 4,6,8, should be good to tie flies for spot and kings. all the patterns i mentioned before will work. The worse thing is you are useing a fresh water outfit in salt. If you plan on doing this often then a 6wt. saltwater setup for small fish (spot, mullet, kings) and an 8/9 wt for big fish.
    sandfly/ bob
    (www.bigmeadowsflyshop.com)
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing Gillie..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12