Fly fishing for spot, Kingfish in MD

alatos

Reaction score
I was wondering what flies/tecniques, if any, there are for catching northern kingfish and Norfolk spot on flies.

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Alatos- welcome to the board.

I haven't fly fished for them and don't know anyone that has, so this is just a guess at best, so take this with a grain of salt... but you might try some small shrimp imitations and small stuff used for bonefish like mini puffs and gotchas. You might also look into some of the "mole crab" patterns they use in California for surf perch.

Where abouts are you? Folks might have some suggestions for some other stuff that's a bit easier to target and generally more willing to whack flies. .

Good luck!

SkipS

Reaction score
I havent targeted either fish but I have caught a few spot on small Clousers.Usually a #2 or #4 in tan/white,olive/white or black/orange will work.Kings might be a little tougher but should be doable.Peregrines suggestion of bonefish flies and mole crab patterns should work.

alatos

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for the responses! I am in Ocean City MD. I don't know if there is anything else I could catch on a 4 wt in salt water, and a 4 wt is all I have. Maybe croaker.. but I know like NOTHING about fly fishing.

---------- Post added at 03:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 AM ----------

I guess I should add that i will not be surf fishing, but fishing in the bay. There are pretty extensive flats behind Assateague Island that have skates, rays, flounder, spot, kingfish, trout, and baby bluefish.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

On the way down the Eastern Shore on Rt. 13 you will go through Snow Hill MD. there is a good fly shop there I forget the name of it (Goggle can help with that) stop there. I bought flies there based on what the fella advised and used them on the Bay at Craddockville. I used my 7'9" 5wt and caught Spot and Speckled Sea Trout. You gotta fish with the tides there, ask about the tides at the shop. I believe it is fish on the incoming, on the slack, and on the way out but not at low. That is pretty much how it works here and I think that is how I fished there. It has been 16 years so you gotta cut me some slack there.................. Snow Hill Fly Shop.

Ard

SkipS

Reaction score
Hardyreels,im not familiar with any fly shop in Snow Hill.Are you thinking of the Salisbury Fly Shop in Salisbury,MD?If so,sadly Mason went out of business in December.

alatos

Reaction score
I believe there is a tackle shop near snow hill, but i dont know if its a fly shop.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, it was 1992 when I was there so all bets are off on which shop it was. There has to be a shop on the Easern Shore somewhere.

Sorry bout that,

Ard

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Not to discourage you, but you need to be prepared to catch the largest fish in the area and a 4wt won't cut it.
A light trout rod will cast the small flies, but to be fair to the fish you need to use a rod hefty enough to land any fish you catch in a timely manner.
An 8wt will do and there's plenty that size that are reasonably priced. One of mine that I use regularly was $25

An besides, once you catch your first fish that's large enough to eat pasty little trout for breakfast, you'll have salt in your veins and may never fish for them again

(just kidding folks..... well half kidding ;) )

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Riptide makes a very good point--

Try and pick up an 8 or 9 weight outfit ---- even a super cheap one. You'll have a much better chance of tangling with something, and there should be plenty down there to chase including striped bass, sea trout/weakfish, bluefish, puppy drum, fluke (summer flounder), spanish macs etc as well as any kingfish/spot you might run into.

In addition to handling the fish you hook into, it will be much easier to throw SW flies size 2-2/0, deal with the wind, and most 8 weights and up gear (both rods and reels) are built to withstand SW corrosion.

A good spritz and rinse with fresh water after a day fishing in SW should be standard medicine for any fishing gear, including 8 or heavier weight gear, but be super sure you do this with your 4 weight outfit because it may not have corrosion proof guides and reel seat on the rod or anodization on the reel.

A handful of some simple flies like clousers and deceivers and you're good to go.

alatos

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.

I was mistaken, my rod is a five weight.

Not saying any of you are wrong, but it would seem that a 2/0, or even a size 2 hook is WAY big for spot, if I want to have a decent ration of hookups to bites.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong about the hook size thing, but when I catch spot for bait I use size 8 at the biggest.

Any recommendations for a cheap saltwater outfit?

Rip Tide

Reaction score
.... just to be clear.... I never said anything about hook size. Only the necessity of using a rod heavy enough to land the largest fish that might take your fly ;)

sandfly

Reaction score
mustad 3407's in 4,6,8, should be good to tie flies for spot and kings. all the patterns i mentioned before will work. The worse thing is you are useing a fresh water outfit in salt. If you plan on doing this often then a 6wt. saltwater setup for small fish (spot, mullet, kings) and an 8/9 wt for big fish.