Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Newbie here

1. Default Newbie here

Just wanted to introduce myself.
    David I fish mostly from a Canoe or Kayak and have so for the last decade.

I just bought my first fly rod and reel from Orvis, A clearwater 8wt and a #4 Battenkill mid arbor for stripers and blues. I plan on getting a 10wt after catching some fish and seeing how everything goes.

I look forward to sharing pics and ideas, also getting ideas and learning on this site.

Thanks,
    Dave

Blog Entries

Default Re: Newbie here

Hi Dave

Welcome to the Forum. That Clearwater outfit should serve you well getting started. I use Clearwater 6wt for my client rods and they work great for both the beginner and the experienced anglers.
    Look forward to your photo's and reports. If you need any help just ask away in the forums and everyone will help you out.
    Davo
    My worst day on the water beats my best day anywhere else hands down!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures

Hey Dave welcome to the forum.

Where abouts are you? We have a bunch of striper folks and yakkers here.
    Mark

Blog Entries

Dave: Welcome to the forum, looking forward to hearing about your stripper fishing!

Larry

Blog Entries

here Dave.Great and helpful people on this forum.

6. Default Re: Newbie here

Hey thanks for the welcomes I live in Teaneck, NJ I fish Raritan Bay and Bays in NY. Cant wait to catch my first fish on fly!

Dave, the 8 weight is a great choice, you'll have a blast. Adding a 10 weight down the road at some point will give you a little more flexibility with big flies (menhaden/herring imitations), but I'm sure you'll have plenty of action with your 8 weight.

NAFFF member Rip Tide is a yakker and striped bass guy from CT, and I'm sure he could give you a lot of great advice if you have questions.

Do you tie? If not it's only a matter of time....
    Mark

8. Default Re: Newbie here

I actually bought my Rod from a store in Darien, CT. I also plan on getting a 10wt but probably next year. I figured the 9wt would not be much of a jump.

The next time I buy a rod I hope to be able to get the Hydros, They had such a good deal to where they include a large arbor battenkill for free

9. Default Re: Newbie here

Hi Dave, I have been SW fly fishing for 30 yrs. I am convinced it is the most fun you can have standing up. I often fish from a canoe in New England waters, but have advanced past the age of comfortable kayaking. I guess you will be finding out that you can a lot of fun sitting in a yak as well! Just a word of caution. When selecting equipment for SW use, make sure the metal components are anodized for use in SW. I have seen a lot of folks bring trout rods down to the ocean, only to ruin them in short fashion from exposure to SW. Don't know about the Orvis Battenkill, but it sounds like it was designed for use in freshwater.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    Dave: Welcome to the forum, looking forward to hearing about your stripper fishing!

Larry
    Larry,
    I hope that you have been practicing that g-string tuck cast. I understand that the dollar bill fly is very effective.

MP