Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Cape Cod surf

Default Cape Cod surf

Did a little surf fishin' last week

What we wanted to catch...

and what i mostly caught...

Although there were some nice fish around too.

Found some interesting dead things....

.... a Monk fish skin

and I believe this was a young spotted dolphin..

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

Default Re: Cape Cod surf

Rip, Wow that was a great day! I'm going to have come CT so you can show me the ropes of surf fishing. Some of my greatest memories from my childhood and teen years are from when my father owned a commercial fishing boat in Bodega Bay. I fished and crabbed from the jetty from sun up till sun down when I wasn't on the boat with him. As an adult I've only fished the salt a few times though...its been way too long. The only time I ever caught stripers in the salt was a few years ago when a friend of mine backed his big Grady White into the surf... what a hoot that was!
    -Tom Wilson
    Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Blog Entries

Nice stripers! Those have to be fun running along the beach! However, what is the smaller fish that looks like an oversize greenback minnow? I feel like I haven't seen those down in FL, though I have very little experience surf-fishing, and our usual catches in the surf are snook and whiting.

Quote Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
    However, what is the smaller fish that looks like an oversize greenback minnow?
    That's a tinker mackerel. Although for the larger stripers they're "bait sized", I was using a dropper and catching them 2 at a time
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

Ahhh, I just googled the fish and I can see the characteristic mack shape, I'm just not used to that color pattern here on the Gulf side of florida. They definitely look like a viable bait fish. Two at a time has got to be interesting when they choose to swim the same way (which brings to mind thoughts of swallows working in consort to carry coconuts, a la Monty Python...)

Nice pics Rip, the new kayak has been keeping me away from the surf and my flyrods for that matter. Your pictures just gave me the itch...
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

Blog Entries

Paul,

It all looks good to me, even the little fish, but that closing shot is really beautiful. I'm glad to hear you got out and had some fun and happy that we have a place like this so you could share your memories with me here.

Very cool,

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Quote Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
    Nice pics Rip, the new kayak has been keeping me away from the surf and my flyrods for that matter. Your pictures just gave me the itch...
    I'm told that a kayak is perfect for fishing a tube-n-worm, but all I've ever used is my fly rods. You can troll a sinking line, but it's more fun to drift and cast over grass beds, shoals and other structure.
    Mostly we use the 'yaks as transport to places you can't normally walk to. The other day we were out on a barrier island fishing a rip through a cut. Not another person in sight, just us, the seals, and the coyotes

Rip-- sounds like another great trip. Congrats on the fish and dynamite pics!
    Mark

Great pictures, Rip. I especially like your camoflage fishing outfit. No striper would ever suspect you were anything but an innocuous tourist.

Cheers,
    Jim