Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Your best tip for saltwater fly fishing

Get some good, long stainless or aluminum needle nose pliers. Salt water fish bite back!
    I tell you Tuesday how it went... off to the Outer Banks this weekend hopefully for false albies but will gladly accept blues and spanish!

Best tip: Leave the water, quietly, but quickly, when the disturbance you cast to thinking it was a fish turns out to be a 6 foot crocodile.

2nd best tip: Don't eat on the main street, go where the locals go. Much cheaper and usually better food. Main street is for tourists.

3. Default Re: Your best tip for saltwater fly fishing

Buy and read Frank Daignault's book "Fly fishing the Striper Surf". Come back here and you will be an almost expert.

4. Default Re: Your best tip for saltwater fly fishing

Clean and wax your multi-piece rod ends on occasion to keep them coming apart easily; old candles work fine.

5. Default Re: Your best tip for saltwater fly fishing

When saltwater fishing the main thing to consider is the components on your rod and reel. make sure the reel seat is stainless . As far as reels go just make sure you have something with a sealed drag. You can use all of your saltwater gear for freshwater just make sure you rinse your outfit off with freshwater.

..... I use graphite reels seats on my home-rolled SW rods and used a Pflueger Medalist reel in the salt for 18 years before breaking down and getting a anodized disk drag

just sayin'
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

John Leo,
    Is that an Evolution reel you're using? Does the drag hold up well to saltwater
    species?

I agree with your advise.

Quote Originally Posted by johnleo View Post
    When saltwater fishing the main thing to consider is the components on your rod and reel. make sure the reel seat is stainless . As far as reels go just make sure you have something with a sealed drag. You can use all of your saltwater gear for freshwater just make sure you rinse your outfit off with freshwater.
    Stainless, titanium or anodized aluminum will work for salt water reel seats.
    As for sealed drag, they are far and few between. Most good reel manufacturers know sealed drags will leak so they don't bother claiming they are sealed.
    If they were indeed sealed and had a leak in them it would be kinda like the idiot who had a Rolex and didn't screw the crown down when playing in salt water. The dolt left in in a drawer for months while the salt did it's thing. Don't ask how I know.
    With any reel, a good rinse after use in salt will suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
    I just want the best advice from some of the group out there.

I think my tip would be to learn how to Strip Strike effectively. This includes reacting quickly, striking powerfully, and having your hook sharp enough and knots strong enough to hang on to the fish.

The mouths of saltwater fish are generally tougher than their sweetwater kin, and I know this skill will help those with only freshwater experience. Need to practice?, both Bass and Panfish provide ample opportunity to do so.
    If you are new to the salt, Invest in a good guide/teacher! $500 per day is better than years of flailing around clueless. Interview the guide prior to booking... make sure they have the right temprament and your personalities seem to mesh.... check references.

The other is preparation. Long before you hit the water... sharpen all your hooks, dress your lines, double check your knots.......

Mrbrownliner

Adventures in Brown Lining

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast