Christmas Island Bone Fish

twizzler

Reaction score
Good Morning ,I'm A New Subscriber To This Forum, I Have Been To Christmas IslandAnd Found It Not Up To The Standards Of Say Andros Island . They Do Have Plenty Of Bonefish But They Are Very Small , Once In AwhileYou Will See One Over Two Pounds. The First Day We Were There They Took Us To An Area Where There Were More Bonefish Than You Can Imagine And Later I Was Told They Trap Them In This Area And They Are Unable To Leave. It Was Quite The Adventure , I Did Get To Also Fish For Travalle And Had Only One Hit. Its Not Unusual To Get Thiry Or More Bonefish A Day But Again They Are Very Small.The Fly That Was Most Productive Was The Chil Pepper , Wait Until You Get There And Ask One Of The Guides To Tye You Some Otherwise You Won't Believe The Variations Of The Interpertations Of The Chili Pepper .i Had Some Tied At Stone River Outfitters And They Did'nt Work , I Had Some Tied By My Guide And The Fish Would'nt Stay Off From Them, I Went From Catching Nothing To Killing Them. I Do Still Have A Few From There If Anyone Is Going And Would Like To See What Really Works. I Also Want To Add That If You Don't Install Weed Guards You Will Drive Yourself Nuts Due To The Coral , Believe Me With No Guards Its Almost Impossible To Fish Unless Your On A Flat Even Then Its Iffy. The People And The Guides Are Absolutly Wonderful . Well Thats My Take On Christmas Is.

Stan Wright

Reaction score
Could you post a few pictures of that Chillie Pepper fly. My son is going down again in June and I'd like to tie some up for him. Last Nov. when I was there we used the Crazy Charlie in gold, tan, pink, motor oil color. They are tied very, very sparce. Your right, the guides know what the fish like. They also like a very heavy fly.... something that will hit the bottom quick and make a puff of sand when it hits. I was surprised about the weed guards..... I guess we were fishing on other places and didn't get hung up much. I was also using a 5 and 6wt rod.... just right for those hundreds of 1 to 3 pound size bones.Aloha,Stan

nhspine

Reaction score
do you still have any of those Christmas Island Specials? I would love to see one.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
do you still have any of those Christmas Island Specials? I would love to see one.
A Christmas Island Special is a Crazy Charlie with a few strands of Krystal Flash in the tail.

For a picture of some Crazy Charlie flies, look at the "Took a Trip" thread in the saltwater section.

Dennis

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Here's a video on the Christmas Island Special.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeCI22oUZpQ]Christmas Island Special Bonefish Fly Tying Instructions - YouTube[/ame]

If you are planning on a trip to Christmas Island, tie a majority of your flies in hot orange. Use hot orange thread and UV orange Krystal Flash. The guides over at The Villages seemed to like that combination best.

Hook sizes and eyes - I use size 4 and 6 Mustad 3407 DT hooks. For size 4 hooks, I tie them with some sort of weighted eyes. For size 6 hooks, I tie them with either weighted eyes or bead chain eyes. The bead chain eyed flies come in handy when skinny water is fished.

Here is the Umpqua Feather Merchants stock photo.

I hope that this helps. This is an old thread, so I was not sure if the original posters would respond.

Dennis

Stan Wright

Reaction score
Looks good to me… Amazing that the sparse tied flys seem to work best there.
Here on Oahu it's big and bushy. LOL