New to salt

ccnp11

Reaction score
Hello all,

While I haven't regularly fished in years, I am no stranger to the fly rod. I fished in the northeast US on many of the famed streams and rivers there for trout and salmon for many years, became a very accomplished fly tyer and angler, and was even published in flyfisherman magazine a couple times back in the mid 90s on both tying and fishing. I'm not bragging, just giving you a little background that I'm not a n00b when it comes to casting a fly. :)

However I *am* a n00b when it comes to salt water angling. I was on vacation this past January in the Florida Keys and visiting family near Sarasota and took a couple charters out. Even though it was, according to the guides, the most "off" the season gets my desire to do a lot more salt water fishing was ignited. I spent a couple days banging the hell out of mackerel on one trip and sea trout on the other. My fiance even hooked a 9' nurse shark on her spinning rod....I couldn't convince her to learn to fly cast.

I've been working in Afghanistan the last couple years (civilian, not military) and will be coming back to the US based out of Sarasota. I'm probably going to buy a boat soon after arriving and I most definitely want to catch some fish. I'm wondering what the group's thoughts are on decent all around rod and reel combos? It's coming into winter so I assume (again, I know next to nothing about species and seasons in the gulf) the fishing is or will be winding down soon.

I do tend to prefer lighter tackle. As an example my favourite trout rod was a custom 3-weight bamboo beauty. Wrangling in a 3lb brown trout on the Delaware river with 8x tippet during the trico hatch on that rod was about the most fun I've ever had on the water. Anyway....

I was considering going with a 5-6 weight rod as a starter and wait until the spring to go heavier...I'm definitely going to go hunting tarpon as soon as they are running but I'll get that equipment later. For now, I'd like a versatile combo that I can take out prospecting and not be too terribly under-gunned while still having enough beef in the rod to handle what I find and get the line where it needs to go. But if I'm completely nuts for thinking 5-6 will be enough please say so.

I appreciate any and all feedback and am looking forward to getting on the water next month. Anyone familiar with the Sarasota/Tampa area is also very welcome to chime in with hot spots and GPS coordinates. ;)

wjc

Reaction score
Welcome,

I've never fished that area before, but would rule out a 5 weight anyhow simply because you would be ruling out too many flies from your arsenal due to wind resistance and too many days from your calendar due to the wind. On calm days you could use a 6 wt for smaller redfish and so on if caught on the flats or open water.

I don't know the size of snook in that area, but unless they are wide open beach fish, you would not be able to keep them away from pilings or mangroves with a 6 wt, and most flies used for them start at about 3" long.

The smallest rod I use in the Keys and for bass fishing is a 7 wt., but most of the fish I target run from 10 lbs to 50 or 60 lbs, with the exception of bass and tarpon on opposite ends of the scale. Although I "target" largemouth bass over 10 lbs., I haven't yet been successful. :D :D

I would check with your local fly shop and/or fly fishing club when you get there before making a decision.

Cheers,
Jim

O

okuma

When I lived in Dania, Florida... I met an older gent thru the local bass pro. We fished snook and some cuda in the surf. Floating line won't work. Use intermediate or sinking. 7 weight is the smallest I ever used. Streamers were from 3 inches and up to about 5

Rip Tide

Reaction score
When I lived in Dania, Florida... I met an older gent thru the local bass pro. We fished snook and some cuda in the surf. Floating line won't work. Use intermediate or sinking. 7 weight is the smallest I ever used. Streamers were from 3 inches and up to about 5
Did you try the floating line, or just take one man's opinion as gospel ?
I fish a floater in the surf much of the time, and contrary to popular opinion, you have more control over the line rather than less. The ability to mend and the use of traditional fly rodding methods makes the difference
This is just one person's personal experience of course ;)

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Did you try the floating line, or just take one man's opinion as gospel ?
I fish a floater in the surf much of the time, and contrary to popular opinion, you have more control over the line rather than less. The ability to mend and the use of traditional fly rodding methods makes the difference
This is just one person's personal experience of course ;)
I'll have to agree with Rip on this one. I use sinking lines in deeper waters but usually use a floater when I wade from shore. Much better line control, If I can't get the fish to rise, a heavy fly like a Clouser and a 10-12ft leader will get me deep enough while still being able to mend line.

FYI, three years ago I never fished a floating line in the salt. Rip made a comment on one of my early posts about being able to mend over the surf with a floater and I've been using them ever since. Good luck and I wouldn't go below a 7WT for the salt due to the the size if the flies you will be throwing and the wind you will encounter.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
One thing that people need to realize about fishing in the salt is that while you may be happy catching smaller fish on the lightest tackle, you need to be prepared to land the largest fish that's likely to be where you're fishing

ccnp11

Reaction score
Ah yes, the wind. That's something I wasn't considering. Definitely need to consider that. So I guess a 7 it is. What are the better salt water rod brands? Sage? Loomis?

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I was considering going with a 5-6 weight rod as a starter and wait until the spring to go heavier...I'm definitely going to go hunting tarpon as soon as they are running but I'll get that equipment later. For now, I'd like a versatile combo that I can take out prospecting and not be to terribly under-gunned while still having enough beef in the rod to handle what I find and get the line where it needs to go.
I am erring towards a seven or an eight weight as a lighter rig. Besides the possibility of hooking into a homie, you need the rod to have the ability to throw some rather large flies into the wind.

But if I'm completely nuts for thinking 5-6 will be enough please say so.
You are freakin' nuts.

I would check with your local fly shop and/or fly fishing club when you get there before making a decision.
Darn good advice. It is hard to beat the local knowledge.

What are the better saltwater rod brands? Sage? Loomis?
Sage and Loomis make quality rods. I would also add Scott, Hardy, and Winston to the mix. Cast them all, and choose which one works best for you.

Don't forget about quality reels. For saltwater fishing, Tibor, Abel, and Mako rule the scene for a reason. They don't fail.

As your quiver grows, you may want to consider backup gear. Saltwater fish are terribly hard on gear (especially the rods). Also you may want to switch presentations. It is quicker to grab another rig that may have a different line and fly combination than it is to change spools and/or tie new flies on.

Dennis

seajay

Reaction score
Well for the smaller Reds and any Trout and Flounder a 6wt will work just fine in the flats and grass.. But as stated a 7 or 8wt. will cover more ground. For Tarpon I would prefer nothing lighter than a 10+wt. As far as reels most prefer the Nautilus or Tibor's. but I use one of Justin's 9/10 reels and it works marvelous on the larger Reds. Allen Fly Fishing
For Rods TFO, Sage, Loomis That is a personal decision.To many choices.

wjc

Reaction score
It is quicker to grab another rig that may have a different line and fly combination than it is to change spools and/or tie new flies on.
Excellent point Dennis, and I should add an excellent post in all respects.. In fact, I ordered 8 powerful rare-earth magnets that should have been here today to aid in just that. I've cut out the rod compartment in my little Mako, elongated it and made room in it for 4 rigged fly rods. But it takes too long to get them out and to do so means taking my eyes off the fish.

I am hoping to have the magnets expxied into my gunwhale caps very soon as I want to prime and sand this weekend. I will use them as quick access rod holders on the gunwhales when fishing for pelagics. You never know what is going to show up or how big it will be.

I'm going to test out tubular webbing with cast iron slugs sewn inside to attach the rods to the gunwhales. That will give me 4 rigged rods, ready to grab quickly, but without any projections above the gunwhale. I'm really anxious to try it out.

Update: It just occurred to me to check my mailbox in case they sent the magnets via snail mail and they did. Man are these things strong! I almost cut myself when I grabbed a knife to slit the packing tape on the package.They're definitely going to be plenty strong enough.

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited:

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Does your Mako have a T-top? I have 2 light weight 10' PVC tubes strapped to either side of mine. A notch cut out in the back for the reels to slide into and shock cord loops to hold the rods in place. My fly rods go into them fully rigged, out of harms way and easy to get to.

seajay

Reaction score
Does your Mako have a T-top? I have 2 light weight 10' PVC tubes strapped to either side of mine. A notch cut out in the back for the reels to slide into and shock cord loops to hold the rods in place. My fly rods go into them fully rigged, out of harms way and easy to get to.
Now thats a cool idea.

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
ccnp-- personally i would lean more towards an 8 weight than a 7 weight-- there's not a whole bunch of practical difference in the what each rod will do, but 7 weights tend to be much less common than 8 weights and as a result you might find it harder to find 7 weight lines in stock etc.

If you got an 8 and at some point decided to add another rod in a 10 weight, you'd pretty much be set for most stuff you're likely to run into in SW.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Jim, I'd love to see the work on the Mako when it's finished. And back to the original poster, I don't know if I missed this, but do you ever intend to target tarpon? The tarpon run off the coast of Sarasota is a pretty big deal. Also, if you're interested in doing any charters, I know that Rick Grassett is a common name when it comes to fly fishing charters in Sarasota. Furthermore, if you get the chance head down to CB Saltwater Outfitters near the south bridge to Siesta and ask them any questions you have. They're under great ownership and they have a lot of info on fishing the area, and are also a great fly outfitter.

wjc

Reaction score
Swirl,

That's a good idea, but I don't have a T-top. I'm trying to get rid of everything possible on it that can get in the way of throwing flies, and maximize what little storage room there is on it. It will be as plain Jane as possible. One thing I will definitely need at some point is some pop up holders for a pole. Though I really wont be doing much poling, they are pretty essential in the back country when you wind up too shallow. :D

Gator, I'll take some pics when I finally get it "done" - if ever. I haven't been fishing at all in months due to work and so many projects. Got invited on a trip to "the Corner" on the west side of the Grand Bahamas bank, on the 12th of Sept., leaving out of Stuart, FL, so I'm looking forward to that. I'll just be bringing an 8 and an 12 wt. My buddy says there is a pretty good chance of teasing up a marlin there. At any event, it will be nice to get out of here and away from the shop for a change.

I'm with you, Gator, on the tarpon. All it takes is that first one, and you can hardly wait to get out again. Everything else is put on hold.

Cheers,
Jim

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Jim, if you have a Marlin on that 12er, I HAVE to see a photo! Or at least hear the story :p The only time I've seen a marlin or similar pelagic in person was while scuba diving a wreck in Key Largo, I saw it cruising away as I descended toward the top deck.

wjc

Reaction score
Gator,

It would have to be a very small one to do anything but watch it go with a 12 wt, but I'm bringing it anyhow. On second thought, I think I'd better get a 15 wt head and break out the big rod. :eek:

It's the one just above the little 12 wt. with the quarter just below the foregrip. The guy who invited me is the guy who gave it to me, so I guess I really have no choice. :eek::eek:

Trouble is, I've never even tried casting it.:(:(:(:( My shop push broom has a faster action. To top it off, my shoulder hasn't healed all the way yet. Well, two-handed shouldn't put too much strain on it.

That's a nice setup you got there, Swirl, and what a great day.

Ard, don't cringe. It may not be real fly fishing, but it could be a lot of fun if one shows up and the force is with us.:D

Cheers,
Jim