Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Long Leader on Int Sink Line in surf

Default Long Leader on Int Sink Line in surf

So I am still learning and I came to the conclusion today that trying a long , self made graduated leader ( like 50-40-30-20 tippet) does not work well in the surf ( a beach out front ) with a lot of wind.

I now realize why so many told me just to use 3-6 feet of 50 lb test.

For what it's worth I was targeting stripers/blues/albies in Long Island on a south shore beach.

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Default Re: Long Leader on Int Sink Line in surf

Just out of curiosity, how windy and from what direction in relation to you was it? What was the leader doing you didn't like?

With a full sink line I'll go with a 3 ft leader, but with a intermediate line you need at least 6' otherwise you're not getting down far enough.
    Depending on the fly I'll use either 6' of straight mono or most often a 3 segment tied leader of about 8 feet with 4' of butt, 2' mid, 2' tippet. In the wind you can also extend the butt section to make the leader 5' butt, 1' mid and 2' tippet. The extra butt helping to turn the leader over and punch out the fly.
    Myself, I'm more likely to fish a full sink when the wind is up. The thinner diameter of the full sink line cuts through wind much better than any intermediate or floater
    Last edited by Rip Tide; 09-21-2011 at 09:15 AM.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how windy and from what direction in relation to you was it? What was the leader doing you didn't like?
    It was a regular fall type wind y day on the beach . Nothing crazy like hurricane gusts but a steady wind day. The water was sweeping from left to right. And the wind was blowing from about 2 o'clock position, if you will.

My leader was probably somewhere between 9 and 12 feet, and the wind made it necessary to cast close to into it , which was not good with that sweep, and the full sink and rolling surf was causing a lot of my line, and also my leader to bunch up before the sweep was able to straighten out, that of course made it very difficult to pick up line and aerilize the line, if that makes any sense.

Like I said I am new to this and fishing the open beach surf is challenging. I was sure I would have been having an easier time with a front heavy floating line, or a much shorter straight leader.

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    With a full sink line I'll go with a 3 ft leader, but with a intermediate line you need at least 6' otherwise you're not getting down far enough.
    Depending on the fly I'll use either 6' of straight mono or most often a 3 segment tied leader of about 8 feet with 4' of butt, 2' mid, 2' tippet. In the wind you can also extend the butt section to make the leader 5' butt, 1' mid and 2' tippet. The extra butt helping to turn the leader over and punch out the fly.
    Myself, I'm more likely to fish a full sink when the wind is up. The thinner diameter of the full sink line cuts through wind much better than any intermediate or floater

RipTide, thanks for that. ARe you fishing for stripers/blues? with an 8 9 or 10 wt?

what lb test do you use to make up the sections of your leader?

Quote Originally Posted by floorabove View Post

RipTide, thanks for that. ARe you fishing for stripers/blues? with an 8 9 or 10 wt?
    what lb test do you use to make up the sections of your leader?
    Yeah, I fish for stripers and blues.
    My everyday outfit would be an 9', 8wt rod with either a 9 or 10wt line, but in the heavy surf the rod that I most often use is a 10 footer. The extra length useful for keeping the line up out of the breakers and mending out past the white water.
    In wind 20 knots and over I'll break out the 10wt rod and fish that with either a 10wt full sink or a 12wt floating line.

I tie my 8' leaders with a 40# butt, a 25# mid and a 15# tippet for the most part but that's not firm. Flats fishing I might go as long as 12' with a 8# tippet.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Another reason not to use a long leader in the surf is that it makes it more difficult to land the fish.
    You have enough to worry about besides thinking about keeping the line/leader knot from getting hung up in the rod's tip-top.
    I personally would never use a leader longer than 8 1/2 feet in the surf. There's no reason to do it and many reasons why you shouldn't.
    Last edited by Rip Tide; 09-21-2011 at 12:07 PM.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    Yeah, I fish for stripers and blues.
    My everyday outfit would be an 9', 8wt rod with either a 9 or 10wt line, but in the heavy surf the rod that I most often use is a 10 footer. The extra length useful for keeping the line up out of the breakers and mending out past the white water.
    In wind 20 knots and over I'll break out the 10wt rod and fish that with either a 10wt full sink or a 12wt floating line.

I tie my 8' leaders with a 40# butt, a 25# mid and a 15# tippet for the most part but that's not firm. Flats fishing I might go as long as 12' with a 8# tippet.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Another reason not to use a long leader in the surf is that it makes it more difficult to land the fish.
    You have enough to worry about besides thinking about keeping the line/leader knot from getting hung up in the rod's tip-top.
    I personally would never use a leader longer than 8 1/2 feet in the surf. There's no reason to do it and many reasons why you shouldn't.
    Yes I agree, I never use a leader over 8.5 in the surf, my question is what advantage you see in using a 40# butt section in your tapered leader.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by oarfish View Post
    Yes I agree, I never use a leader over 8.5 in the surf, my question is what advantage you see in using a 40# butt section in your tapered leader.

Rick
    When you tie a leader, you're looking for the flex of the mono butt to be the same as the flex of line. This makes for a good transfer of power from the line to leader and prevents hinging. 40# just works best for me.
    I've be using Climax leader material (Ande for the tippet) for the past 15 or so years and Trilene Big Game before that.

Use a shorter leader and not even necessarily a tapered one. Try about four feet of no more than 35 lb test tied to a 6" to 1' butt section of heavier (match your fly line) and then add some tippet testing no more than 22 lbs or so to protect your fly line and backing. (approx 7 ft total)
    http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=24405&dateline=129884  8088
    Great Fishing
    Der Alt Jaeger
    Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
    Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/