redfish / baby tarpon setup

BigCliff

Reaction score
Sounds like a good rig.

Just keep the reel out of the sand. I think that one's got a roller bearing on the spindle and sand can wreak havoc on those.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
My main concern about the outfit would be the reel for the reasons that Cliff noted. Keep it as clean as you can.

Another reel option is a Lamson Konic. The drag system is sealed, so there is less chance for failure. Some of my friends fish the California coast with Konics. They have had zero issues due to salt or sand.

If you choose the Sharkskin Saltwater line, you may want to err towards a 10 weight line. The TiCrX rod is so fast that you may want to slow it down, so you can load the rod for the short game. Most fish that you will target will be within 30 feet.

My personal choice for a line is the Scientific Anglers Mastery Redfish Taper. It has a short head to help load the rod quickly. Since I use a very fast rod, I still overline (9 wt line on an 8 wt rod).

Dennis

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I have not targeted redfish, but I have target baby tarpon. You really don't need much backing since the fish are not reel screamers. For the reels that are available, look to have about 150 to 200 yards of 20 to 30 pounds of backing. Keep in mind that you will have more capacity if you go with 20 pound backing and less capacity if you go with 30 pound backing.

Dennis

mrfzx

Reaction score
A big Red, say 20 plus pounds, can take you deep into your backing. 200 yds of 30 pound should be plenty, and I prefer gel spun. I used an 8 wt TiCrX for a recent trip to Cocodrie Louisiana, and it was plenty for the Reds we were catching then ( up to 10 pounds). I was using an 8 weight Tioga reel, which has a very good sealed drag. I overlined the 8 with a SA 9 weight Saltwater line, and it loaded very well. I highly reccommend over lining the TiCrX....even two line weights is not overkill! If you will be fishing from a boat, a sealed drag is not a big concern, but like they said, from shore sand and dirt can be damaging. Your 9 weight should handle the fish with ease.

Your choice of the Sharkskin is a concern. It casts like a laser beam, but beware. When you set that hook, and you have the extra line on the deck, unless you have a glove on, the line will rip you up as it slides through your fingers. Also, with the Sharkskin, I highly reccommend a stripping finger sleeve to keep it from cutting into your fingers on your rod hand. I know from experience that once your fingers are cut, it makes the rest of the trip painful.

BigCliff

Reaction score
If you choose the Sharkskin Saltwater line, you may want to err towards a 10 weight line. The TiCrX rod is so fast that you may want to slow it down, so you can load the rod for the short game. Most fish that you will target will be within 30 feet.
I agree that overlining that rod at least a bit is wise. I'd probably go with the Mastery Textured Magnum actually, in 9wt. The Magnum taper loads a rod very quickly and is a half weight heavy. Mastery Textured offers most of the shooting benefits of SS without the abrasion, and also costs about $80 less.

If you're thinking the Magnum might kick over with a bit too much power, just fish a longer leader. You can always soften turnover from the line's head by fishing a longer leader, but you can never strengthen turnover. (unless you chop some of the front taper off)

grassonfly

Reaction score
is there any advantage of the sharksi=kin vs mastery textured? and why do rod makers make fast action rods if you have to slow them down?

swirlchaser

Reaction score
My TiCRx 9wt is my go to saltwater rod. Overlining is a good idea. The rod casts well with a 9wt line but a 10 will help. The rod has a fast tip, it generates awesome power but the downside is that the sweet spot is small. When fishing the salt there are so many other outside distractions while casting that it's easy to miss the rod loading. Wind, current, surf, big heavy flies all seem to get in your way. If you hit the sweet spot you will cast a 9wt line just as far as a 10wt, when you miss it it's not very forgiving.
So to answer your question, they didn't build a rod that needs to be overlined. They built a rod that loads fast and hard and shoots plenty of line with very little false casting but they had to make it less forgiving to do it.

chuck s

Reaction score
They build them fast and faster as it's all part of the bigger is better sydrome that raises such havoc with us Americans!:rolleyes: Other than that, they know that many if not most are overlining. I will admit that there are a few that are accomplished enough to really want and get the most out of a super fast rod with balanced fly line etc while most are not really in that elite category. For both Reds and Baby Tarpon I used a 7 weight set up with a Sage SP and a Bauer M3 reel. Later I added a 9 weight. for when the big fish are running, in a custom rod with an Old Florida reel and yes Virginia I am in love with drawbar/cork drags/reels and figure that when Tibor finally quits making them I might switch but that's doubtful!