New to Saltwater Fly Fishing (need help)

BayouBuck

Reaction score
I have used a 5wt 7'6" Orvis for fishing the bayous of Mississippi for bream and bass. I wanted to try my hand at bigger fish so I bought an 8wt el-cheapO white river combo from bass pro. The 8wt was hard to cast from my Kayak and the line on the thing was horrible. So i need help finding a setup the would be easly casted from a kayak but still has the backbone to fight the Reds and specks I want to catch. I have not found one fly shop around close so I am searching the net for some help. Any ideas

bonefish41

Reaction score
I have used a 5wt 7'6" Orvis for fishing the bayous of Mississippi for bream and bass. I wanted to try my hand at bigger fish so I bought an 8wt el-cheapO white river combo from bass pro. The 8wt was hard to cast from my Kayak and the line on the thing was horrible. So i need help finding a setup the would be easly casted from a kayak but still has the backbone to fight the Reds and specks I want to catch. I have not found one fly shop around close so I am searching the net for some help. Any ideas
Change lines first...my preference for hot water fresh or salt rio bonefish or permit or cortland 444 tropic plus...you are in a kayak so unless your are a lefty kreh or joan wulf..your not going to get 80 foot distance...change line first see how you cast ask about your cast ...try mobile or n orleans or if northern miss delta bayu try memphis fly shops

therrington

Reaction score
Buck,
The fly shop in Ocean Springs can help you in selecting the proper rod.
The rod you need would depend on where you fish. In unobstructed areas you can get by with an exceptionally light rod. For example, one of the local rod reps here in Ocean Springs routinely catches 20 - 30+ lb Reds using 3 - 5 wts fishing the Biloxi Marsh. That said, I would suspect that a 7, 8, or 9 wt would work for you assuming that wind doesn't hamper your style too much. From a kayak I think that I would opt for the 7 wt. but try casting them all before deciding.

BayouBuck

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys, I did not know thier was a shop in Ocean Springs. I am from Outside of Bay St. Louis but now live in central mississippi after the hurricane. Does anyone have a name for the fly shop in Ocean Springs or New Orleans. As for where I fish I spend alot of time in the State lakes around meridian mississippi but I try to get home once ar twice a month to fish saltwater.

Colorado Cajun

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys, I did not know thier was a shop in Ocean Springs. I am from Outside of Bay St. Louis but now live in central mississippi after the hurricane. Does anyone have a name for the fly shop in Ocean Springs or New Orleans. As for where I fish I spend alot of time in the State lakes around meridian mississippi but I try to get home once ar twice a month to fish saltwater.
I think the shop in New Orleans is Orvis. I'm going home on the 27th (Lafourche Parish) and hope to catch some Reds and Specks.
:frogdance

therrington

Reaction score

Colorado Cajun

Reaction score
The fly shop in Ocean Springs is Chandeleur Outfitters on Government Street.
The telephone number is (228)818-0030 and the owner is Rob Recio.
Website is Mississippi Fishing – Gulf Coast Fishing – Chandeleur Outfitters

While you are on line check out the Historic Ocean Springs Saltwater FlyFishing Club, Home - HOSSFLY - The Historic Ocean Springs Saltwater Flyfishing Club.
That would be yours truly holding the Cobia at the top of the page.

Tom Herrington
Nice Cobia! I've caught 1 before and it is still my biggest fish I've caught yet.

therrington

Reaction score
The fly on which I caught that specific Cobia was a double lepus, solid ginger with an orange hackle collar. Attached, I hope, is a double lepus in orange and yellow which most times is an even more effective color combo.
Cobia are as thick as thieves around the shallow rigs (40-75') here in the warm months. I have caught many through the years with legal size fish ranging from about 20 to 55 lbs and most on the sunrise double lepus pattern.
The problem in fishing the rigs, of course, is that it is similar to bass fishing in the stumps, one has to use a stout rod and line to power the fish from around or near the rig. So I opt for a 14 wt when usually a 12 wt would work well. Cobia are tough and fight deep many times and a rod with plenty of lifting power is needed when fishing that deeper water.

Attachments

tbrillinger223

Reaction score
Therrington thank you for the pattern info.

next time we head out to flamingo/chocoloskee I am going to have to tye up a few. hopefully we can get the cobia in the boat before the bull sharks grab them.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi tbrillinger223,

I think it is getting close that some action may be needed about the sharks in Florida waters. There has been a big push to preserve the sharks but we may have went too far in our conservation efforts. Sharks are neat fish but they may be getting out of hand. They are smart and have learned that fishermen mean a free lunch. I think Florida has a shark problem what do you think?

tbrillinger223

Reaction score
Frank,

we lost aprox. 19 fish between 3 anglers to sharks last sunday.(not counting the sharks we hooked intentionaly) we werent the only boat on the wreck either. if we hooked up on something they were on us, the others hooked up it was the same. There is a definite problem with the sharks here in south florida, I know many guides and friends that fish inshore and offshore, they all say the same thing... there is a growing problem with the sharks in both the Atlantic and Gulf waters.

How would you feel if you booked a trip to E.N.P. (Flamingo) or Chocoloskee, The Keys or Biscayne Bay spent $450.00 a day to go fishing and you hook the largest fish you have ever hooked in you life and fought it for a few minutes only to loose that fish to a large shark or several small ones?

The F.W.C. needs to do the samething that they did with the alligator population, once the animal has reached stable numbers assign a lottery type system to allow an angler to harvest a shark between lets say 6'-10'. the angler must purchase a liscense that allows them to harvest 2 sharks between those sizes, during the months of June-October (hurricane season). This is a growing problem during the summer only!!