Headed to FL, need some info

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am headed to FL in a few days and would love any info on a place to wet a line. I am willing to hit anywhere inside of a three hour drive from Ft Lauderdale.

I have a good guide in the area but he is 600$ per day and funds are tight with the slow construction economy. I will have all my own gear and willing to do what it takes.

I am gracious and quiet about a good spot if you are so inclined. Also if you have a great guide in the area I would take info on that as well.

Thanks.

O

okuma

Near Fort lauderdale airport is the Bass Pro Shop(head west). Stop in the fly shop and see what is running the beach(Dania Beach) near there. If you're going to fish the beach, watch the signs near the pier @ Dania Beach. The owner can be not so friendly to beach fishermen. To the left of the pier is private land that has good fishing as well. Be weary of rays and such close to shore, if you decide to wade. Conventional fishing off the pier is cheap and it can be very productive. If you're looking for fresh water, head directly away from the airport/beach for as long as you can drive(west again). In about 20-30 minutes, you will cross I26. Continue straight into Everglades Holiday Park. Excellent peacock/largemouth fishing in the canals. Or...think about renting an air boat(guided) and head into aliigator alley. If you're going to fish around the canals, please be aware of where you walk. Iguana's, gators, cotton mouths, and some pythons love hiding in the grass. Wow...all this made me really miss living down there. The park was so exotic with peacock birds,& parrots. I loved it!

mrfzx

Reaction score
Okuma's tip on rays is a really good one. If you wade, a pair of "ray guards" that fit your lower legs is a wise investment. You may never need them, but the one time you do is soooooooo worth it!

grassonfly

Reaction score
drive down to key largo go to john pennekamp state park rent a kayak and paddle into the largo sound loads of speckled seatrout and other flats fish

wjc

Reaction score
There are two guides in Miami that I would highly recommend. Cordell Baum in Coral Gables is a kayak/canoe guide who is very, very reasonable. He goes by Bonefish Whisperer and is a former Alaskan transplant to Miami.

He has basically quit guiding in Biscayne Bay for bones since the freeze and now is guiding inland for baby tarpon, jacks, peacocks and largemouth. He has the peacocks and lake tarpon dialed in - depending on weather. He will give you a long day at a very, very reasonable cost. He pretty much insists on starting before dawn. He poles a wide, stable stand-up canoe, and, as a former competitive weight lifter, can do so for many miles without a break.

He cannot tie his bonefish and permit flies fast enough to keep up with the demand. I have fished with him for permit prior to the freeze, and he had both the bones and permit in West Biscayne bay down pat as to their feeding habits. I would highly recommend contacting him, and will send him an email if you are truly interested.

Bob LeMay is another excellent guide who sight fishes baby tarpon at night under Miami bridge lights - starting times depending on the tides. If he says chances are good for tarpon, then they are very good. He also fishes out of Flamingo every week and knows both Whitewater Bay and the stretch between Flamingo and the Shark River probably better than any other guide around. He trailers his skiff to Flamingo. He also ties flies commercially. His expenses are higher than Cordell's so his rates will reflect that. For a back-country glades trip for snook, reds and tarpon, he would be my first recommendation.

Although I have not fished with Bob yet, we chat on an internet forum, and like Cordell, he knows what he's doing. I read an article he wrote for one of the magazines, and it was probably the best back-country tarpon fishing article I've ever read. It was clearly obvious that he is a very observant guy.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of them. This is one of the months noted for high winds, and both can get you out of it and into fish. And both are long time fly fishermen themselves.

PM me for their email addresses if you are interested.

Cheers,
Jim