Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norcal surf is DANGEROUS

Blog Entries

Default Norcal surf is DANGEROUS

KSBW News is reporting a fisherman was swept off Rio Del Mar beach (Santa Cruz, Ca) this morning. Apparently he got knocked down by a wave and his waders filled up. Pulled out to sea by a rip, he was recovered about 150 yds off shore. According to the on site reporter EMTs are working on him now, trying to save him.

I'll post a link once they get it on their web site.

No word on whether he was wearing a pfd, but I'd bet not.

-Mike

Blog Entries

Default Re: Norcal surf is DANGEROUS

No details so far, but he did not make it.

Man Fishing on Aptos Beach Dies - Central Coast News KION/KCBA

RIP The surf is not to be underestimated...
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Be it the Beach on the Salt or on a river .... water just doesn't care. Want a bad day, just test it.

The 'line' between 'up-right' and OH SHIP is very thin.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

The ocean can be a dangerous place as can rivers . To many times people go down needlessly for not seeing the signs. But one thing that is not true is waders do not drown people. When waders fill up the water is displaced and there is no drag down effect. People drown because they panic . The feeling of being taken by the undertow overwhelms them and they try to fight it. The energy expended weakens them and takes it's toll.
    The way to deal with the tow is to let it take you until it let's up. Not the easiest thing to do goes against all survival instincts but it works.
    There is a power plant in Northport Long Island with a hotwater release . Great place to catch stripers all winter long . Every so often an alarm will sound signaling a stop of warm discharge. When this would happen you might be standing in 2 ft of water on minute and 4 ft the next. People would drown during this transition not because of their waders but from fear and panic.
    Long before neoprenes and lightweights Lee Wulff in a pair of the old heavy rubber waders jumped off a bridge into a river in Upstate N.Y. and calmly swam to shore. He did it in front of a group of reporters to show that waders don't drown people panic does.
    I think anybody who fishes the ocean or the big rivers should be a good swimmer and know how to and what to do in an emergency situation. And most of all use commen sense in knowing when conditions are to rough for wading.Example fishing on a jetty with 6to8ft swells slamming over the top is not smart.
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

Where waders can get one into trouble is that neoprene and rubber stretch and swell when filled. Water has weight, you, the surf and rivers are moving and the combination of all this and your own plus that contained water's momentum (linear and rolling or circular) can be very unnerving, cumbersome and depending on the persons size and strength almost impossible to manage. Get caught in the right rip and even with just a swim suit on you'll have your work cut out for you. The proper thing to do is swim to the side as said but water speeding out a rip at varying velocities with varying degrees of bouyancy (air bubbles versus not) and waves coming in creates a situation that many have real problems handling. With any waders be sure, doubly sure, to wear a tight belt sealing the tops closed and that's just for starts. Use a staff and steer clear of rips, longshore currents, rough bottoms, drop offs, low head dam areas and almost any unfamiliar situation you haven't handled in practice with rescue folks standing by.

Sad to hear of the anglers misfortune!
    http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=24405&dateline=129884  8088
    Great Fishing
    Der Alt Jaeger
    Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
    Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by chuck s View Post
    Where waders can get one into trouble is that neoprene and rubber stretch and swell when filled.
    I've gone for a "swim" in my neoprenes and my lower body never even got wet. And I was in the water for a good bit of time too.
    Neoprenes are tight fitting in the first place and water pressure keeps them that way.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

The surf here is treacherous. There are the infamous rogue waves that come out of nowhere and are outsized enough to wash tourists off rocks that are well above the normal surf line...and knock a fisherman off his feet even if he sees it coming.

Then there are the rips...they can be very large and powerful. The water carries amazing power and I have witnessed fishermen going down in water less than knee deep from the power...their feet simply pulled from under them. The guy I saw go down BARELY regained his feet and did lose his rod.

To me, a staff is less helpful than in a river.

A pfd would sure make sense, but almost no one wears one.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    I've gone for a "swim" in my neoprenes and my lower body never even got wet. And I was in the water for a good bit of time too.
    Neoprenes are tight fitting in the first place and water pressure keeps them that way.
    Some are and some aren't but isn't that obvious to most??? Even tighter neoprene waders will fill should you try and swim into the current or get pushed into that orientation.

Some folks wear tight jeans but others opt for jeans that fit?? I suppose it's all personal choice!
    My reply was based on years of teaching river and ocean diving and rescue as well as being safety divers for kayak and canoe races as well as being on several drowning recovery teams.
    http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=24405&dateline=129884  8088
    Great Fishing
    Der Alt Jaeger
    Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
    Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

Chuck is correct! My 5 mm neoprenes from my Alaska days are loose fitting, but great for cold wx wading.
    Larry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast