Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default saltwater Cree necks

Does anyone know of a supplier of these? Some people also call them Varient necks. If anybody knows where they can be found, I would appreciate the info.

Thanks,
    Ken

Default Re: saltwater Cree necks

Hey Capt-

For smallish SW stuff like crabs and shrimp or other bonefish type flies you may just want to look through some Indian rooster "dry fly" necks. Most are mottled and barred in various shades of gingers, browns etc and are very inexpensive $3-12 or so depending on size and condition. Because the feathers the stems are thick and stiff and barbs tend to be long for tying dry flies they're not anywhere close to the quality of genetic dry fly hackle, but for crab claws and wrapped to form legs of shrimp they're great.

FH Dry Fly Rooster Necks at BEARSDEN.COM

Indian Dry Fly Rooster Necks - Fly Tying Materials - Chicago Fly Fishing Outfitters | ChiFly.com
    Mark

Another alternative for tying crab or shrimp patterns would be red chinchilla saddle, which looks a bit like grizzly, except reddish colors as in cree.
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

Thanks for your replies. I figured out shortly after posting that indian necks were the way to go. I called the shop in Chicago that was mentioned (found them on the web) and spoke with whomever answered, he quickly passed me on to "the guy who really knows about this". After a fairly in-depth conversation(10-15 minutes) he said "Hangon, let me go look at what we have." After a minute he came back, we talked about what they had in stock and it turned out that they only had one that would work for me and it was the cheaper of the grades. All told they spent a half hour on the phone with me to make a +/- $9.00 sale. AMAZING CUSTOMER SERVICE... I was really impressed and will shop with them again.