Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Bonefish reel?

1. Default Bonefish reel?

I will be going to Andros later this year & plan to use a Redington RS2 9/10 on my loomis 9' 8 weight rod with WF9F bonefish line. I have used it in the keys on bones, but would like some opinions if it's the reel for the Bahamas bones?

All comments welcome.

Thanks.

Default Re: Bonefish reel?

If you used it on Keys Bones you will have no problem with Bahama Bonefish. They are more plentiful but generally smaller.
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

I have no familiarity with this reel but my advice is this: any trip that takes you away from a near-by tackle store is insured by back-up tackle. You pay the $$$ to travel to Andros...unless the lodge or friend/host you will be fishing with has spare equipment (most don't), I advise you take a minimum of two rods and reels along. And two pairs of polarized sunglasses too.

Blog Entries

I know that this thread is over a month old. If you have not gone on the trip yet, make sure to look at the clutch bearing for corrosion. If it still in good condition, make sure to give it a thorough cleaning. Then apply a solid coat of marine quality grease to the bearing and its hub.

The Achilles' heel to that reel is the clutch bearing.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
    I know that this thread is over a month old. If you have not gone on the trip yet, make sure to look at the clutch bearing for corrosion. If it still in good condition, make sure to give it a thorough cleaning. Then apply a solid coat of marine quality grease to the bearing and its hub.

The Achilles' heel to that reel is the clutch bearing.

Dennis
    Agreed. There's many reels out there that have a clutch/roller bearing that MUST be well taken care of to use in the salt.

Their Rise reel is another fine example.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.