Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Pfluger Medalist

Quote Originally Posted by seajay View Post
    Rip what is the function of the cut out on the reel?
    Also as a side note. Were can I find schematics for the various fly reels?
    That's so you can press against the back of the spool.... a customized drag.

This site has many reel schematics
    Mike's Reel Repair - Free Online Schematics for Fishing Reels, Trolling Motors, and Downriggers - Home
    I know where there's a few others if you can be more specific...... they're not as easy to find
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Neat idea. Mikes does cover a few. Thanks

The 1498 with back cut should have a piece of leather tied on to protect your thumb while a fish runs. Lefty used this method for years. The other 2 reels are anti reverse and all 3 have seen the salt for years. Also check out http://www.onepfoot.com/
    sandfly/ bob
    (www.bigmeadowsflyshop.com)
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing Gillie..

Bob
    In Lefty's books he describes two different methods of modifying reel drags. The cut out as on my Medalists, and a leather pad added on rim control reels
    You're combining them
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

I checked my book and you are right there, but I saw lefty at the beach for years in seaside park nj. and I am sure he had a piece of leather mounted on the back. I too have the cut out on my 1498. Get a 20lb. tuna on and you'll want the leather.
    sandfly/ bob
    (www.bigmeadowsflyshop.com)
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing Gillie..

I always find it amusing. On any given fly fishing forum, on almost any given day, you see a question - I'd like to start fly fishing, but don't want to spend a fortune.

The answer they always receive, you need a $450 dollar rod and a $150 reel as a starter. As you progress, you will have to upgrade.

Fifty years ago, that type of equipment didn't even exist, but some how people managed to catch fish, sometimes alot of them. Granted, today's equipment is nice stuff, and nothing wrong with using it. However it is nice to be reminded all the bells and whistles are not necessary to have. You can still have alot of fun fishing with some pretty basic equipment.

The more you know, the less you need.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

There is a book about Ted Williams fishing the "Big Three, Tarpon, Atlantic Salmon, Bonefish. In some of the photos he has a Pfluger Medalist- being used by a guy that could afford any reel made.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Owl View Post
    There is a book about Ted Williams fishing the "Big Three, Tarpon, Atlantic Salmon, Bonefish. In some of the photos he has a Pfluger Medalist- being used by a guy that could afford any reel made.
    The final episode of the TV show The Fishin' Hole with Jerry McKinnis had Jerry, Ted Williams, and coach Bobby Knight fishing for Atlantic salmon in Russia. They show clearly that Mr Williams is using a Fenwick glass rod with a Medalist reel.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
    I always find it amusing. On any given fly fishing forum, on almost any given day, you see a question - I'd like to start fly fishing, but don't want to spend a fortune.

The answer they always receive, you need a $450 dollar rod and a $150 reel as a starter. As you progress, you will have to upgrade.

Fifty years ago, that type of equipment didn't even exist, but some how people managed to catch fish, sometimes alot of them. Granted, today's equipment is nice stuff, and nothing wrong with using it. However it is nice to be reminded all the bells and whistles are not necessary to have. You can still have alot of fun fishing with some pretty basic equipment.
    Ohhhhhh sooooo true!

Used PM's for years, for everything save fishing the salt (regular salt gear there). Only time I ever had one give up on me was with a 'mega-King' on the end of my fly line. That was 'over the top' for the 1495-1/2.

Warped the frame. Wish I'd kept that puppy; hell of a memory, hell of a fish.
    fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12