The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 04-26-2012, 03:07 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: reasons to saltwater fish

I have a new reason for saltwater fishing now....

i bought an 11wt and lamson reel at lunchtime today. Wasnt expecting that but when deals are thrown your way...jump on em right?!??!

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 05-11-2012, 08:51 PM

mattrevors is on a distinguished road

Because it's mentally & physically challenging, and freakin' fun!!!

mattrevors.com
@mattrevors
Old 09-11-2017, 05:54 AM

moana is on a distinguished road

what I love the most is the strenght of fishs and using this kind of flies...

Moana Flies - Summer is coming... | Facebook

Old 09-11-2017, 08:31 PM
reasons to saltwater fish

pnc is a glorious beacon of lightpnc is a glorious beacon of lightpnc is a glorious beacon of lightpnc is a glorious beacon of lightpnc is a glorious beacon of lightpnc is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by moana View Post
what I love the most is the strenght of fishs and using this kind of flies...

Moana Flies - Summer is coming... | Facebook

Hello , welcome to site !
How did you find this thread .?.... 2012.... I can't find stuff from yesterday.
Hope you'll be part of the forum. Mmmmmm.... not what I learned on this forum as being called a spammer (hope I got that right).

...... pc
Nice flies.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:29 AM

brokeoff will become famous soon enoughbrokeoff will become famous soon enough

Around here the sight fishing in the salt is better than the fresh.
Old Yesterday, 06:47 AM

karstopo has much to be proud ofkarstopo has much to be proud ofkarstopo has much to be proud ofkarstopo has much to be proud ofkarstopo has much to be proud ofkarstopo has much to be proud ofkarstopo has much to be proud ofkarstopo has much to be proud ofkarstopo has much to be proud ofkarstopo has much to be proud of

The saltwater environment, the estuaries, bays, marshes, beachfront are all public water. No private, fenced off water allowed.

It's massive with huge expanses of varying structure to explore that one person could never possibly exhaust.

The fish are wild and free ranging. Here in Texas, TP&W stocks redfish, but studies have shown the stocked fish are less than one percent of the mix. The hatchery is maintained more as a public outreach to tour groups or school field trips. But the fish aren't confined to an impoundment or narrow river channel. In theory and often in practice, the fish can move wherever their particular physiologies will let them.

It can be more like close range stalk hunting than fishing. Scouting a stretch of often wind and wave broken water looking for sign using every bit of skill and experience you can muster and then working out the stalk through a potential maze of structures to get in casting range, this is challenging stuff. Add to it all the intricacies of the cast and line in that same wind necessary to deliver the fly into just the right zone, not too close and not too far, and that zone itself varies day to day, and you have a recipe for circuit blowing delicious tension.

The outcome is almost always in question even when I'm certain I have the upper hand. For me, this is high drama. There's tragedy: lined fish, missed fish, set the hook too soon or late fish, big fish running into structure and breaking off fish. There's comedy, when low hanging fruit, slow moving, hungry fish are 30 feet away and I can't get the line unwrapped from my rod tip or when I throw that tailing loop and the fly catches the fly line and lands in a clump. And there is triumph when it all comes together and I bring some beautiful fish to hand.

I've had way more cases of "buck fever" casting at sighted fish like redfish, triple tail, Tarpon, mackerel and jacks than I ever have gotten stalking any land based ungulate.

To love saltwater fishing doesn't mean I hate freshwater fishing. But saltwater fly fishing has worked itself deep inside me more than the fresh. I keep finding more and more reasons to go back out on the brine.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes camelbrass, dennyk, brownbass, wf0 liked this post
Old Yesterday, 08:23 AM

dennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant future

I'd love to give salt water fishing a try one day. I like the idea of wading & spot and stalk like I do Carp fishing here in Michigan.

I think the salt would be a rush!

Denny
Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM
reasons to saltwater fish

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyk View Post
I'd love to give salt water fishing a try one day. I like the idea of wading & spot and stalk like I do Carp fishing here in Michigan.

I think the salt would be a rush!

Denny
Saltwater fish eat trout for breakfast
Likes brownbass, wf0 liked this post