Help Needed..New setup

mgonzo700

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. The past years I have been freshwater fly fishing for small bass with those inexpensive fly 5/6wt reel/rod/combo that come with line pre loaded. Well I have been wanting to try saltwater fly fishing for a very long time now. So I bought myself a pflueger trion M8 10wt rod, an Okuma SLV reel 10/11wt (nothing fancy to start out) ...Now I have know clue besides knowing that I need 10wt line what I need to purchase. I will be fishing for redfish, snook, and some blue water for small Mahi mahi, I want to try to hook a small dorado. . I need some info on what backing and line to use?? Your help will be greatly appreciated. I never knew how many different types of fly line and backing there were.

Thank you :)

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

One more thing....I have not mastered fly casting completely yet ,so i need a line that would be easy to cast with my setup.

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Your reel will take about 220 yards of 30 lb Dacron or Micron backing plus a weight forward 10 weight fly line.

As far as fly lines go, I've mostly used various Scientific Anglers Mastery lines (about $70) so can't rally comment on others for SW. There are a ton of choices, even in this family of fly lines-- floating or sinking, weight and coatings. Saltwater fly lines are generally stiffer than the fly lines used in freshwater to stand up better to wind and deliver large flies.

For new caster, I think I'd recommend a floating line. A floater will be helpful for fishing shallow water for redfish, and would be good for snook in shallow water as well. You can also use a floater for mahi especially if you're sight casting to them in weed lines, or have teased them to the surface. And for a 10 weight rod I'd get either a 10 weight or 11 weight line. (Over loading the rod with a bit heavier line might help a bit as you're learning to cast.)

Depending on where you're fishing you'll want a fly line that doesn't get too gummy in intense tropical heat (like a SA Mastery Tarpon Taper) or turn into a wire slinky in cold water and fishes well in a variety of temperatures (SA Salt Water Mastery).

I'm sure other fly line manufacturers like Rio and Air Flo have similar offerings and there are probably a variety of less expensive lines that would work too-- i just don't have experience with them.

If you have a local fly shop, you could perhaps try a few lines to see what works best with your outfit and buy a fly line from them and have them rig it all up and put the backing on for you (about $ .08 a yard). A local shop might also offer some casting lessons for a nominal fee to help get you started.

Keep asking questions-- we have a lot of members here that can give you great advice.

mgonzo700

Reaction score
Wow great info thanks.....I actually already purchased the backing and fly line. The backing is on......I bought scientific anglers mastery series saltwater tapered line, Im just not sure which end of the line goes to the reel. The package doesnt say anything, but there is one end with a streamlined loop. :confused:

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Great choice :)

As far as which end to attach to the backing, the end of the fly line on top of the spool (the first part to come off the plastic spool) is the rear of the fly line-- that way you can attach it to the backing and as you wind it onto the reel you'll end up with the front of the fly line on top of the reel. Put a pencil or something into the center of the spool as an axle so you can wind the fly line onto the reel from the plastic spool as it revolves like a wheel around the pencil -- (The reel and the plastic spool should be lined up in parallel to each other like an old fashioned reel to reel tape player. ) This way you can put the fly line on the reel without twisting the fly line.

As you wind the fly line onto the spool you'll see the fly line is mostly level at the rear until you get towards the front end, where it will start to get thicker-- this is the weight forward part of the weight forward taper fly line.

Here's a helpful link for the the knots you'll need: Fishing Knots | How to Tie Fishing Knots | Animated Fishing Knots

To attach the backing to the reel use an Arbor Knot

backing to rear end of fly line - Albright knot

Leader to front of fly line- Albright knot ( or you can attach the leader butt to that stream lined loop)

Leaders can be pretty basic for saltwater if you don't want to buy them -- To start, for a 9' leader for your 10 weight you might use about 5 feet of 50 pound Ande monofilament blood knotted to 2 feet of 30 lb blood knotted to 2 feet of 20 or 16 lb mono improved clinch or Duncan Loop to fly.

You should be able to purchase several yards of clear 50 and 30 yard Ande Premium mono from any bait and tackle shop (not just fly fishing shops) and a 1/4 spool ( about 600 yards) of clear Ande 20 lb for $10.99, or if you can find a shop has them, Ande also sells 50 yard skeins of monofilament leader material on "wristlets" (handy for storage). This is a bit stiffer and more abrasion resistant than the Ande premium mono (regular fishing line). The 50 yard skeins are approximately $6 for 50 lb, $5 for 30lb and $4 for 20 lb test.

You can purchase tapered knotless saltwater leaders, but making your own is a lot less expensive and the basic leaders are pretty simple. After awhile you'll want to learn some more complicated knots like the Bimini twist etc, but for now simple leaders should be fine for redfish, weakfish (sea trout) and snook.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Gonzo, just out of curiosity, where will you be fishing? I can't wait to get home to do some saltwater fishing. I just picked up a few new Rio saltwater lines for tarpon (12wt), redfish and snook (8wt), and mahi (10wt). I will likely be fishing mostly floating lines. And while the welded loop is a good indicator of the end of the line that will be attached to your leader, you can also tell by finding the end which has a thicker taper once you get a few feet into the fly line. The thinner end will be the side you attach to your backing, while the other end is the weight-forward (WF) end. This will apply with most line types, except for double taper, which will have thicker tapers at each end.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, the only thing I'll add is............ fill the reel spool up with as much backing line as you can when planning to fish in oceans. Did you put at least 150 yards on there?

Welcome to the group, I hope you'll continue to visit the site and become a frequent poster here.

Ard

mgonzo700

Reaction score
Gonzo, just out of curiosity, where will you be fishing? I can't wait to get home to do some saltwater fishing. I just picked up a few new Rio saltwater lines for tarpon (12wt), redfish and snook (8wt), and mahi (10wt). I will likely be fishing mostly floating lines. And while the welded loop is a good indicator of the end of the line that will be attached to your leader, you can also tell by finding the end which has a thicker taper once you get a few feet into the fly line. The thinner end will be the side you attach to your backing, while the other end is the weight-forward (WF) end. This will apply with most line types, except for double taper, which will have thicker tapers at each end.
hi Gator, I fish mostly in the florida keys. I got the line on now thanks, Just realised I put too little backing:icon_cry: