Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Did someone trick the noob?

I've used those floating lights too They're very popular for panfishing in some areas. I don't think the problem with a light is so much the light itself, but the movement of shadows it creates. I don't know if all species of fish can see a red light, but it doesn't cause much of a shadow. A bright white light certainly does.

There was a place I used to fish a lot at night for catfish & panfish that was very near a roadway. The baitfish in the shallows would scatter every time a car passed & the lights shown down on the water. Yet a light floating in the water didn't bother them & even attracted them as FISHN50 said. IMO it was a movement of the shadow or edge that the light caused that spooked them, not the light itself.

Even in daylight I've witnessed fish scattering when a cloud or plane caused a shadow to move across the water.
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

2. Likes FISHN50 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
    Even in daylight I've witnessed fish scattering when a cloud or plane caused a shadow to move across the water.

I've seen a Butterfly fly over a school of Bonefish feeding on the Flats scare them off.
    Neil
    fishn50@aol.com
    Remember to fill in the dash----

I was at Walmart earlier, so I picked up a headlamp just for giggles. Sure enough, the lady fish stand out, but they won't hit anything.

ive shined for racoon, deer and coyotes....but never tried shining fish

As others have said, some fish eyes will really stand out in the light - like tarpon for instance - but certainly lights are no aid in catching any of the sport fish I know of except for fixed bridge and dock lights as mentioned earlier.

Some baitfish become exceptionally frantic when exposed to bright light. Ballyhoo in particular come to mind which can be herded like sheep with a Q-Beam to the point that they will jump into the boat in prolific numbers and pose a serious hazzard to anyone not wearing safety glasses. The have long pointed beaks like billfish.

Hat lights are great for tying on flys in the boat, but do nothing positive for the fishing in my opinion, and should be on only when absolutely necessary.
    http://www.miterclamp.com/Images/N_Amer_FF.jpg Cheers, Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12