Did someone trick the noob?

redyote

Reaction score
So I'm at Orvis today in Destin when the salesman told me that he went out at night with a light. He said the fishes' eyes reflected the light, then you cast to them. Anyone familiar with this?

Monello

Reaction score
I have never heard of this trick. Did he mention what species of fish? With all the things I have read about fishing over the years this has never come up.

The more I think about this, the less I believe it. He may have been pulling your leg.

webrx

Reaction score
I always heard if you shine a light in Florida you can see the gators eyes light up. Never heard that about a fish though.

d

tbblom

Reaction score
yep, on my girlfriend's parent's boat in the keys at night, we would look for fish, crabs, and anything else with a big spot light. The smaller food gets illuminated, and the fish come to eat. we would see lots of spooky looking ladyfish eyes. They are about small trout size though, not really what you are trying to catch in Florida.

Some people use a campfire or lights for night fishing for catfish. If their food is lit up, chances are it could be good.

L

Liphookedau

So I'm at Orvis today in Destin when the salesman told me that he went out at night with a light. He said the fishes' eyes reflected the light, then you cast to them. Anyone familiar with this?
Did you ask if he was Fishing for Crocs as they really stand out at night?
I've Fished a lot at Night however even though from time to time you see Fish I haven't really noticed Their eyes,Shrimp really stand out as they have Big eyes & are luminous.
Brian.

theboz

Reaction score
Ok......generally flashing any light on
The water in SW fishing is akin to kissing the fish goodbye. In freshwater you can see Walleye eyes along the shoreline at night by using a light but I still wouldn't do it. In saltwater baitfish swim in and out of bridge lights but the predators like snook and stripers hide in the shadowline ready to ambush the confused baitfish.
Tell the guy you talked with to flash a light on the water at Montauk during the Striper run and see if he gets off the beach alive!

redyote

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'm new to saltwater. I had hoped for a guide, but not this time. I'll keep at it; looking like an idiot has never stopped me from trying.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Stripers, Snook, whatever you're after can get used to stationary lights, such as those on bridges & docks, but I agree with the above, flashing a flashlight is not usually a good thing & can spook the fish. I don't do much night fishing, more so when I was younger, and we used a small light with a red lens for tying knots & changing flies, otherwise the light stayed off. :shades:

FISHN50

Reaction score
Back in my Bassing days I would throw a " Spider Light" ( floating headlight) overboard to attract the bait fish & fish just outside the cone of light. It really worked on quiet, still nights around weedbeds. I haven't bass fished in a while & I gave the light to a buddy who fishes the Salt, & I really don't know if he ever used it. I'll ask.
I never heard of being able to see fish's eyes with a flashlight. Now I have a red light on my vest that I use for night fishing, at least until the bats come out.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I've used those floating lights too They're very popular for panfishing in some areas. I don't think the problem with a light is so much the light itself, but the movement of shadows it creates. I don't know if all species of fish can see a red light, but it doesn't cause much of a shadow. A bright white light certainly does.

There was a place I used to fish a lot at night for catfish & panfish that was very near a roadway. The baitfish in the shallows would scatter every time a car passed & the lights shown down on the water. Yet a light floating in the water didn't bother them & even attracted them as FISHN50 said. IMO it was a movement of the shadow or edge that the light caused that spooked them, not the light itself.

Even in daylight I've witnessed fish scattering when a cloud or plane caused a shadow to move across the water.

redyote

Reaction score
I was at Walmart earlier, so I picked up a headlamp just for giggles. Sure enough, the lady fish stand out, but they won't hit anything.

wjc

Reaction score
As others have said, some fish eyes will really stand out in the light - like tarpon for instance - but certainly lights are no aid in catching any of the sport fish I know of except for fixed bridge and dock lights as mentioned earlier.

Some baitfish become exceptionally frantic when exposed to bright light. Ballyhoo in particular come to mind which can be herded like sheep with a Q-Beam to the point that they will jump into the boat in prolific numbers and pose a serious hazzard to anyone not wearing safety glasses. The have long pointed beaks like billfish.

Hat lights are great for tying on flys in the boat, but do nothing positive for the fishing in my opinion, and should be on only when absolutely necessary.