Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which Rod? TFO TicR 7 wt?

I just went into town and stopped by my local fly shop to have my TFO BVK sent off. While I was there I cast a TiCr (not the TiCr X) and it felt pretty good. its $200.00.
    - Does anyone have any opinions on this rod? Are there any other 7wt rods you might suggest? The new rod will be used for wade and kayaking fishing (specks, redfish, bass etc).

Thanks,
    Galen

Default Re: Which Rod? TFO TicR 7 wt?

Quote Originally Posted by flats4life View Post
    I just went into town and stopped by my local fly shop to have my TFO BVK sent off. While I was there I cast a TiCr (not the TiCr X) and it felt pretty good. its $200.00.
    - Does anyone have any opinions on this rod? Are there any other 7wt rods you might suggest? The new rod will be used for wade and kayaking fishing (specks, redfish, bass etc).

Thanks,
    Galen
    I have one and fish it alot for LargeMouth. It's definately faster than the BVK so I would get some casting practice in with it before you buy it.
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

I would try the BVK series, I love mine... The TFO TiCR felt way to broomsticky for me, the BVK is still very fast.

I have tried the TiCr X in the 7wt but not just the normal TiCr. Was using it to throw HEAVY flies to big carp and it worked out alright.

Though $200 for that rod is very appealing I'd take "thewalker's" suggestion. At $200 you are gettin in the realm of a lot of fine rods. The BVK is at $250-ish along with many others. 20% more will get you lots of choices. Better shops will let you try them out in typically a field next to their shop.

TFO at many shops has some deep discount on models that are getting upgraded. Just bought a 5wt Signature I for $69 from Roys in Corpus Christi. Fine rod at the price point.

Pete A.

Quote Originally Posted by thewalker1013 View Post
    I would try the BVK series, I love mine... The TFO TiCR felt way to broomsticky for me, the BVK is still very fast.
    I think I read that he alread has a BVK, I believe he's looking for another rod in addition to his BVK.
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

If you are looking for a fast action 7wt you might consider a Colton rod. I have one and I overlined it to slow it down some. It has a LOT of back bone for lifting power and I think I paid about $170 on ebay. I will also say that I own 2 TFO rods and have no complaints there either. I am considering a new BVK 9wt to finish out my rod stable.

Thanks for all the input guys. I guess I should have clarified in my original post that the BVK I got fixed was, in fact, a 9 wt. Sorry for any confusion. I have considered getting another BVK in a 7 wt but my local shop didn't have one in stock while I was there, so I tried the TicR. Ditz, I really like my BVK 9 wt. I think you would be very pleased if your looking to get a new 9 wt. especially if you already have a couple TFO rods. Although I have not hooked up on anything that really tested it, I feel like I can cast it all day if I wanted to.

-Galen

the ticrx has a much better tip and more feel. Lots and lots of backbone.

If you're not bound by 7wt, i have TFO TiCr X 7'6 6wt, brand new, still has wrap on the cork, for $160 shipped. Its only been out of the sock once, and the warranty is blank
    Eunan

Addicted To Vise Flies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast