Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Saltwater rod question

I fish the salt with a 7wt and an 8wt. The vast majority of people in westcoast central Florida (ie Tampa Bay) I believe use 9wts. Its known around here as the all-around or general purpose rod. The only time I'd ever go 11 or 12 is if I was going offshore or chasing tarpon. But I have a friend who I fish with weekly who uses a 6wt which he landed a 34" snook on last summer. I tend to think the smaller weight rods can handle more than most of us think they can.

Quote Originally Posted by cdaxj View Post
    I fish the salt with a 7wt and an 8wt. The vast majority of people in westcoast central Florida (ie Tampa Bay) I believe use 9wts. Its known around here as the all-around or general purpose rod. The only time I'd ever go 11 or 12 is if I was going offshore or chasing tarpon. But I have a friend who I fish with weekly who uses a 6wt which he landed a 34" snook on last summer. I tend to think the smaller weight rods can handle more than most of us think they can.
    They absolutely can. The problem I have with lighter rods is they don't handle larger flies and wind as well as a heavier WT rod. I have no doubt I could land a 30lb Striper on a 6WT, if I could reach it
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

From the rods I've owned, it seems that there is a bigger jump in power between 9's and 10's than between 8's and 9's. There also is not much difference between 11's and 12's with Sage and Sintrex either, when it comes to casting. What little difference there is seems to be in the butt. That's why I think so many guys go either even or odd numbers on their rod selections at least until - at least for a while .

However, Swirl would know a lot more about the 8,9,10 range as he is an excellent caster fishing in as difficult a situation as you'll find almost anywhere.
    http://www.miterclamp.com/Images/N_Amer_FF.jpg Cheers, Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12