Best reel

wilky

Reaction score
Hi

I am looking for a new reel with sealed and reliable drag
i was thinking of a Lamson Velocity 4 or a Lamson Guru 4 i like the reel to be larger to allow for more backing ( better to have more than less) dont want to spend more than $275 ( i get a discount through my work )

Any suggestions
Vincent

pete a

Reaction score
I have TFO large arbor, Lamson Konics, Guru and Bauer MX4. All are great reels. Like most I've fondled or fished next to most of the others. IMHO if you stay with the top 6-8 "named" reels you will be satisfied.

In case you find a reel you love but it can't hold the capacity you want I suggest you consider braid (flyshops call this 'gel spun" rest of ALL fishing shops call it braid) over 20 or 30# dacron. For these I choose 50# PowerPro braid, far thinner than 20# dacron. heck if one steps down to 30# or even 20# braid the capacity increases hugely.

Knots are different as it doesn't stretch at all. Plus the smaller diameter requires more care on the flyline to backing connection. But braid is bullet proof.

Most non-fly shops have large/huge selections of braids; colors, sizes, brands..... Where as most better fly shops typically only have one brand of dacron in 2 sizes.

Pete A.

chuck s

Reaction score
Hi

I am looking for a new reel with sealed and reliable drag
i was thinking of a Lamson Velocity 4 or a Lamson Guru 4 i like the reel to be larger to allow for more backing ( better to have more than less) dont want to spend more than $275 ( i get a discount through my work )

Any suggestions
Vincent
The Bauer mentioned above isn't a sealed drag which brings me to question why you wanted it sealed? The top reels, the Tibors, Abels, Bauers and some such as the Old Florida reels were unsealed, and of a cork against teflon or other slick material design. These reels account for most of the Salt Water Records and rate veery high when reels are tested.

mrfzx

Reaction score
The Bauer mentioned above isn't a sealed drag which brings me to question why you wanted it sealed? The top reels, the Tibors, Abels, Bauers and some such as the Old Florida reels were unsealed, and of a cork against teflon or other slick material design. These reels account for most of the Salt Water Records and rate veery high when reels are tested.
I agree here. I LOVE Islanders, and they are not sealed, but don't let us change your mind. I think either of the Lamsons will serve you well....though neither is truely a "sealed" drag.

You didn't ask us what we thought of sealed drags, only which we thought was best. One of my worst sporting goods store memories was going in to purchase my first deer rifle, and the guy behind the counter basically told me I didn't want what I wanted. Luckily, I was with my father and maternal grandfather who very quickly told the salesperson what to do with his opinions.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
There are a few very fine sealed drag salt water reels but Hatch, Nautilus NV, Tibor Signature and Hardy Fortuna X cost significantly more than the poster hopes to spend. However, I agree with the above posts that point out that Abel, Tibor and Islander reels are beloved by salts for good reason; their performance is beyond reproach and they are easily user maintainable.

I like to point out that we lost a Space Shuttle once due to a faulty (very costly) "O" ring...a sealed drag that fails is done, a draw-bar reel that becomes contaminated gets taken apart, rinsed out, put back together and is back in service right away. I do not intend to denigrate in any way the above high quality and innovative sealed drag reels and I have fished several of them with great results. Beware though of large sized trout reels being marketed as salt water reels, rarely is the design transferable.

wilky

Reaction score
Thanks for the input and advice.
Ok what reel do you suggest budget is $350 ish can go $400 on Hardy,Galvan Lamson ( as i get a discount from work)
I want a reel that will last want be affected if it gets dunked and dropped in the surf.
I ideally want it to hold a 9 wt line and 200+ yds of backing

Or would you recommend saving for a while longer and getting a Tibor etc

I am new to Saltwater Fly fishing

Vincent

Last edited:

chuck s

Reaction score
I've turned to Ebay quite often on reels and the Bauers are currently the best value. You'd get more than enough reel for the money you are talking and perhaps even pick up an Abel such as I managed a few weeks back for just $250 for a Super 7 in great shape. Tibors hold there value the best it seems but these might fit in your budget at times, especially during the winter months when bidding slows on fly reels and prices drop. I picked up a Tibor Evergladeds a year or so back for just under $300 including shipping. Just make sure the seller has a high number of transactions and a good rating. Besides Bauer reels, the Old Florida reels when they appear usually go for a bargin price and they are a rock solid Tibor, style drage system, reel. Islanders are also another that you can find at superb prices now and then.

wilky

Reaction score
thanks i will check out ebay,
I can get a brand new Galvan T-10 for around $350 after tax with my work discount with a free line and backing . I know they are fairly popular but i havent used one always been out of my price range ( always made do with cheaper reels)

chased

Reaction score
Browsing ebay can save you lots of cash. Even with your discount through work (cabelas?) you can still pick up a new in box reel off ebay for cheaper in most cases.

44runner

Reaction score
Thanks for the input and advice.
Ok what reel do you suggest budget is $350 ish can go $400 on Hardy,Galvan Lamson ( as i get a discount from work)
I want a reel that will last want be affected if it gets dunked and dropped in the surf.
I ideally want it to hold a 9 wt line and 200+ yds of backing

Or would you recommend saving for a while longer and getting a Tibor etc

I am new to Saltwater Fly fishing

Vincent
Don't save anymore and buy a reel. A reel stores line and creates drag. There are plenty of reels in your price range that will do that effectively. Buy your reel and have some fun.

I own a Lamson Guru 3.5 and a Redington Rise 7/8. Both are awesome and you would be fine with either. A lot of people around here love the Okuma SLV but that doesn't have a huge line capacity like you said you wanted.

44runner

Reaction score
Take a quick look at a 'Sea Level Tempest' and read some reviews. I am looking a them and the Konic.

FWIW, the Konic is not recommend by Lamson for salt water. With it being cast aluminum they say it isn't as corrosion resistant as all their other machined reels.

Jackster

Reaction score
A reel stores line and creates drag.
The fact is that some reels do both better than others. If all you fish for are finless stockers, twine wrapped around an empty Mountain Dew can will work. If you're pushing the limit of your tippet and don't want to bust the fish off because the reel jerks when starting to spin or the drag stutters during a run then you should probably go with something decent. If you're rock-hopping and think you might have the reel kiss a few rocks during the day it's hard to beat the strength of a machined bar-stock reel.
I always choose a reel with the thought that there really isn't a true 'sealed' drag system. Just when you rely on it being sealed a few drops of saltwater in the guts that are left ignored because the reel is supposedly sealed can really make a mess. I learned that the hard way with a rather expensive 'submariner' watch I had. :doh:

44runner

Reaction score
The fact is that some reels do both better than others. If all you fish for are finless stockers, twine wrapped around an empty Mountain Dew can will work. If you're pushing the limit of your tippet and don't want to bust the fish off because the reel jerks when starting to spin or the drag stutters during a run then you should probably go with something decent. If you're rock-hopping and think you might have the reel kiss a few rocks during the day it's hard to beat the strength of a machined bar-stock reel.
I always choose a reel with the thought that there really isn't a true 'sealed' drag system. Just when you rely on it being sealed a few drops of saltwater in the guts that are left ignored because the reel is supposedly sealed can really make a mess. I learned that the hard way with a rather expensive 'submariner' watch I had. :doh:

Do you think in his 3 company limit and price range there aren't great reels?
Do you think he needs to save more money or do you agree that he should buy a reel and get started catching fish?
We are also in the saltwater forum. Chances are he isn't catching many stocked fish in the ocean.
Most, if not all, reels in his 350 to 400 dollar price range will be machined reels.
Your post sounds more like you flexing your e-awesomeness than trying to help this dude out.
400 bucks can buy you a very nice reel...

Last edited:

qec

Reaction score
I own (all in larger sizes) :

Lamson Radius (3.5)
Lamson Velocity (both current and previous generation 3.0, 3.5)
Albright Tempest (now called Sea Level IV)
Redington Breakwater ( 7/8, 9/10, 11/12)
Teton (10, 10LA)

All of these work great in saltwater, have plenty of drag unless you are going to tuna or sailfish. Each has their good and bad points but I like them all.

I would not be concerned about being sealed. Just rinse the reel after each use. I actually prefer the ability to take the drag apart and clean everything. Salt has a way of building up and once in a while a good cleaning is needed.
If you want light weight go with Lamson. Don't get the Konic. I've landed a tons of large 20+lb salmon, lots of big browns and steelhead, stripers, bluefish on Lamson reels.
If you don't mind the weight, the Albright (Sea Level) reels have a very strong drag as does the Redington Breakwater.
If you have time troll ebay for any of the ones I listed above. I don't have any experience with Bauer, Tibor or Abel. They all have great reputations but they are all overpriced in my book (although I can see a Tibor in my future not because they are worth it but because I want one).

Quinn

Jackster

Reaction score
Wilky, I agree that browsing the interweb can find you some mighty fine deals on reels. If you can hang on a bit our club was gifted some very nice salt water gear including a few very clean Bauer reels. I'll be riding in a few minutes with the guy who has this gear and has the minimum bid price list for the reels (and rods) I can tell you the stuff looks brand new and the prices are well within your parameters (if I recall correctly) Gimme a few hours to get back here.

44runner, when you stated...
A reel stores line and creates drag.
it set off an alarm is all. The old-timers and the thriftiest people I know around here say that all the time but they usually don't even mention the drag. ;)
Being in the salt water forum, a reel should be able to handle salts corrosive properties and should have a drag that won't melt, skip or stutter in use or on take-off when those salty, powerful fish fight.
I would rather see the guy buy a reel just once.
By the way, the Okuma SLV is also a cast reel like the Konic.

Your post sounds more like you flexing your e-awesomeness than trying to help this dude out.
To be honest, prolly a bit of both! :tongue:

ditz

Reaction score
few rocks during the day it's hard to beat the strength of a machined bar-stock reel.
I agree that the machined reels will take more abuse for being 'banged' around. It that is the kind of abuse that you are expecting to encounter I would prefer a Pflueger Medalist. They will take years of abuse and still function as new. In the old days many, many salt fish were caught on them. One just needs to rinse the salt off and out after each use in the salt. I have 4 that I still use in the salt.

FWIW, the Konic is not recommend by Lamson for salt water. With it being cast aluminum they say it isn't as corrosion resistant as all their other machined reels.
I sure wouldn't argue with Lamson but I am not sure I understand the recommendation. All aluminum will be attacked by salt. Machined or cast. It is the surface treatment that protects from the salt. This statement would lead me to believe that the Konic does not go thru the same protection process at the more upscale reels. I do know that a lot of the Texas boys use them in the coastal salt for reds and trout. Thanks for the heads up though. That levels my choices to the Sea Level Tempest which is heavier. It does have the seviceable cork drag though.

qec

Reaction score
Regarding the cast aluminum reels. I have an Okuma SLV and due to the paint (not anodized ) and cast material the paint finished eventually blistered and developed white powdery corrosion. That reel is a fine low end fresh water reel for large fish (mine gets used by guests for King salmon) but not for saltwater. My concern is that the cast Lamson will have the same problem.

Quinn

44runner

Reaction score
I agree that the machined reels will take more abuse for being 'banged' around. It that is the kind of abuse that you are expecting to encounter I would prefer a Pflueger Medalist. They will take years of abuse and still function as new. In the old days many, many salt fish were caught on them. One just needs to rinse the salt off and out after each use in the salt. I have 4 that I still use in the salt.

I sure wouldn't argue with Lamson but I am not sure I understand the recommendation. All aluminum will be attacked by salt. Machined or cast. It is the surface treatment that protects from the salt. This statement would lead me to believe that the Konic does not go thru the same protection process at the more upscale reels. I do know that a lot of the Texas boys use them in the coastal salt for reds and trout. Thanks for the heads up though. That levels my choices to the Sea Level Tempest which is heavier. It does havet the seviceable cork drag though.
Cast isn't going to be as good basically for the reason you mentioned. Most machined reels are anodized which is a pretty tough coating although there are different levels of anodizing. Cast aluminum can be anodized but it is difficult and is generally not done. Cast material of all types tends to have porosity so once your barrier coating is compromised it will be difficult to stop corrosion.

It is a common misconception that aluminum doesn't rust. The fact is that it actually has a higher oxygen affinity than iron. Alumina (Aluminum-oxide) is white and powdery looking stuff like qec said.

Rinse those reels...

Last edited: