Opinion on this set up

wilky

Reaction score
Ok what are your opinions on this saltwater setup #

Sage One 9ft 9wt 4pc
Galvan T-10 (Black)
Rio Tropical F/I 9wt
Rio Mainstream Floating 9wt (for Salmon/Carp/Catfish fishing also)

intend it for general saltwater fishing and a Atlantic Salmon rod.

I will save up and buy a spare spool and a floating line also thnking the SA Mastery Textured Saltwater Line

Dos this setup look ok to you.
Many Thank

Vincent

bigjim5589

Reaction score
No experience with any of those specifically, but a 9 wt is a good all purpose saltwater rod, and should be fine for the other species you've mentioned.

I use an 8, 9 or 10 wt for Striper fishing, depending on the waters. Have even used a 6 wt, but not my first choice. :)

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I visited the shop today after work and put a loaded T-10 on a 9 weight One. The reel made the rod feel butt heavy. A fully loaded T-8 felt better.

If you are so worried about backing capacity, use a 50ish pound test super braid line. On that reel a super braid of that tensile strength will fill up anywhere from 300 to 400 yards on a T-8. I'm partial to Daiwa Samurai Braid since it sits flat on the spool.

As for lines, make your choice for the waters and conditions that you intend to fish and the presentations that you intend to make.

Have you cast a 9 weight One? I have had a lot of feedback that it feels so stiff when casting that some prefer to upline it with a 10 weight line in order to soften it up some. Do you think that you might fall into that camp?

Dennis

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
The #9 ONE is a flats rod that is not a great choice for repeated blind casting, go with the Xi3 instead. I have no experience with Galvin reels but understand they are fine trout reels. I ask thoes of you who know; do they have sufficient drag sweep area for saltwater applications, don't they use a hub-type drag?

wilky

Reaction score
Thanks, I havent st the 9 wt ( we dont have any in stock and the boss doesnt want to get one in as he doesnt think it will sell, I have cast the 8wt and i liked it alot. I like a stiffer rod personally, I keep forgetting about braided backing. We dont have any T-8s or T-10s instock also :( but if you think a T-8 with supper braid will give me 250+ yds of backing i will go for that. Conditions i will be fishin in is mainly Windy lol so thats why a thought a sinktip would help cut through the wind.

Do you know where i can buy some of the Daiwa Samurai Braid 30lb or 50lb in a spool around 1000yds ( will allow me to spool up a spare spool to ) I can get the SA xts Gel Spun backing 30lb 1000yd for around $100 or 500yds for about $50 would this backing be ok

Many Thanks
Vincent

wjc

Reaction score
Wilky,I am puzzled by your line choice.

Although I've never fished a tropical line anywhere but in the Florida Keys, I will say that it wouldn't be in my list of choices for Scotland.

The Rio tropical lines I fish have a hard mono core and could well be similar to trying to shoot bed springs through your guides in Scotland. I'd hold off on that line until I had made plans to go somewhere very warm, unless that's already on your calandar.

PS: Also, when talking about backing if you are unfamiliar with it, I would not use the generic term, "braided" for "gel spun". All fishing line other than monofilament line is braided and there are huge differences between them.

wilky

Reaction score
Sorry the tropical line would be for Spain and the Mederteranian as i travel that area alot usually and its Hot there around 100-120 F during early spring till mid fall. I intend to get a coldwater saltwater line also for Scotland
just havent decided on what one.

I am not a whoe lot familiar with backing as i have always used standard dacron that my shop put on my reels.

wjc

Reaction score
Ok, got you on the temperature.

I still have "Magibraid" on quite a few of my spools where I don't need a lot of capacity. It's a pretty standard trolling line braided from Dacron and is not thin; but, like probably all modern dacron fishing braids, it is hollow so it can be easily spliced.

I have "gel spun" or "Spectra" Hollow braid on those spools where I wanted a lot of backing capacity. With "gel spun" (Spectra fiber is one of them) if you want it hollow, you have to specify hollow. Most gel spun/spectra is braided without being hollow and, therefore, cannot be blind spliced like regular dacron braid and hollow spectra. But hollow spectra is very expensive compared to the solid.

ditz

Reaction score
the 50# gel spun is a good choice if lots of backing is needed. Just be aware that it is thinner than dacron and it will easily cut a bare finger. The other drawback to gel spun is the cost.

TeddyBallgame09

Reaction score
Wilky,
I'm following this thread with great interest and enjoyment.
MP once again shows why he is such a valued member here with his post going the extra mile to do some in-depth research with regard to balancing the outfit etc.
My .02 cents is aimed at helping you with another choice for line.
The AirFlo Sniper 40+ in 10 wt. has been an absolute GEM on my 9 wt. Orvis Access. I mean...it shoots out like a cannon...I was reluctant to buy it, since it is not as popular (yet) over here as some other brands (ie RIO, SA, Orvis etc) but I got a good deal on it a little while back and figured I'd try it.
This line is outstanding!!!!!!!
Quite popular in the UK from what I can gather...it might be worth looking into.

Anyway, best of luck in your quest!

All the best,
TB09

wilky

Reaction score
Ok due to plans to move back to Scotland have ended up coming a few weeks sooner than expected And sage not having the Sage One i was hoping for in stock i have decided to go with the Xi3 9ft 9wt and a Sage 4210 reel with a Spare Spool with SA Gel spun backing ( will 500 Yds for each be enough )
do you think this will work well for Salt and Surf fishing.

Vincent

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I'm sure that it's all adequate ;)

The rod that I'm using in this picture is a $25 8wt (with a 10wt line) that I've since rebuilt and I don't think that I have a single SW reel with more than 150 yards of backing. The SA System 2 reel here has 100 yards at most.
People often overestimate how much backing that they'll realistically ever need.

Last edited: