Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Surf fishing for Whiting

I saw an article in the Florida Times Union in reference to Whiting. Has anyone had any success with whiting on a fly? If so, any reommendations such as line type and flies? I have an 8 Wt. with floating line. Will that be ok or should I use a sinking line?

Thanks, Kenny

Default Re: Surf fishing for Whiting

In jersey we would use a jetty bug imatation, just cast into the wash...make sure you stay back or you spook them. somtimes we had to stand 40 foot up on the sand and lay our line on the sand..floating is fine,
    sandfly/ bob
    (www.bigmeadowsflyshop.com)
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing Gillie..

3. Default Re: Surf fishing for Whiting

Kenny,

try any sand flea patterns for permit. if you have a clear sinking tip that will work best, if not use split shot to keep your fly near the bottom. you might be able to find some patterns that are weighted. If you tie your own I will be more than happy to give you my sand flea pattern that I use down here for whiting, permit and pompano in the surf.

#2 mustad 3407dt or equivelent

pink or yellow flat waxed nylon thread

pink flashabou or pink crystal flash

medium pearl dumbell eyes

white or very light brown chenille

Debard hook place in vice and sharpen (this is just a suggestion). start your thread about 1/4 of the way behind the eye.
    Tie in eyes and cement down, start wrapping thread towards bend of the hook. tie in a sparse amount of flash material, working back toward the eye. then take your chenille and start it about the same place as the flash. wrap chenille forward to eyes and beyond, stop just behind eye. proceed to wrap the chenille back to the bend and back to the eye of the hook. cinch down end of chenille with thread, tie off and apply head cement. thats it your done.

Simplest fly I know that works well in the surf. I will see if I have a pictire of one and will post, if not I will tie one up real quick and then post.

Hope this helps
    Let us all share our wisdom with a younger generation. Tight Loops, Tight Lines and Good Fishing to All

4. Default Re: Surf fishing for Whiting

Kenny,

here are 2 that work well

you might want to find patterns close to this. or I can send you a half dozen or so of these
    Let us all share our wisdom with a younger generation. Tight Loops, Tight Lines and Good Fishing to All

Default Re: Surf fishing for Whiting

Very nice ties TB i have a similar sand flea pattern but with craft fur insted of chenile it works really well around the new and full moon. the sand fleas shed then and i think the whiting really key on the soft ones. When i see sand flea shells floating or in the wash it really works well. I have caught flounder trout and stripers on them. The chenile seems to add alot of flash would work well in the Delaware surf.
    Jim
    I don't always fly fish but when I do I prefer salt water. Stay salty my freinds

6. Default Re: Surf fishing for Whiting

Quote Originally Posted by jimw View Post
    Very nice ties TB i have a similar sand flea pattern but with craft fur insted of chenile it works really well around the new and full moon. the sand fleas shed then and i think the whiting really key on the soft ones. When i see sand flea shells floating or in the wash it really works well. I have caught flounder trout and stripers on them. The chenile seems to add alot of flash would work well in the Delaware surf.
    Jim
    Jim,

didnt think to use craft fur, i will have to give it a go.

the area where Kenny is fishing is near the St. Johns River area, and the out flow around the inlet is fairly stained, I believe.

easy to tie, give it a go.