Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First rod/reel

Blog Entries

Default Re: First rod/reel

As for tying your own leaders, use whatever material you want to use. A lot of NorCal Striped Bass guides tie their own with Berkley Big Game. Usually when the fish get bigger, they usually are not leader shy.

Dennis

I have some Super Strong tippet left over from the '80s that I still use.
    Good Stuff.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

My only advise is to use fresh leaders. I broke off several bonefish on my first trip due to using old stuff.
    Also use nail knots not chinese loops as they can rot too with age.
    Good luck in joining the club!
    striper33

Until you target bones your straight leader of 14# should work OK. I have seen where several of the salty FF use straight leaders. Some use hand tied leaders with 40# butts and 15 or 20# tippets. Some go a little further and use a section of 30# in front of the tippet. Go with whatever works for you. There is no magic needed. I am using furled leaders on my light outfits but on my 7wt and up I just use a 4ft. 40# butt with a loop on both ends and a tippet section of 8 to 15# either mono or florocarbon. If you need shock tippets you can always tie up a few before a trip and attach with with loop to loop. Have fun

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12