How do you guys feel about the moon?

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Full moon tonight gentlemen, it should be all out chaos or a very quiet night. I've never had tremendous luck on a full moon so I don't have great expectations. How do you guess do fishing the moon?

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I used to moon people much more often when I was younger but ....... Ohhhhh, the Moon. :D

The only thing it seems to do here is when the Emerald Shiners run the river in the Fall. Last Fall we discovered Walleye hitting them well out into the river on the surface. When there was a moon but cloud cover as well, they stayed on the surface. As soon as there was a hole in the clouds where the moon could light things, it drives MOST (not all) of the shiners down. Along with them go MOST (not all) of the Walleye. The moon drives Emerald Shiners down from the surface but not to the bottom. It makes getting the Walleye harder, so I am not a fan of the Moon being out.

I have heard a lot of talk about Moon phases as well. I don't buy it. I have seen just as much evidence it is complete nonsense as to it working. Besides, those tables and my time off do not coincide that well.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I think that it makes a big difference in places where there's a lot of moving water like a channel between an island and the mainland or a rip at the mouth of a bay or saltpond.
Stronger tides, faster water, more chaos
The larger difference in tides on a beach or at a point helps to concentrate bait on the ebb and will let the gamefish explore territory that they couldn't normally reach on the flood.
I'm not sure that makes as much of a difference as the fast water but it all depends on the specific location

kwb

Traveler of Both Time and Space
Reaction score
In my experience, the morning after a full moon night, fishing can be pretty slow, especially in situations like fishing Lake Michigan or whatnot.

There is enough light that the predators "Salmon for example" feed through the night much more efficiently, thus killing the morning bite...

Other than that, obviously the tide is effected by the moon so in that sense I pay attention to it, but not in any other ways...

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Technically today the moon phase will be 97% full and on the waning side.

Yesterday from 5:30 PM until we were out of the water (around 7:30 PM), my buddy and I fished the most intense caddis hatch that I have experienced in a long time. Caddis were popping like crazy, and fish filled their bellies. We lost track of how many grabs that we had. When the moon was completely out, and we were out of the water, the popping of fish surfacing was happening very frequently.

As for how the moon phases effect fishing in general, everything has been inconsistent.

Dennis

swirlchaser

Reaction score
I think that it makes a big difference in places where there's a lot of moving water like a channel between an island and the mainland or a rip at the mouth of a bay or saltpond.
Stronger tides, faster water, more chaos
The larger difference in tides on a beach or at a point helps to concentrate bait on the ebb and will let the gamefish explore territory that they couldn't normally reach on the flood.
I'm not sure that makes as much of a difference as the fast water but it all depends on the specific location
It's pretty safe to say that it produces all out chaos in the surf but I always seem to be in the wrong place. Maybe I should use my normal process for picking a fishing spot and then do the exact opposite.

theboz

Reaction score
As far as the surf always did well the three days prior to the full moon. The only thing that ever was bad was when phosphorecence was in the water during the full and the period leading up to it. That green **** would light every fly up like a Christmas tree. And as far as my best fishing the new moon has it hands down!
As for freshwater fishing nights on the full in the lakes was slow at best , in the rivers no change.
Montauk this weekend I'll let you know how the moon fared. I'm pumped!

swirlchaser

Reaction score
As far as the surf always did well the three days prior to the full moon. The only thing that ever was bad was when phosphorecence was in the water during the full and the period leading up to it. That green **** would light every fly up like a Christmas tree. And as far as my best fishing the new moon has it hands down!
As for freshwater fishing nights on the full in the lakes was slow at best , in the rivers no change.
I don't think the moon's going to matter to you. From the reports im getting you just can't miss out there right now. The fish are everywhere! Have a good time.

noreaster

Reaction score
The runs of sea trout correlate with moon phases here in the Maritimes. Especially on PEI where I am. That is at least when water levels are normal. In drought times it may go more on rainfall near or around full moon phases.

The tides and estuaries are higher during full moon phases and facilitate a safer arrival into upper fresh water.

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Here you go buddy, fresh from Montauk. This was taken yesterday and sent to me as a form of torture...

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I've found pretty much as everyone else here; when fishing tidal water moons mean a lot but when fishing 100 miles inland not so much at all. I tried to apply the lunar tables a few years ago. While fishing one late afternoon near the cabin I hooked up with 8 different kings during a 45 - 50 minute slot 5:45 - 6:30 PM or so. I consulted the lunar guide to fish and game activity that night and they said that the next afternoon at 3:30 PM was gonna be the time. I made special effort to be on station by 2:45 and fished through the time slot. Nothing, nada, saw a few swimming around but not a touch on the fly. This fishing was done about 110 miles from the tide water. Interestingly enough as I recall the lunar tables did not say that I should have had 8 hook ups at 6:00 the day before so............ :confused:

I agree with Dan in that I did a lot of mooning 40 years ago but none that I recall in the past 20 :shades:

wjc

Reaction score
Like Rip, I pay more attention to the tidal current flow and the times it changes than the moon for inshore fishing. When night fishing, I have never done well with a bright moon out.

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Like Rip, I pay more attention to the tidal current flow and the times it changes than the moon for inshore fishing. When night fishing, I have never done well with a bright moon out.
I think that's what kills it for me as well. Just looked outside and saw a few clouds. I'm leaving work at 8 and heading straight to the beach :D

chuck s

Reaction score
Different fish different scenarios. First let me give my take on the moon phases in general and from that perspective there's a lot going on as now we are talking tides and much more. I think that most all salt water fish and some fresh fall into the many creatures attuned to the moon's phases. From the Tarpon and how the Palalo worms tune their emergence to both the tide and the moon to Redfish following the shrimp run which follows both he tide and the moon we see many examples of how this works.

Another example is more fish specific. Walleye and Saugar, and Crappie to a much lesser extent adn then on the salt side the Snook are famous for their luminous eyes, an adaptation that allows them superb night vision. They work and feed in total darkness but when that moon's out it can trigger a feeding . While other fish such as Flatheads use the dark moon phases to target nearly stationary Bluegills and other smaller fish that remain suspended during these periods.

In short figure out how the moon affects the area and time you are fishing and more importantly the fish you are targeting and you'll score big. :wiggle:

floorabove

Reaction score
Here you go buddy, fresh from Montauk. This was taken yesterday and sent to me as a form of torture...
That picture is killing me. I can not go right now or for that matter probably at all this year. Wife is ready to give birth any day to my third daughter, and sure she would kill me if I took that trip right now.

theboz

Reaction score
That picture is killing me. I can not go right now or for that matter probably at all this year. Wife is ready to give birth any day to my third daughter, and sure she would kill me if I took that trip right now.
I feel your pain. I'm going Friday night and I'm chomping at the bit thanks to Swirl posting this. Quick story to relate to your situation. 24 years ago my wife was in her 9th month with my 3rd daughter . I was in a local bluefish contest that ran on a Friday and Saturday. Got approval to go from the wife as long as I carried a beeper with me( not to many cells back then). Met my friend Friday night for an all nighter at the boat ramp and proceeded to fall on the ramp in the water and destroy the beeper . Of course I went out anyway .
Well on our first run out to the sound the motor broke down and we were stuck and had to wait for someone to come by for a tow . And then it started raining (all night) . Come morning we hadn't caught a fish and finally got an extremely slow tow from a bay constable . On the way in i was pretty worried but still made some casts and managed a 5 lb blue which I threw back in disgust.
Luckily got home and nothing had happened yet . That night she went in to labor and while taking her to the hospital was listening to the radio and they announced the winner of the bluefish contest . A 3 lb 4oz fish! So I threw a $2000 dollar winning fish back , had to pay the beeper company a $100 + but at least I was there when my beautiful little girl was born!

brookfieldangler

Reaction score
I don't pay very much attention to it all. If I started worrying about things like the best time to fish in relationship to the lunar tables, then I would be missing the entire point of fishing.

The only thing I ever take note of in terms of the moon is, "Yay. The moon is really bright so I can see a lot better tonight"