Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: New Saltwater setup

1. Default New Saltwater setup

I've fly fished for trout for a long time, but recently moved down to the low country in SC. My pop bout me the "saltwater" Orvis streamlined outfit (8wt). as a little gift b/c my 4 and 5 weight rods wouldn't do the trick.

Work is going well, and I'm looking at upgrading my outfit. I'm looking at getting a 9 wt, and I'm wondering if its better to spend more on the Rod (scott, hardy, sage) and a mid-range priced reel, or cheaper on the rod (st croix) and more on a reel. I'm guessing its better to go w/ a topline rod and mid-line reel. I know its a big purchase, but I can't get my mind off a Hardy 9wt Proaxis and a good Nautlius reel.

Looking forward to posting more!

Default Re: New Saltwater setup

Don't skimp on the reel. Get a good sealed drag system that will take a beating. The rod is a personal thing on what works for you. I like the 9wt TFO BVK does what I need.
    Also depends on what your targeting. Smaller inshore species can be handled with the same outfit you use in freshwater as long as you maintain it. Start getting into the speedsters and you'll be glad you bought a quality reel!
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

Get a nice rod and a lamson konic or allen alpha2

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marshlanddawg View Post
    Work is going well, and I'm looking at upgrading my outfit. I'm looking at getting a 9 wt, and I'm wondering if its better to spend more on the Rod (scott, hardy, sage) and a mid-range priced reel, or cheaper on the rod (st croix) and more on a reel. I'm guessing its better to go w/ a topline rod and mid-line reel. I know its a big purchase, but I can't get my mind off a Hardy 9wt Proaxis and a good Nautlius reel.
    First of all, buy what you can afford.

With that out of the way, when it comes to saltwater, get the best quality gear that is available. Rods need to deliver a variable amounts of payloads in variable conditions. Reels need to be able to handle fast running fish on a daily basis. Some of the "oversized" trout reels will hold the capacity, but I would worry about the long term durability.

If you can afford a Hardy ProAxis and a Nautilus CCF or NV, buy the rig.

Dennis

I agree with theboz.....good reel would be my primary concern. IMHO there are several moderately priced rods out there that will do a commendable job. Many of the moderately priced reels will do OK bit will not handle the rigors of the salt. Take a look at the Colton reels on ebay. I have heard some good things about them. The Sea Level Tempest is also a great reel though a little heavy.