Cocodrie Reds

mrfzx

Reaction score
As you may remember from an earlier post, my father-in-law and I went to cocodrie Louisiana in June fly fishing for Redfish. We had some absolutely awesome fishing catching Reds up to 14 pounds. That was our second trip with that Guide (Blaine Townsend), and again he kept telling us that the big 'uns, the "bulls" were there in October/November. That is out of the question for me as I am a high school teacher. Enter my brother-in-law. he works for the National Forestry service, and CAN get off.

So down they go for a week. Days one and two were good but theyw ere limited on where they could fish due to wicked winds. Today, the winds laid down a bit, and.....well you be the judge. Its a bit Gator or Gar battered, but I am still soooooo jealous!

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

Oh yeah, and on a TFO TiCrX 8wt.

mrfzx

Reaction score
I don't know the weight.....but has to be at least in the 25lb range?? I'll find out when I pick them up at the airport on Saturday.

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

I changed my avatar....

kwb

Traveler of Both Time and Space
Reaction score
That is a Black Drum, not a Redfish boys, don't fight anything like the Red Drum "Redfish" do...

That 14 pound Red you caught in June, would fight twice as hard as that 25-30 pound Black Drum would to give you some perspective...

Right now, they should be able to find some Redfish in the 20+ pound range down there "and they likely will", those are the fun ones, especially in the warmer water temps of the early "Bull Red" season...

Black Drum aren't worthless by any means, but they don't fight anything like you would expect...

Last edited:

mrfzx

Reaction score
That is a Black Drum, not a Redfish boys, don't fight anything like the Red Drum "Redfish" do...

That 14 pound Red you caught in June, would fight twice as hard as that 25-30 pound Black Drum would to give you some perspective...

Right now, they should be able to find some Redfish in the 20+ pound range down there "and they likely will", those are the fun ones, especially in the warmer water temps of the early "Bull Red" season...

Black Drum aren't worthless by any means, but they don't fight anything like you would expect...
I have an email in to the guys asking just that......after staring longingly at the pic, it didn't look quite right. No spot, and the head/shoulders seem too "high".....not torpedo like at all. I think black drum "eat" pretty well in the smaller sizes.

kwb

Traveler of Both Time and Space
Reaction score
I have an email in to the guys asking just that......after staring longingly at the pic, it didn't look quite right. No spot, and the head/shoulders seem too "high".....not torpedo like at all. I think black drum "eat" pretty well in the smaller sizes.
I would bet my life "which I am quite fond of" that is a Black Drum :)

That is a Black Drum

That is a Red Drum or "Redfish"...

Honestly, as much time as I spend down there, I have never ate Black Drum, too many shrimp, crab and oysters to eat to mess with Drum LOL