Wire shock tippet

bob longo

Reaction score
I recently purchased Mirage tarpon leader from Orvis after loosing some tarpon.
It has a heavy mono leader with a wire tip. How do I rig the hook to this?
Thanks in advance.

williamhj

Reaction score
Sorry no one has gotten back to you. I've never used them so can't say. I ran around Orvis' website a bit and tried doing a yahoo search to no avail. I'd email Orvis customer service and ask. They've been very helpful when I've contacted them in the past.

mrfzx

Reaction score
We've used wire shock tippets for 'Cuda. We like red starnded wire the best, and always use crimp-sleeves for our "knot". Basically we run the wire through the crimp sleev, then through the eye, and then back through the crimp sleeve. mash it down good, then i like to wrap the tagg around the mainline 5 or 6 times like the start of a cynch knot. then I fix the wraps in place with either epoxy or thick zap-a-gap, just in case the wire slips in the sleeve. Don't try and crimp with regular pliers, get a pair made for it.

We keep several flies rigged with about 15-18inches of wire attached to the fly, and a barrel swvel on the other end for the leader connection. If we run out of rigged flies...went though 6 one day, then I rig on the spot and use two(2) crimp sleeves in line....yes, I'm paranoid....and those big 'ol half chicken flies are expensive!

ditz

Reaction score
There was a discussion the other day on another forum. It seems that bite tippets for tarpon are made from like 80# floro. now and nobody is using mono any more. Just a thought.

bob longo

Reaction score
There was a discussion the other day on another forum. It seems that bite tippets for tarpon are made from like 80# floro. now and nobody is using mono any more. Just a thought.
I'm sorry to you you guys. I'm new to the sport and assumed it was wire but the tippet is 80# floro. It's the Orvis product in the "p" shaped package. It is very stiff. Question is still the same, how to tie fly to tippet?

Also, I can see the tarpon in the lake I fish. They look to be 3-5 feet long!! But they are a bit out of reach of my cast. Can I walk into the lake to cast out to them or will that surely spook them?

I want to catch one so bad I'm almost to point of swimming after them and wrestling them to shore!!

mrfzx

Reaction score
We only use wire for toothy critters. tarpon don't have teeth, just really rough abrasive jaws. We have actually moved up to 100 and 120 pound mono....we found the fluorocarbon to be really hard to knot.

lightline

Reaction score
I use a three turn uni-knot in mono and floro over 50 lb, including 80 lb. I've never had it slip on a tarpon or anything else. Tie it, spit on it, and cinch it tight by pulling on the tag end with pliers while securing the hook/fly around some kind of solid ring. I use a ring on the gunnel of the boat. You can cinch it tight, or leave it as a small loop knot. Just slip the hook over the ring, apply light pressure to the main line, and pull the tag end tight. I agree with the previous post that the mono. is easier to knot. That's what I use!

bob longo

Reaction score
I use a three turn uni-knot in mono and floro over 50 lb, including 80 lb. I've never had it slip on a tarpon or anything else. Tie it, spit on it, and cinch it tight by pulling on the tag end with pliers while securing the hook/fly around some kind of solid ring. I use a ring on the gunnel of the boat. You can cinch it tight, or leave it as a small loop knot. Just slip the hook over the ring, apply light pressure to the main line, and pull the tag end tight. I agree with the previous post that the mono. is easier to knot. That's what I use!
Well I went at it again yesterday. I couldn't get a good knot on the 80# mono, so I cut it off and tied the braided part using an Orvis knot. I know this worked, because I GOT MY FIRST HIT!!! A +- 25# tarpon took my green toad fly and jumped 3-4 times in about 25 seconds, then spit the hook as my line was getting caught up in the weedy bottom. But at least I know my knots held!

Now I gotta figure out what the heck I'm gonna do if I actually land one of these monsters. Where do you grab em? By the mouth. Do I need gloves?

I have a lot of experience deep sea fishing with heavy tackle and caught Marlin, Dorado, etc.. but tarpon on light tackle is a completely different animal. What a rush!

lightline

Reaction score
Lean over the side of the boat (check for sharks in the area if appropriate!), grab 'em by the lower jaw, pop the hook out, and send 'em on their way. I don't use gloves unless I'm catching a lot, or think I will, and that rarely happens. A glove will help reduce abrasion on your hand from their sandpaper mouths though.