Linecurve Stripping Basket

650flyguy

Reaction score
Does any one have any experience with a Linecurve Stripping Basket?

Linekurv.dk

I have experimenting with a number of homemade and manufactured baskets and I am still in search for the perfect one. I have been using a foam Mangrove which is I like - packable, light, large holes in the bottom, rod holder works well & keep line properly coiled. My only problem is when a nice sized Pacific Wave smashes it just right the bottom pops out.

I was thinking a formed plastic basket may be the ticket.
Also thought it was cool in was made in DK where I have family ties.

Appreciate any information.

fichy

Reaction score
Looks very similar in design to the Orvis basket. I've used mine for 5-6 years with great success on the east and west US coasts. The Orvis model is 80.00 , I believe. I'm glad I bought mine at less than half that. I use mine to protect reels and fly boxes in transit, and flip it over and sit on it to wait for favorable tides.

Charlie

Reactions: Ard

fichy

Reaction score
Thanks, Dan. That's a really beautiful, impressive smallie. One of my favorite fish. I didn't see an intro section so I dove in without really looking. I'm lucky, the water's fine!

Charlie

650flyguy

Reaction score
Looks very similar in design to the Orvis basket. I've used mine for 5-6 years with great success on the east and west US coasts.

Charlie
Do you have any problems filling up with water?

One review I read said the Linecurve was smaller than the Orvis Basket. I was unable to find the exact size. These are selling for around $50.

Last edited:

fichy

Reaction score
If I'm going to get hit with surf and fill the basket, I loosen the waist belt and add one over the shoulder to hold it up. I tilt the basket to empty water. It hasn't been a problem. I don't drill drain holes, as I found it works better if I let it float up if I wade deep. I also like to keep some water in it, as it helps the line shoot. I hope someone can give you a real review of the product you asked about, I'm sorry to semi-hijack your thread.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
If I'm going to get hit with surf and fill the basket, I loosen the waist belt and add one over the shoulder to hold it up. I tilt the basket to empty water. It hasn't been a problem. I don't drill drain holes, as I found it works better if I let it float up if I wade deep. I also like to keep some water in it, as it helps the line shoot. I hope someone can give you a real review of the product you asked about, I'm sorry to semi-hijack your thread.
No holes in my basket either.
I once had the sandbar I was standing on in heavy current wash away right from under my feet.
I used my basket as a float to "swim' back to shore. ;)

I fish regularly in the surf and when faced with an especially large wave, I tip my basket up to deflect it. When you get hit by the surf in the crotch area enough times you'll appreciate the extra protection :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 AM ----------

My basket

fichy

Reaction score
RT, I've thought of the tiny boat aspect..... :smile: I have towed hard baskets carrying my chest pack and rod, while I held my waders up as high as I could when I stayed out on the bars too far into the incoming. There's some flats I fish (especially Joppa on the mouth of the Merrimack) where it's difficult to get back in, as the troughs are deeper towards shore and fill in behind you. That one more cast thing gets me every time.

randyflycaster

Reaction score
The basket looks very good, also very similiar to the L.L. Bean basket, so my only question is how wide is it? If it's too wide, like the Bean basket, you'll hit your hand when you're executing your downward haul.

When it comes to stripping basket I think it pays to buy one like the Orvis basket. If you're going to build your own and want to buy cones go here:
Fly Fishing Gear - Burleson Sporting Co.

Randy

mtnwkr

Reaction score
90% of the guys around here use Linekurv baskets, the rest use home made options. They work great, some drill holes, some don't. I always have. Head to a popular beach when the salmon are running and it's a line of guys all with the same green basket. These are identical to the old LL Bean baskets that were so coveted but no longer made.

650flyguy

Reaction score
90% of the guys around here use Linekurv baskets, the rest use home made options. They work great, some drill holes, some don't. I always have. Head to a popular beach when the salmon are running and it's a line of guys all with the same green basket. These are identical to the old LL Bean baskets that were so coveted but no longer made.

Appreciate they feedback.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Does any one have any experience with a Linecurve Stripping Basket?

Linekurv.dk

I have experimenting with a number of homemade and manufactured baskets and I am still in search for the perfect one. I have been using a foam Mangrove which is I like - packable, light, large holes in the bottom, rod holder works well & keep line properly coiled. My only problem is when a nice sized Pacific Wave smashes it just right the bottom pops out.

I was thinking a formed plastic basket may be the ticket.
Also thought it was cool in was made in DK where I have family ties.

Appreciate any information.
I do not, but........................

While staying in a guides cabin at a lodge a week ago I noticed something. The cabin is not the Ritz and there were some items cluttering the corners. One of the items that drew my eye was the curved tool caddy that comes with some Shop Vac and other vacuum cleaners of similar design.

The tool caddy was just like the basket in the picture and could easily be transformed into a stripping basket with a good form fitting hip contour thing going on.

650flyguy

Reaction score
I do not, but........................

While staying in a guides cabin at a lodge a week ago I noticed something. The cabin is not the Ritz and there were some items cluttering the corners. One of the items that drew my eye was the curved tool caddy that comes with some Shop Vac and other vacuum cleaners of similar design.

The tool caddy was just like the basket in the picture and could easily be transformed into a stripping basket with a good form fitting hip contour thing going on.
Appreciate the tip. Now I have my eyes open for a shop vac tool caddy!

krikau27

Reaction score
I live in Denmark and has been fishing for seatrout 4 years now. I have no experience with linekurv.dk but I use a Lawson linebasket.
To say the truth I don't like line baskets, they take too much space for my line hand to move freely (I like to take long strips) but because the current will take the line if I don't use it, I have to use it. I don't want to stand with 35 loose coils in my hand or mouth, so it's one of theese things you don't like, but accept it :)
Orvis line basket is ridiculous priced. 600 danish kroner. That's over 100$ My Lawson is 299 kroner. Half the price. Is it better? Don't know. Is it smaller? Don't know. But linekurv.dk is the same price as my Lawson. :)

Kim

650flyguy

Reaction score
I live in Denmark and has been fishing for seatrout 4 years now. I have no experience with linekurv.dk but I use a Lawson linebasket.
To say the truth I don't like line baskets, they take too much space for my line hand to move freely (I like to take long strips) but because the current will take the line if I don't use it, I have to use it. I don't want to stand with 35 loose coils in my hand or mouth, so it's one of theese things you don't like, but accept it :)
Orvis line basket is ridiculous priced. 600 danish kroner. That's over 100$ My Lawson is 299 kroner. Half the price. Is it better? Don't know. Is it smaller? Don't know. But linekurv.dk is the same price as my Lawson. :)

Kim
When I returned to the States I checked out the Linecurv web site. There were dealers listed from a number of countries but no shops in Denmark were listed. I thought it was odd. They will ship for a very reasonable price.

At this time, I am going with the basket made from a step stool being discussed in the stripping basket thread.

JoJer

Reaction score
Mine was made from a plastic basket I bought in a 5&10 while enroute to fish. I bought a bungee cord for a belt. The bungee worked good-the basket stayed put but was easy to slide around my middle to get it out of the way- which was good since I had to constantly move it while climbing around on the jetty. The solid bottom made the addition of zip-tie "fingers" very easy, I wish I could see thru it better.