Need some Redfish help guys.

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I just booked a Redfish trip in Louisiana for the beginning of Nov. I'm told this is the time for "big fish". Both of my buddies fish spinning tackle so they can't offer me any advise. We will be fishing the Lafitte area, primarily Little Lake. What I need to know from you guys is what wt rods to bring and what fly patterns I should start working.
Thanks guys

Marco

littledavid123

Reaction score
Might consider calling the Anglers Edge fly shop in Houston, very knowledgeable folks for fly fishing the gulf. Tell them where you're fishing and what for and they will sell you one each of their recommendations. This will give you a pattern to reproduce. 713-993-9981

Dave

kwb

Traveler of Both Time and Space
Reaction score
9 weights...

20 pound fluoro leads...

1/0 Clousers and 1/0 Clouser Half n Halfs in

Chart/White

Pink/White

Black

I just buy them from Clouser's online shop, don't even bother tying them myself...

That's all you need...

Very very rarely will you need to use anything but the chart/white half n half, my go to fly down there 90% of the time...

Redfish aren't very picky, all about putting the fly in the right spot and working it properly...

Water is DIRTY there, more about you seeing the fly than anything...

ditz

Reaction score
Contact this fella. He lives there and is a very good fly tier.

https://plus.google.com/photos/1160...src=pwrd1#photos/116026924269293579383/albums

If this won't work for you I will try something else.

He also makes a great fly spoon for reds. I believe that he has a sbs on doing the spoon. If you have trouble finding it I think I have it save somewhere.

Sounds like a great trip. Wished I was going. Good luck.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Marco: I'd definitely take Kory's advice on fishing for Redfish, but I thought you would get a chuckle at the prices of flies on this page:
Redfish Flies - Flies - Fly Supplies

Awhile back we had a thread that I think was titled "To Tie or Not to Tie", I think those prices make it pretty obvious which direction to go.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Ed Mitchell has run away from home here in CT to live in FLA.
... I still read his blog though :D

He posted this kwan style flats fly recently that I thought looked very cool.

kwb

Reaction score
Keep in mind, Redfish in Florida are nothing like Redfish in Louisiana...

3' of visibility is crystal clear water for Louisiana standards...

You can throw natural looking stuff, but it is harder for you to see and the fish do not care. If they get finicky, the black Clouser Half n Half will do the trick...

Not saying the natural stuff will not work, it just isn't necessary...

Spent a lot of time in the marsh down there, it's a beautiful place!

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Keep in mind, Redfish in Florida are nothing like Redfish in Louisiana...

3' of visibility is crystal clear water for Louisiana standards...

You can throw natural looking stuff, but it is harder for you to see and the fish do not care...
Thanks Kory, that's why I was asking. I see these spin guys dragging lures behind huge orange floats and it doesn't spook the fish at all. So Clousers is all I need huh? Could it be this easy? I have boxes of Clousers and Half n Halfs already tied. Floating line is all I need? Maybe I'll build another 9wt, I have to feel like there's some sort of prep involved for this trip :D

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

Marco: I'd definitely take Kory's advice on fishing for Redfish, but I thought you would get a chuckle at the prices of flies on this page:
Redfish Flies - Flies - Fly Supplies

Awhile back we had a thread that I think was titled "To Tie or Not to Tie", I think those prices make it pretty obvious which direction to go.
amazing isn't it Larry? The price of saltwater flies is the reason I started tying in the first place. I won't bother tying a WD40 when I can buy it for $.60 but a $5 Clouser???? Don't think so...

kwb

Reaction score
Thanks Kory, that's why I was asking. I see these spin guys dragging lures behind huge orange floats and it doesn't spook the fish at all. So Clousers is all I need huh? Could it be this easy? I have boxes of Clousers and Half n Halfs already tied. Floating line is all I need? Maybe I'll build another 9wt, I have to feel like there's some sort of prep involved for this trip :D

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

amazing isn't it Larry? The price of saltwater flies is the reason I started tying in the first place. I won't bother tying a WD40 when I can buy it for $.60 but a $5 Clouser???? Don't think so...
If you want to spice it up, some bright Dahlberg Divers will produce at times...

I have spent a lot of time down there messing around with different patterns and the 1/0 Clouser Half n Half in Chart/White if presented right will get eaten by 99% of fish you will throw it at. From 4 pounds to 40 pounds, doesn't matter they eat that fly well...

I would suggest a Redfish taper line "Cortland, Rio and SA are all fine really", long casts down there are 30' so you need a line that loads the rod well without much line out. A lot of your casts will be 15' - 20' little pot shots due to the fact you don't see the fish until they are close more often than not...

Redfish in Louisiana are all about being able to cast very quickly and pretty accurately in close. Especially when you are chasing the big Bull Reds cuz they sit in the slightly deeper water and are much more difficult to spot so you tend to not see them until they are very close to you. Did I mention the water is dirty??? LOL

Drop it in front of their face about a foot or two in front of them in say a cone shaped zone with the tip of the cone being at their snout, let the fly drop almost to the bottom and then pump it slowly away from them, they will eat. Try not to drop it directly to the side of their eyes or close behind their eyes or even along their sides, it spooks them, if you cast behind them try and be at least at their tail and they will often spin around and eat it...

kwb

Reaction score
I'm also reading that Trout will be an option while we're down there. I'm guessing Sea Trout? Similar to our Weak fish up here? 6wt and San Juan Worms sound about right?
I can't tell you anything about Trout, I know they have been "in" when I have been down there many times, but I never had any interest in fishing for them nor have I ever heard of anyone I know really fly fishing for them.

My entire reason for being there when I go is big fish on the fly :)

swirlchaser

Reaction score
I can't tell you anything about Trout, I know they have been "in" when I have been down there many times, but I never had any interest in fishing for them nor have I ever heard of anyone I know really fly fishing for them.

My entire reason for being there when I go is big fish on the fly :)
Thanks for the info on the Reds Kory, I may call an you again later on in the year if you don't mind. Now I'm going to have to do a little more research on the Sea Trout situation down there.

Marco

kwb

Reaction score
No worries Marco, just shoot me a PM or whatever if you have any other questions...

theboz

Reaction score
Seatrout anything shrimpy. Small white and brown with a little flash and your in! Sometimes when their schooling poppers on top. Same stuff you catch weaks on will work . Fla guide I know spends a month in that area (little lake) waiting for a reply will let you know.

---------- Post added at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

Kwb is dead on with the chartreuse and white Clousers . Every pic I see on this guys fb page is c&w Clousers with pink heads still attached to bruiser Reds!

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Contact this fella. He lives there and is a very good fly tier.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11602...3579383/albums

If this won't work for you I will try something else.

He also makes a great fly spoon for reds. I believe that he has a sbs on doing the spoon. If you have trouble finding it I think I have it save somewhere.

Sounds like a great trip. Wished I was going. Good luck.
I know Kirk as well. Great guy & very knowledgeable tier! He ties a bendback style fly with a rattle in the belly, called the Rattle Rouser. Clousers are great, but that rattle really helps sometimes when the water clarity is down. Might also be something to consider. :smile:

kwb

Reaction score
If you use rattles, try and incorporate them into a fly made with materials which are not very buoyant, they add bulk and buoyancy to the fly, thus making you use larger lead eyes to get a proper sink rate. That creates a larger plop and is more likely to spook the fish if your cast is off target some, you don't need a delicate presentation by any means, but don't want a huge plop either.

That was my experience with them and I found tying my flies sparser than usual was the only way I liked having a rattle in my fly. Not sure if it just boosts confidence or if it actually helps the fish find the fly, but some people swear by them!

Here is a pattern my buddy came up with this Fall, they worked really well and are super easy/cheap to tie...

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Kory, those are good looking flies! I'm sure that estaz body helps with reducing that plop. I've yet to catch a Redfish on a fly, don't get to chase them too often. They got up into the Chesapeake & tribs this past year, a lot of puppies but I never got the opportunity. Perhaps someday!

I've used rattles in flies or many years for tidal bass, Flounders & Striped Bass and the waters I fish are quite shallow, and often stained. As you stated, if the clarity is 3', it's real good. I've caught Seatrout in similar waters, as well as Black Drum. I feel the rattles help sometimes.

Good info on the buoyancy. Many of the rattle flies I tie are tied with bucktail or other hair. I like fox & coyote tail hair, which is not buoyant. Also use some Polar fiber. Some are tied much more sparse than others, and the weighting is varied, which is not a bad idea anyway. Also, I rarely use glass rattles any more, have come to prefer the big plastic rattles, as they sound louder to me. I stick them in mylar tubing and/or EZ body type materials as a body & always coat them with epoxy. IMO, when I've wrapped soft materials around a rattle it muffles the sound. Epoxy seems to enhance the sound.

I'm not sure what I've added here is any help to Marco, but this is all interesting to me too. I've got a trip planned this year to the SC coast. Perhaps this time I'll find a Redfish! :D

mrfzx

Reaction score
The advice on the Clousers is dead on. Our guide in Cocodrie uses Clousers almost exclusively after September. One word of advice be ready for some dispurted weather.....i.e. wind. We REALLY like the SA Titan Taper or Rio Outbound Short Tropical lines for casting in heavy winds. Both load up the rods really quickly. Good luck, by the way Black Drum can be found then too....they can get pretty big....40 to 50 piounds is not uncommon.

kwb

Reaction score
To be honest, never witnessed much wind down there in November and December, January is when the wind starts. If you got a good guide, he will position the boat so the wind can be used to your advantage. So even a 10-15 MPH wind isn't really noticed.

Titan Taper would be a great choice in line, I never liked the running lines on Outbound lines, tangle too easily, but they definitely have a loyal following.

Some days can be downright CALM

But most days just are a little breezy like so:

I actually turned down a guiding job down there very recently, which as a Yankee to be asked to come down and guide there for my buddy Lance's lodge was an honor. Unfortunately, Family comes first and my Father needs my help at the Family business here, not all bad though, I actually am able to fish for fun more by not guiding. Plus, I have a free place to stay anytime I want to go down there anyway :)

I have been all over this country and there is simply something about the Salt Marsh that is truly special. It is very sad it is being lost to erosion as it is, all for the greater good of human's greed for the almighty dollar...

Black Drum get big, but fight like a wet mattress, after you land one, you likely will not have any desire to cast to another one. Think this one was like 38 pounds or something. Even though they don't fight like a Red Drum, still very cool to catch such big fish though!

If you are lucky, you can get what is called a "C00N Ass Slam" meaning you land a Red Drum, Black Drum and Sheepshead all in the same day.

Sheepshead can be tough to get to take a fly though, they definitely look pretty funky...

Also, don't be surprised if the fish don't fight right away when you set the hook, most of the stuff they eat pokes their mouth so you setting the hook will not really be anything out of the norm for them, however, once they begin to feel the pressure, they will run!

As you can see they have a very tough looking mouth:

All this talk about fishing down there has me jonesing! Sorry for my rambling on and on! Sitting here looking out my office window at a blizzard and sub zero temps...

Last edited:

wjc

Reaction score
Ed Mitchell has run away from home here in CT to live in FLA.
Wow, that's quite a switch Rip. I still have one of his suits and a couple of his shirts - but flies now?

Have a great trip Swirl. I don't fish much for reds in the Keys and know nothing about Louisiana, but the ones down here will either take anything you throw or nothing you throw. There is no in-between.