Turks and Caicos help?

thewalker1013

Reaction score
We are planning a family trip in June to Turks and Caicos, and was curious if anyone had some experience there. Recs on a good guide? I've started looking online, but would love to hear from some fishermen here.

lisprivateer

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat Walker. Going 3rd week of April. I booked a trip with Capt. Darin Bain. Planning on doing several days of DYI as well. Can anyone point us in the right direction?

thewalker1013

Reaction score
I saw Bain's page, looks like you're sure to have a great time... My trip has been cancelled unfortunately, but I'm keeping it on my radar for the future!

Everything's e read says that it's a great place for DIY bone fishing, that would be sweeeeet

bowhuntermac

Reaction score
I will be there April 20th - 27th. Chasing bones wiith Darin a couple days, then soloing it some as well. Trying to get the gear, etc. all figured out as I type this...thus me seeing this thread!

lisprivateer

Reaction score
Bowhunter, I'll be there the same week. Fishing with Darin on the 22nd in the AM. Have you fished solo there before? I did a bunch of research and found a few spots that are accessible. Bonefish Point on the west end of the island seems to be good. This will be the first time trying for bones by myself. Hoping after fishing with Darin he will put me on to some local spots and gear. Hopefully a fat tip will get some extra info outta him :).

bowhuntermac

Reaction score
I have not been with him before. This is my forst trip down, but have been doing some reading on the area. Are you staying at Harbour Club Villas?
I am booked for the 21st (all he had was an afternoon, which sucked) and the 24th (morning). Want to get a feel for it then work in a bunch of DIY fishing in between dives with the lady friend.

lisprivateer

Reaction score
Staying at Sands at Grace Bay with the wife. My thought was to get a trip with him right away figuring he'd be able to give me some pointers and probably see more fish from the boat. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't intimidated. I've got alot of experience in the NE with Striped Bass but accuracy isn't as important. I have a feeling I'll be humbled real quick, but can't wait for the challenge. The DYI stuff will follow. I've researched on Flatswalker for locations then GoogleEarthed those locations. I've read that Harbor Club villas has good fishing right there. That's convenient.

bowhuntermac

Reaction score
We will have to compare notes on our research before the trip and grab a beer and maybe try and get some fishing in whilst down there.

I'll shoot ya my contact info. via PM.

lisprivateer

Reaction score
Just wanted to follow up on my trip. After a last minute change of schedule (we had to push back our trip to this week) the fishing was fantastic. I was lucky enough to snag one of Darin's last bookings of the week last minute. I fished the afternoon and landed 3 bones. Largest 6lbs. I blew several others on errant casts but all in all a great trip with a true pro. I highly recommend Capt. Darin Bain if you ever travel to providenciales. I told him my skill level and we went from there. He offered advice when asked and was on the fish within a 10 minute boat ride. I DIY'ed 2 mornings at Flamingo Lake in front of Harbor Club Villas to no success. Both times on the flood and only saw 4 fish and only made one presentation. Maybe the ebb would have had better results. A $12 cab fare each direction and is a 15 min ride from most resorts at a grace bay. Disappointed yes, but still great experience. Really looking forward to another trip with Darin next year. Tight lines all

rmh2282

Reaction score
If flamingo was a bust, was there any other DIY spots you'd suggest checking out?

I'm going the in the middle of August and the thought of giving someone a weeks worth of wages for a day of fishing blows my mind.

I also wanted to ask about foot wear... What would you recommend wearing for fishing the flats down there? Would some cheapo water shoes do the trick?

lisprivateer

Reaction score
I would try Flamingo again, but on my next trip I will be heading down to Taylor and Sapodilla Bays. Large flats, just further away. When I waded flamingo I had water shoes and was hurting after a few hours. Mud/sand with alot of shell. The bootie style that zip up would be your best bet. Ryan.