Which prescription bi-focal polarized sun-glasses?

flycaster99

Reaction score
I'm using a pair of prescription Costa Del Mar currently that had served me very well for the last few years. I can still spot a Bonefish on the flats at 150ft, but I guess I'm finally "mature" enough such that I can't see well enough to tie a fly that's 12inch from my face... :( Can someone recommend an on-line retailer that will do prescription bi-focal polarized sun-glasses at a reasonable price? Thanks in advance.

shotgunfly

Reaction score
I went with OAKLEYS. I had a pair of smiths (actually 2-3 pairs) over the last 10-13 years. I kept losing the replaceable lenses and actually had the frame crack on me after a -10c night camping.

I felt the glass in the oakleys (prescription/polarized/tinted blue, their 'freshwater' color vs saltwater) was way better. But I've only worn smiths before, can't speak for the other brands.

But at the price they'd better be good.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Polaroid sunglasses are extremely expensive; and like killer pricie. If you've already got good prescription bi's consider a set of Cocoon over glasses/sun glasses. Cost forty bucks and really are a hell of a good product.

One of the things I really like about them (above and beyond the price) is the wide ear pieces next to your eyes. Really do a good job of shutting our side glare.

fae

dakotakid

Reaction score
Totally agree with Mr. Evans. Cocoons do a great job of shading out light not only on the side, but also above the eyeglasses. An added benefit, if your eyesight changes and you get new glasses, you don't have to buy new sunglasses. You can argue that they don't look as good as prescription sunglasses, but I'm not worried about fashion while fishing.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Totally agree with Mr. Evans. Cocoons do a great job of shading out light not only on the side, but also above the eyeglasses. An added benefit, if your eyesight changes and you get new glasses, you don't have to buy new sunglasses. You can argue that they don't look as good as prescription sunglasses, but I'm not worried about fashion while fishing.
Great Call DK; that hadn't occurred to me and you're dead on right. See me on the Rogue and the word 'fashion' would never cross your mind. Even my dog(s) are 'old.' (One now as Husky's past, a heart crusher, one month past his 13th BD.)

Couple of years back, and finally had to get new wading boots. Shine, Lord did those new Korkers shine.:rolleyes:

Another 'old fella' walks up and asks: "So .. you finally pulled your wallet out and got some thing that wasn't a rod or reel." Not a question, a statement.

:rolleyes:

pete a

Reaction score
I'm a fan of either the Coccoons or FitOvers. I travel a bunch and have left prescription sun glasses in rent cars, hotels, etc with none recovered at $200 a pop. Ouch.

Both have good lenses but do wear on the surface fairly quickly if carelessly cleaned but really protect your eyes while fishing. I have no issues with tying knots, tippets.

My sons call me "ole man" but at 57 doubtful any "hotties" are looking at me regardless of my eye wear.

Pete A.

lightline

Reaction score
Habervision. Get the amazing Drivewear lenses. They work in all light conditions. Polarized prescription bi-focals for me! I've worn Smith and Costas, and these are the best I've ever had. And the price is definitely as low as any quality glasses out there, and beat the big names hands down. PM me for more info if you'd like it. I'm a huge fan of Habervision, an on-line polarized glasses company in Golden, Colorado founded by Steve Haber, of Bolle' fame.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Flycaster is bonefishing. No over the glasses close-up aid will do. Adds to distortion and 4 surfaces to get salt spray on. No. Smith (Action) Optics or Costa del Mar in GLASS only. There is no more important piece of tackle for a sight fisher than top quality polarized glass only eye wear.

chuck s

Reaction score
I kept my Action Optics and have since bought another pair when th eyes went south a bit. I buy the stick on bifocals and the last pair was from Wally World for about $20. They work great!

bobbrown

Reaction score
Anybody ever tried those bifocals with the magnification at the top of the
Lens? Might help in walking...but can imagine I'd like them.
I use prescription for distance with a pair of croakies. I need to tie a knot I let the glasses hang and put on a pair of $19 readers.

flycaster99

Reaction score
Flycaster is bonefishing. No over the glasses close-up aid will do. Adds to distortion and 4 surfaces to get salt spray on. No. Smith (Action) Optics or Costa del Mar in GLASS only. There is no more important piece of tackle for a sight fisher than top quality polarized glass only eye wear.
Sweetandsalt is right. I've tried fit-overs but I got too much distortion as a result.

---------- Post added at 08:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 AM ----------

Thanks for all the feedback.

Those stick on bi-focal sounds interesting! Does it really work? And are they re-movable and replaceable such that removing them does not damage the prescription lens?

chuck s

Reaction score
They use a very thin layer of water to stick to the glasses. Works great and yes you can move them around from pair to pair. Optx 20/20 Stick-on Bifocals
I've bought them from Walgreens and Walmart and both were around $20 for a pair. The only downfall I've found is that one pair of my glasses have quite a curvature, or wrap around lens. Tried moving a pair from my my non-wrap around AOs to these Hobies and it didn't work as the lens' had become a bit stiff over the years. (tried that at about the ten year point) So I bit the bullet and just bought a new set and they worked fine.:cool:

flycaster99

Reaction score
They use a very thin layer of water to stick to the glasses. Works great and yes you can move them around from pair to pair. Optx 20/20 Stick-on Bifocals
I've bought them from Walgreens and Walmart and both were around $20 for a pair. The only downfall I've found is that one pair of my glasses have quite a curvature, or wrap around lens. Tried moving a pair from my my non-wrap around AOs to these Hobies and it didn't work as the lens' had become a bit stiff over the years. (tried that at about the ten year point) So I bit the bullet and just bought a new set and they worked fine.:cool:
Sounds good! I'll give it a shot. Thanks!