Moving from Chicago to Houston, Help!!!!

pkins44

Reaction score
Moving from Chicago to Houston, Rod and Reel Help!!!!

As the title states, I will be moving to Texas soon and need advice on gearing up for the salt. I have been fishing Carp and Smallies on an 8wt tfo finesse with a lamson konic and was informed it may be best to switch over to a better setup for the saltwater. I figured I could keep this setup as a backup or for the rivers and lakes in the area. I was hoping to target redfish, bones, snook, baby tarpon and if I'm dumb enough small sharks. I know one setup isn't going to work on all of those species but my budget will only allow me to get two nice setups (1200 or less a piece, and one at a time).

I was looking into an 8wt and a 10wt sage response rod paired with Nautilis NV reels to match. Good or Bad or even personal opinions, I am just looking for advice. I don't mind spending good money on quality products but I do demand a bulletproof setup as I tend to be clumsy and abusive to my gear. I like to fish in all weather and tend to keep my gear in the back of my jeep for any oppurtunity that arises.

I am also looking for advice on backing, lines, leader and tippets for these rods because I am a complete rookie fishing the salt. Thanks for the help in advance and Tight Lines. Gulf coast here I come!!!!:wiggle:

Last edited:

pete a

Reaction score
Howdy here in Houston, first thing is we fly fish all year long.

I'd start with the 8wt and wait on the 10wt. The fish most of us target are Redfish and Trout (spec's, spotted weakfish). Snook do exist but not common even where fairly plentiful. We get tarpon but that can really be based on weather conditions. Wind is always an issue here so bit faster rod, sparser flies and SW tapers rule the day.

If you want "bullet-proof" the TFO's warranty is the choice as they warehouse out of Dallas and replace/fix and problem for $25-30. We shipped then one on Monday and it was back by Thursday. Reels just need constant maintenance for our hyper-saline bay system. Buy a can of CorrosionX and carefully clean and wipe down after each day on the salt.

Join Texas Flyfishers as they are very helpful. Houston has a really great fly shops, IFly near Galleria is a great shop with no "soup Nazis" working there. FTU (Fishing Tackle Unlimited) has 2 good shops on west and south. Both understand saltwater flyfishing.

Joint Texas Flyfisher as they have lots of folks to fish with.

Pete A.

pkins44

Reaction score
Thanks Pete. Im pretty sure, because of my terrible title, people think I am asking for help moving couches and boxes. Fly fishing year round sounds pretty damn good to me. I try to fish year round here in IL, but I'm sure as most people know its a lot of casting and not much catching for the winter months. I am glad to hear I can start with one setup. I will probably outfit it a little better knowing I can get away with an 8wt setup and can hold off on the 10 and 12.

I'm going to have to check in on the texas fly fishers and get to know some of those guys and find out the new strategies for the salt. The only fly shops I have here are "white river fly shops" (bps) so limited knowledge and experience. Im not knocking those guys they have been very helpful, it would just be nice to get advice on things other than whats on sale at bps.

Thanks Pete for the advice and can't wait to go after the red fish and trout down there. Hopefully I'll see you out there soon.

ditz

Reaction score
Joining the FF club is a great idea and I don't think you will be sorry.

It gets quite warm in Houston and your fly line will probably suffer terribly being stored in you Jeep and I expect that you will regret that. I doubt it will be good for the rod either.

I think that your current outfit will work quite well for reds and trout and I would suggest you start with it and as you get more familiar you can make a more intelligent purchase on a new outfit.

I have never fished the area of note but my salt leader is a 4' butt section and a 8 to 20# tippet of 3 to 4' with a loop to loop connection. The butt section can be longer or a little shorter depending on the overall length of leader required but I usually use about a 7 to 8' total length. For any toothy critters you may need a bite (shock) tippet of wire or heavy mono. Usually 6 to 12" in enough. Wind will probably be the determining factor of your line wt requirement. That and the size fly you want to cast. I think 7 and 8 wts are most common in that area. Have fun.

pkins44

Reaction score
Shock tippet and don't store my gear in the jeep. Got it. I guess I'm still not understanding the temperature difference just yet. Ditz thanks for the info. I haven't dealt with many toothy critters in my neck of the woods and need to increase my knowledge on the subject for sure. Glad to hear I can get away with my current setup to start and make a decision once I become better acquainted with the salt. My big complaint with my current gear, and its driving me nuts currently, is that when I toss a weighted clouser or almost any weighted fly my rod feels like a wet noodle. I'm using the med. lead eyes or smaller no larger than 6/32. Just not happy with the lack of back bone. It's a great rod for unweighted flies just not anything with a little bit of lead. That's kinda the reason I thought I might want to upgrade to have more back bone.

Thanks for the help as always. I am going to check FF for sure and start bothering those guys for info too. :D

osok

Reaction score
If you want to get into Kayaking then go to PACKTX > Home Read the trip reports and check out the pictures. Another must visit is REDIRECT

Most of PACK trips are saltwater and a great way to learn spots to fish up and down the coast of Texas usually within 3 hrs. drive of Houston. Couple of trips each year are out to islands for 3 days. They fish both fly and conventional gear. I use 8 wt. as do most people.

Want to understand the temp difference is think of a mild sauna bath June-September. I live here and the fishing has its excellent months and then just a few slower months.

Fresh water trout are only available in Guadalupe River below Canyon Lake. Guadalupe River Trout Unlimited (GRTU) has a website. Join the club next fall for excellent access, fishing and getting to help with the club stockings. Will need to join if you want excellent access as all property is private with no trespass. A few places you can pay to access if you do not join.

Welcome to Texas. Most people were not born here but got here as fast as they could.

ditz

Reaction score
I hate to cast heavy weighted clousers. IMO there is no pleasure in casting them. I can cast the med. barbells on a 7wt but I only do it when absolutly needed. Med. on the 9wt is better but still not enjoyable to me. Also, your line has a big effect on the casting of the heavy clousers.

pkins44

Reaction score
I prefer the Bead Head Clousers as well. Unfortunately when I try a few of my favorite spots I need the extra weight. I need to try lining up to a 9wt I think.

I'm going to have to join TU if it will give me a little better access along the Guadeloupe river. I have tried fly fishing from a kayak before and think I would prefer a canoe. I enjoy kayaking quite a bit just not casting from one. Although I may just need some more practice and to get used to it.

And one thing is for sure, although I love the Dupage river, I could do without the rest of Illinois and can't wait to get to Texas. I'll be heading down for a few days (april 5th-10th) to talk with my new company and look for apartments on clear lake. I'll have my gear with me but not sure if I'll have anytime to introduce it to the salt.

Again I have to thank you all for the advice and hospitality towards this yankee. Hopefully I can buy you guys a beer when I get down there.

chuck s

Reaction score
Good advice above--esp the kayak fishing. I've been here in Port O'Connor for over a month now and nada as far as seeing any Reds or Sea Trout goes, but and it's a huge but, I'm shorebound to the few miles of shoreline, much of it mucky, between here, Seadrift and Port LaVaca. I'm not at all sure whether the fish are fished out or, the bay temps are too low, or the fish are all concentrated out along the barrier islands. Since I do see boats coming in with big Reds, Sea Trout and Drum, I suspect they are staying out along Matagorda Island, reachable by kayak!:cool:

osok

Reaction score
Good advice above--esp the kayak fishing. I've been here in Port O'Connor for over a month now and nada as far as seeing any Reds or Sea Trout goes, but and it's a huge but, I'm shorebound to the few miles of shoreline, much of it mucky, between here, Seadrift and Port LaVaca. I'm not at all sure whether the fish are fished out or, the bay temps are too low, or the fish are all concentrated out along the barrier islands. Since I do see boats coming in with big Reds, Sea Trout and Drum, I suspect they are staying out along Matagorda Island, reachable by kayak!:cool:
Patrick and Chuck:
Get Hook-N-Line maps to find areas to access along the Texas coast. They show areas for wading, kayaking and or power boating. If you kayak you will have a whole new world available to you vs. wading.
Hook-N-Line maps are sold at Academy, Fishing Tackle Unlimited and many other places. For best detail get one with just the area you want to concentrate in.
Go to Fishing Maps for Texas, California, and Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma: Welcome to the Hook-N-Line website

chuck s

Reaction score
I agree and have the map. Just no fish in close here and my kayak is in Wyoming.:eek:

---------- Post added at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

I agree and have the map. Just no fish in close here and my kayak is in Wyoming.:eek: