Poons!!!

theboz

Reaction score
Just want to let you guys who are hitting the Keys this month it's on!! The Tarpon are at all the bridges and all the usual flats and there is an abundance ! For the first time in my life I got spooled by a **** estimated at 175! Like trying to stop a train! Going out again tomorrow looking for something a bit smaller! Haha! Never seen so many all over , you just have to live it here it's a fly guy paradise ! Hope to see some of you down here !

theboz

Reaction score
Haha! No boat just crazy old me in the water up to my chest trying to keep up ! And the backing knot held , the leader was cut midway on I think a channel marker ! It was so crazy it took me an hour to stop shaking!! Monday I'm using a boat!! It was do far out and the most I got back at any time was a handful of turns when he changed direction!

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

And what really sunk in later was the fact that Thursday night in the same area we watched a guy lose a 100 lber to a hammerhead as long as the skiff!!

theboz

Reaction score
It's always fun wading in the Hammerhead's yard. :D Remember if they get frisky with you, hit 'em on the nose and say "Bad fishy, bad!" :p
Haha! Nooooo way!!! My boy was in the water with me and he tells me later all he could think about was we were getting eaten!! Thanks Bryan Bryan I thought you were in to help me land the fish not be an appetizer!!

ghocevar

Reaction score
So the water warmed up then?...I was down at Big Pine last week and 64 degree water temps put the fish down...sigh - there's always next time.

pkins44

Reaction score
Jealous here. Must be pretty intimidating, up to your chest in water, fighting a fish the size of a person. Not to mention the hammerhead. I hope you're floaties where firmly around your arms.:D

theboz

Reaction score
So the water warmed up then?...I was down at Big Pine last week and 64 degree water temps put the fish down...sigh - there's always next time.
It's like they woke up and smelled the coffee! They are all over and eating! This is generally a good week but this year it's off the charts!

Pocono

Reaction score
Spooled by a little fish like that.................! ;)

How's the drag on that reel of yours?

Just kiddin'; sounds like great fun.

Pocono

newby

Reaction score
If I lived anywhere near there by I'd buy an inexspensive 12 or 13 weight asap, get a good line on closeout along with an Allen Kraken reel and be there in a hurry.

So what's your personal best tarpon mr. TheBoz?

ditz

Reaction score
I guess my Colton Torrent with the drag pressure was a good investment:D:D....course I have never been hooked up to a tarpon.:worthy: ....I would like to get spooled once just for the brag'n rights:stretcher......Congrats

peterjay

Reaction score
Sounds like you had yourself an epic battle Boz; I'll bet you don't forget that fish any time soon. I'm glad it's warming up somewhere, because it sure isn't in VA. BTW - the grapevine tells me that Ditz is a very slow swimmer and splashes around a lot, so you might want to invite him along next time you go wading. He's definitely the guy I want by my side in hammerhead territory.:D

chuck s

Reaction score
:worthy:Way to go, given wading, etc over being in a boat. :cool:You did about as well as could be. Big Tarpon and wading is a hook up, hope and pray game and you'll only land them if they decide to turn around and run toward you a few times. Sounds like you're having fun!

ditz

Reaction score
BTW - the grapevine tells me that Ditz is a very slow swimmer and splashes around a lot, so you might want to invite him along next time you go wading. He's definitely the guy I want by my side in hammerhead territory.
I am an mediocre (sic) swimmer at best but I was a highschool sprinter and can still out run a lot of the young bucks for a short distance. .....Would probably need a 4way bypass afterwards though. :teef:

But don't invite me if you ain't serious....I hate to miss a chance to wet a line in the salt. Hammerheads or no. I may be fast but no one ever accussed me of being smart.

wjc

Reaction score
You hit it just right, Boz. Our Winter didn't really start till the 1st of March, and the cold snaps weren't that bad. Then it got warm again and the wind died. Wind is up again and now coming out of the NW between 15-20 knots with 4 nights predicted in the 50's and 60's, starting tonight.

That will cool off the tarpon fishing, but I'm hoping it'll warm up Friday and through the weekend without wind.

My buddy Wayne wants to go for tarpon again after a 15 year layoff on them. Usually he's gone back to Canada before they show up in good numbers. We've got Mon and Tues - then he's off for Quebec.

Congrads on the hookup from shore.

The two worst areas for hammerheads that I've fished are Channel 5 and Bahia Honda . Lots of tarpon in both.

Good luck.