correct reel and rod wt for reds need help pls!

ageriner

Reaction score
Hello all. Need some help. I just swapped out my new 7/8 TFO reel for a 9 wt and am deciding on either a 8 or 9 wt rod. I've been told the 9 will be better in the wind and have red that as well but the Bass Pro guy said the 9 would be overkill as in like a crane and another guy also said it was too much. Not sure if the BP guy knows his stuff. Another guy who used to be a guide recommended getting and 8 wt rod and overloading it w/ 9 wt line. Anyone! Please advise. I'm making a purchase and getting out there soon. Thanks. Andrew

thechroniclesofmasi

Reaction score
I throw a 8wt TFO BVK when chasing reds with a possible snook in the mix. That being said I feel comfortable fishing a 6wt fly logic when sight casting for reds. I can best any redfish in my area (nothing bigger that 36") in under 5 minutes with the 6wt. Once you get casting down the wind wont matter so much as the weight of the fly.

I can shoot the BVK farther in wind but hardly ever need to because in wind there is less visibility and distances are shorter.

Good luck!

drc

Reaction score
A 9 wt would not be overkill at all. I know a guy whose go to rod is a 10wt over lined with 11wt line! i guess it depends on where you are planning to fish. some fisheries are better that others. in the winter in south Louisiana you can get into some BIG fish. thats the only place i fish for reds and an 8wt is the lightest i'll go. but everyone is entitled to their opinions.

mrfzx

Reaction score
I fish for Reds in Louisiana, and my usual rod is an 8wt TFO BVK or an 8wt Orvis Helios. I have a 7wt Orvis T3 that I have been using for Steelies, and I think I may give it a shot at some Reds in June......I just love the way it feels. Honestly it kind of depends on where you are fishing. If you need to stop a bull charging for a brush pile, then you will not mind having the 9 in your hand. If you are in open water, and can play them a bit more easily then a lighter rod might actually be more fun. Either way, you can't go wrong with an 8wt.

thechroniclesofmasi

Reaction score
Looks like the BVK is king! :cool: Mine works well in all conditions except for the super quick turn, like under docks. When I fish docks I use a TFO Lefty Kreh Pro Special which is Med action 8wt and use a DT 9wt line. The slower action TFO Pro Special is a brute and is about twice as strong as the BVK. It all depends on location as stated above.

pete a

Reaction score
8wt is hard to beat for many applications. However don't be caught undergunned if the wind is up or the water clarity requires larger bulky flies. Wind down here on Texas and Louisiana make below a 8wt with most flies pretty tough much of the time.

Often bushy heavy Clouser of 3/0 are used and then an 8 feels too light. We saw some bruisers that would have been tough to land in weeds with light stuff.

When wade fishing I use an 8 as Ill be doing plenty of blind casting. But from a boat a 7 & 10wt would be darn near ideal. 10wt be awfully handy if some Jacks (jack crevalle) are spotted, with these guys a 10 makes for fair reasonable length fight. Not often but these guys are around enough to make you glad you had the 10.

Won't suggest a specific rod/brand as many work (plus it just spins into a "mines better" argument) however too fast can be a hindrance for short fast accurate cast so often needed.

Pete A.

Bonefishdick

Reaction score
An 8 wt or 9 wt would be fine, it just comes down to what feels better to you and finding a good deal.

As far as Bass Pro, a lot of the people who work there are there not because of there knowledge but rather their availability, I'm not saying all the people who work there don't know there stuff but I have met a number who will leave you walking away scratching your head. You would be be better served to get advice from someone you trust about selecting gear.

I use 9 wts and never felt over gunned when fishing for Reds. If I lived in the South I would use an 8 wt most of the time and break out the 9 when I thought I needed it.

peterjay

Reaction score
Good Advice above. I'd go with the heaviest rod you feel comfortable casting. There are gonna be situations when you'll wish you had more rod, but damned few when you'll wish you had less. Every rod is different, as is every fisherman, but the average 9wt will cover a lot of situations without wearing out your casting arm. My 9wt sees more action than all my other rods combined - everything from spring stripers to false albacore.

rvc

Reaction score
You might want to try to find a guide or two in the area you plan to fish. They could probably give you some pretty decent advice.

RVC

ditz

Reaction score
Peterjay above stated that every rod is different and this is not to be minimized. I have a 7wt that I have overlined with an 8 and IMHO has as much or more backbone as many 9wt rods. (not all) The main advantage of a 9wt for me is it's ability handle a little more wind. Each rod must be evaluated on it's own merits. Backbone in a salt rod is in many cases important. It helps push a line into the wind and allows one to lay into a fish if it is really needed.

lostangler

Reaction score
I suggest the 4wt. bamboo and clicker reel.

Really any good eight wt. set up you're happy with will do fine. The reel is really a non issue, as long as it is a pretty decent large arbor reel you'll be fine. You may not even need it depending on where you fish at.

Redfish rods are like bass, often over complicated.