Waterproofs for the tropics?!

almonde

Reaction score
I'm going to Belize next month for my first flats fishing trip. I've pretty much got all my kit together for the trip. Spent the past few weeks tying up a box of bonefish flies, which as a relative newbie to tying I was pretty pleased with, took the box to my local fly shop and was told it didn't need any supplementing :D

In most of the equipment lists I've read it suggests to bring some rain wear (it's the start of the rainy season in Belize). Apparently it can be quite cold when running to the flats in the panga. So my question is, do you guys take rainwear to the tropics, or just get wet then dry out? If so can you recommend me a breathable shell jacket? Ideally it would be packable (ie fold up into itself).

Cheers,
Alex.

mysticm

Reaction score
Alex,
I would take a generic breathable shell. I have a waterproof Marmot shell that is lightweight, packable (folds into one of it's pockets) and has good breathability. Other companies - North Face, Patagonia also make their own versions. Pick one based on your budget, fit etc.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Alex,
I would take a generic breathable shell. I have a waterproof Marmot shell that is lightweight, packable (folds into one of it's pockets) and has good breathability. Other companies - North Face, Patagonia also make their own versions. Pick one based on your budget, fit etc.
What he said.

Dennis

PS: Have a great trip!

almonde

Reaction score
Thanks guys, i'll make sure there is a packable shell in my boat bag. See what i can get at Amazon.

fr8dog

Reaction score
I have a Footjoy short sleeve golf rain shirt a buddy gave me. Works like a champ. It's one size larger than I normally wear and slips over my regular shirt. I had my daughter add some Velcro to tighten the neck to help keep water out. Coleman makes an inexpensive suit you can get at Wal-Mart. Comes with a pouch for the jacket and pants. I've used it in some serious downpours and stayed dry. Breathes well and the price is right.

The frogg toggs, not too impressed. Light, easy to pack, but I always felt damp and they start to leak around the seams quickly.

My gore-tex stuff is a bit too warm for the tropics.

For regular clothes, I wear the Columbia or Magellan shirts, and shorts that the surfer guys use. They are very comfortable and dry in minutes.

My .02 on this.

Good luck on the trip! I would love to make it down there one day.

Last edited:

almonde

Reaction score
Some useful tips fr8dog, thanks.

I just ordered a Marmot Precip from Rock Creek Outfitters, they had 20% off and free shipping, so was $79 delivered.

jimp

Reaction score
anything with Gore-Tex will be waterproof and breathes well, is windproof as well. Cabelas/BPS have some decent deals on at times well, sometimes the jacket or pants will be on sale/clearance for $100 each, well worth the $$ IMO. Enjoy your trip

swampdonkey

Reaction score
Agreed with all the above and definitely bring a rain coat. We got caught in a few different rain storms over 4 days when in Belize. I have a lightweight gortex jacket from Eastern Mountain Sports that works really well as it packs down very small.

pjcalla

Reaction score
Some useful tips fr8dog, thanks.

I just ordered a Marmot Precip from Rock Creek Outfitters, they had 20% off and free shipping, so was $79 delivered.
I have the Marmot Precip, and I was actually going to recommend that to you before I read you already purchased it. I have the pants as well, and use it for my golf rain gear. Packs small, waterproof, and it actually breathes pretty well.

theboz

Reaction score
Nylon pullover wind breaker always works for me. Drys fast and not much to pack. Never had much of a problem drying off in the tropics and actually a good rain storm was refreshing at times !

half fast

Reaction score
On dive trips, I always take along a hooded nylon windbreaker that I've waterproofed with a Scotchguard treatment. Folded it takes up almost no space in my drybag, and it's inexpensive enough that if I damage it or lose it I haven't lost very much.

Or you could carry an umbrella..... :)