Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: 1st salt experience -- Delaware Bay

delaware horseshoe crab port mahon - Bing Images

When I grew up the beaches were full of them in the spring and the flies were overwhelming. they are making a big comeback.

Their great crushed up in a chum pot for winter flounder. That's where I like them best !
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

3. Default Re: 1st salt experience -- Delaware Bay

Ah, Turbine...you beat me to it! I just got an outfit to do some surf fishing, but I plan to go on the ocean side south of the cape. The crowds are starting to show up but north of the towers or south of Dewey along the national seashore should be sparse enough to do some casting. There's usually decent patches of baitfish along there.

NIce report, I can't wait to try it. (An injury prevents me right now).

Quote Originally Posted by gutterpunk View Post
    Ah, Turbine...you beat me to it! I just got an outfit to do some surf fishing, but I plan to go on the ocean side south of the cape. The crowds are starting to show up but north of the towers or south of Dewey along the national seashore should be sparse enough to do some casting. There's usually decent patches of baitfish along there.

NIce report, I can't wait to try it. (An injury prevents me right now).
    I go early and leave the beach around 10am or after work around 6pm plenty of room. Between 11am and 5pm is the most crowded.

Turbine,

Nice report, and sounds like you had a lot of fun. I've found the surf to be a lot more fun even when the fish aren't biting. I was out a couple of weeks ago and was struggling to put together some decent casts. I caught a few small perch and had something take me for a ride and break me off. Otherwise, my head wasn't in the game.

Around dusk, there was nobody around except for me and one surfer. All of a sudden, a gray whale popped up about 100 yards from shore. It was massive, and I was shocked. I've only seen them maybe three times in my lifetime from the shore. This one was amazingly close. The surfer tried to paddle out to where it had surfaced, but neither of us saw it after that. It was just a few seconds of pure wonder.

After a tough few hours in rough conditions, that whale was the best thing to happen. I'll never forget that experience. I sometimes get so distracted watching dolphins and pelicans along the shore that I forget about fishing.

Cheers,

-VB

Rip you jinxed me! Now they want to have a threesome with my boot! One was bad enough!
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

7. Likes Rip Tide liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by theboz View Post
    Rip you jinxed me! Now they want to have a threesome with my boot! One was bad enough!
    Wading boots that takes all the fun out of it

9. Likes theboz liked this post

I agree...i stepped on one barefoot that was hiding under the sand in FL, didnt really feel pleasant
    "When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."

Storm Drain Bonefisher

Turbine,
    I had the same experience like you a month a go in WPB, FL. I didn't catch anything either but had a blast and gained a lot of experience. I don't have a SW trip in mind right not, but I bid you a good luck in your next trip and catch a good one for all of us to see.
    I am highly qualified to comment in this forum after receiving a Specialized High Intensive Training (S.H.I.T) at the Olde Schitt Institute of Technology (O.S.H.I.T).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12