stripping basket advice

Rip Tide

Reaction score
The problem with a basket like that is all the line ends up in the center of the mesh and will tangle. I'm sure some people make it work but as far as I'm concerned you're just asking for trouble
My buddy uses a mesh basket but has homemade "fingers" to keep the line loops separate. You can see it in the bottom right corner of the picture
My homemade basket you can find on this page
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-fishing-faqs/173904-gear-fly-fishing-surf.html

4wt

Reaction score
That's what I was wondering, I haven't seen anyone using a mesh one like that before.

I found a video on how to make one for about $9, I think I'll do that.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Yeah most guys either make their own or get the Orvis.
I've tried to get people to admit that they regret shelling out 60 bucks for an Orvis dish pan..... no one ever does.
Everyone that's got one loves it.
Not me, I'm too cheap for that :rolleyes:

half fast

Reaction score
I'm going to try making one from a small plastic basket I picked up at Big Lots for a couple of bucks. I'll probably use one of my old scuba weight belts (sans weights). I might try the wire nuts in the bottom, but I've also heard of people using a piece of astro turf carpet. Any of you guys ever try that?

fr8dog

Reaction score
I have one of the WJ baskets. Save your money. I used it once. Ran to wally world and built one like the post above. Been using it for years.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I have one of those WJ stripping baskets. It works okay, but I would rather have a hard basket.

The popular basket on the West Coast scene is the Bucket Shooter. It is a knock off of the Hip Shooter which is no longer available.

Dennis

swirlchaser

Reaction score
I have one of those WJ stripping baskets. It works okay, but I would rather have a hard basket.

The popular basket on the West Coast scene is the Bucket Shooter. It is a knock off of the Hip Shooter which is no longer available.

Dennis
I had that bucket, the Mangrove Hip Shooter. It worked well until my puppy at the time decided to chew it to shreds.:mad:

idahoclouser

Reaction score
Built one today out of a step stool and a gait belt from the hospital my girlfriend works at. Turned out quite well. Drilled holes for the water to drain in case I go for an unexpected dip.

650flyguy

Reaction score
I use a Mangrove, mostly in the CA surf.
It is light, packs up well, durable, drains great and does the job.
Only gripe I have with it is if a wave hits it just right the bottom can pop out.

mudbug

Reaction score

650flyguy

Reaction score
Built one today out of a step stool and a gait belt from the hospital my girlfriend works at. Turned out quite well. Drilled holes for the water to drain in case I go for an unexpected dip.

Perfect contour.
If any one know a place to purchase a similar step stool I'd appreciate that information.
Another member also suggested using a tool caddy from a shop vac.

idahoclouser

Reaction score
Not IKEA but the similarity is uncanny. I purchased this one at Target. They had this olive/blue color and a pink one for the ladies.